New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gaiters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here used the Kenetrek brand of gaiters? If so what do you think of the product? Good, not good, and why?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair a couple years back after I lost my Outdoor Reaserch Crocodiles who knows where. They work fine so far. I do like the OR's a bit better mainly because they're somewhat tougher. But I'm a long way from wearing the Kenetrek's out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have kenetrek gaiters and a pair of 27 year old OR gaiters that are my first choice.I have not had an issues to speak of with kenetrek,they are lighter in weight.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought some British military surplus gaiters that are tougher then any commercial.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Outdoor Research Crocodiles
I have a pair of these and don't plan on replacing them for a Decade.

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Kenetreks and have no complaints.

I only wear them in snow.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Kenetreks are great. I have a pair and like them. A friend of mine who hunts Alaska all of the time swears by Kenetreks and he has quite a few other brands. I also like my KUIUs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought myself and my wife a pair of the Kenetrek gaitors a few years back. We've not used them a whole bunch but when we have used them they have worked great. I'm happy with them.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Kenetrek, but I love my ORs. Used them a lot for Search and Rescue in addition to hunting and just working around our 10 acres.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Google MacGaiter. A Scottish brand. Neoprene.
Hard wearing. Silent. Reasonable price. Something different.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2243 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though gaiters can accomplish several functions (in NZ they even combine neoprene and others to act as gumboots) but I find them all a PITA to put on when you need to get out before dawn.

So, I sew ersatz canvas from the knees down inside my hunting pants; and they're on in a moment. With luck the combination is thick enough to scrape the venom off the fangs of any snake we have around here, at least.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've tried many brands over the years and if you don't need something quiet the ORs are great but the Stoney Creek are the best silent gaters I've worn. https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz/...rd-gaiters-long.html

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kuiu's gaiters are great.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the kenetreks and they were ok, but I've been using the kuiu for the last 4 years and like them better.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had OR for a long time. Maybe 12-14 years. Last season the buckle broke. I went online, sent them in and instead of a repair, they sent a new set. How do you beat that? You might find them a bit on the noisy side compared to Kenetrek and Kuiu. The fabric is bombproof.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
While I agree on the toughness of OR gaiters I've never noticed any difference in noise compared to Kenetreks's. I've had both.

I've also had a pair of gaiters for a long time of some unknown name that have fleece on the outside, nylon on the inside. Now those are quiet. But they would never take the thrashing a pair of OR's could. But then OR's are designed for mountaineering, meaning use with crampons which none of the other brands are.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Kenetrack gaitors for cold weather, and I have their boots also, the packer that's great for a saddle or walking in snow up to 2 feet..I have lighter gaitors for Africa where they are a must to keep the bugs from crawling up your leg..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though protecting your legs makes sense to me, many hunters in NZ, Africa and our Northern Territory seem more intent on keeping cool - and wear shorts. Then gaiters may be reduced to elasticised cotton covers to stop socks getting covered with grass seeds. I have a rude name for them, borrowed from that of an aussie fried scone (biscuit) but it is not printable in this age of inclusion.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Yup gaiters are there to keep grass seeds and sand out of your boots. Often made of soft kudu leather and are light and comfortable to wear. Leather is less noisy than canvas or cotton. When hunting kudu and other antelope I always wear shorts. A lot quieter than long trousers especially when in thorn country. The sound of thorns rubbing against trousers is a lot louder than the scraping of thorns against naked skin and the resultant silent screams. Seriously, I only ever hunt antelope in shorts and most birdshooting is done wearing long trousers

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst engaged in guiding buffalo hunts in the Tropical North of Arnhemland my preferred attire, for the same reason as most have posted here, noise, was also shorts.
As opposed to gaiters, and in spite of the plethora of venomous snakes in the region, I always wore spats, or putties to some, as I found regular gaiters just too hot for regular use.

Spatts work just as well in keeping foreign debris out of your boots and only just cover the top of the boot hence the rest of your legs are out in the cool fresh air and not overheating.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off topic a bit, I don’t need gaiters. I wear Le Chameau knee high boots for all my hunting. I stay dry, helps in snake territory, and keeps my feet warm in snow and cold conditions. I’m on my third pair of them. Never a blister if fitted right.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote