Notify
Tools

Delorome inreach?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone else using one of these?
http://www.inreachdelorme.com

I have one and can only say good things about it so far - two way communication from anywhere in the world is awesome.

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Great little device. a must have if hunting anywhere remote. Lots of outfitters have started using them to communicate between guides and base camp. I always recommend them to anyone asking about sat phones.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for being late for this party. Been out of communication for some time. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, it's a PITA to operate. Now, I don't have one but one of the 4 guys in our moose camp do. He wasn't in camp this last year but loaned it to one of the other guys. What a hassle to operate. It definitely is NOT a simple procedure to send out a message. Both myself and at least 1 other guy tried to work it with little success. IMHO, IF you were in an emergency situation and had to get a message out fast, you'd easily be SOL. Also, you're in the bush on a hunt or other type of trip so why do you NEED to get in touch with "the little lady" or someone else?
MUCH, MUCH better, IME, is the S.P.O.T. Operation is bonehead simple and getting a message out is fast and reliable. I always take my S.P.O.T. with me on a hunt and occasionally, we're gone for up to 3 weeks at a time. My unit has always worked for us even on the north side of the Brooks Range. No problems.
In short, you couldn't give me the DeLorme.
Just my experiences.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like mine and it is simple to use if you use the bluetooth feature and type messages on the iPhone. The internal keypad is a pain in the ass if you don't bluetooth off a phone but you aren't typing War and Peace on the thing. I've used it in Alaska and parts of Africa without issue. And the SOS feature for an emergency is about as easy as it gets. I also carry it offshore when diving and for work in Eastern Europe and the ME. It is a good backup for my PLB.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonW28:
I really like mine and it is simple to use if you use the bluetooth feature and type messages on the iPhone. The internal keypad is a pain in the ass if you don't bluetooth off a phone but you aren't typing War and Peace on the thing. I've used it in Alaska and parts of Africa without issue. And the SOS feature for an emergency is about as easy as it gets. I also carry it offshore when diving and for work in Eastern Europe and the ME. It is a good backup for my PLB.

Don

Exactly, it has to be the easiest piece of high tech equipment to use - unless you are technically challenged...

My 12 year old kid had it waxed in a couple of minutes and had a smartphone and iPad all hooked up, and communications sorted before I even lit the Kelly kettle to brew the first cuppa tea!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking about getting one. Let me see if I understand.
You can send a text and receive a text on it?

Or you can hook up your iPhone and send the text that way, even without a cell signal?

Do they run on batteries or do they have a charger system?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes you can send and receive texts on it. takes longer than texting on a smartphone but still faster than texting on older cell phones.

you can also pair up a phone (older version have to be paired, but newer versions can be standalone)

no batteries, just an internal rechargable battery. (serious design flaw)

but overall still comes in handy. does take a few minutes sometimes to send or receive a message (while it acquires signal). for sending short messages and SOS, it does the trick. I did trigger SOS recently (not sure how when it was just in my pack) but the response team called up every damn family member I have, and were tracking my movement. I did not "confirm SOS" or I am sure they would have sent someone. Did feel good to know that they take even an unconfirmed SOS seriously.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Thinking about getting one. Let me see if I understand.
You can send a text and receive a text on it?

Or you can hook up your iPhone and send the text that way, even without a cell signal?

Do they run on batteries or do they have a charger system?

Yes you can send and receive texts even without cell signal (that's the beauty of it)

No batteries but the internal last a very long time if you think about how to use it properly - solar charching is quick and hassle free

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guide in Alaska has one unlimited texts is good. He had a lot going on at home so whenever we were tentbound or a lull he would be typing away. I have a sat phone and while great, and better overall, I am glad I did not have to listen to him talking to his wife etc. A real benefit. Plus it is cheaper than a sat phone, and you text a phone on the other end. I may need to look into one as well.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I'm a little perplexed by the gentleman who called them difficult to use, we use two in my outfitting operation as our sole means of communication from the North Coast British Columbia (100 miles south of Alaska). It's our lifeline, and we use it to call in the floatplane, get weather updates from home, etc. It's also cheap to run compared to a sat phone, and will go 3-4 days on a battery charge depending on usage. It also lets me track my guides, sending coordinates for every message if you want to set it to run that way, and it can do check ins automatically with location.

Get the orange one (Explorer I think), ignorant as that sounds I can't remember the names of both units, I have one Explorer I believe it's called with built in GPS, and one standard / non GPS (yellow). The GPS function is worth it for the $100 or so extra. I suspect the fellow who called it difficult was trying to type on the device with the cursor, one letter at a time, and didn't know about pairing it to a smartphone. With a phone, you get moving map display of location with the Explorer model even "offline" / out of cell coverage, and it's just like regular text messaging, you use your phone which connects through the inreach. This may not be familiar to older generations, but it's dirt simple, if you can send texts at home in town you can do it with the inreach in the field, it's no different.

Ours have been flawless, a little slow to send / receive when deep in the river valleys chasing brown bears with steep mountains either side, but almost as fast as regular texting from up top on the mountains with a clear view of the sky when hunting goats. I've never had it fail to get a message out, regardless of weather. They're also lighter than a sat phone, CRITICAL for backpack hunts, ounces count.

The unit is waterproof, light, reliable, and versatile when used as a GPS too. Highly recommended.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote