New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking the Grand Canyon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this forum is "Backpack Hunting" but I thought that by coming here I could reach some base of knowledge and experience that would be helpful for a hike up & down the Grand Canyon.

Four of us are planning a hike from the South Rim via S. Kaibab trail to the river, and back up the same day via Bright Angel trail April 26, 2021.

We've been told that a one day turn around is an ambitious undertaking, more for the steep elevation gain coming out than the distance.

We are all fairly experienced hikers, with experience in the Sierra, Cascades, Tetons and British Columbia. Good to go with the concepts of hydration, proper conditioning and footwear.

Any knowledge/experience with the Grand Canyon out there anyone wishes to share?

Cheers.....

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
You are correct this is not a forum for joy hiking. I'm sure there are other sites that can answer the questions you have.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
posted Hide Post
TWL:

I have done that hike a million times. Some of us enjoy being outdoors even if we don't kill anything. And I suspect we never have to have the guides wait for us either.

If you are experienced, that hike is a piece of cake. The last time I was in the GC I did Bright Angel to the river and back (15.2 miles) in 6 hrs 15 minutes including breaks for lunch and two quick stops to drink water at Indian Gardens. One guy actually passed us who was doing the hike you are planning - I estimate he did that in less than four hours, but he was flying.

You will have to get the shuttle from GC village (Bright Angel Lodge area) to Kaibab, but they run often. Park your car in that area, catch the shuttle, and take off.

There is water at Indian Gardens and along Bright Angel every 1.5 miles after that (going up). If you intend to filter water from the Colorado, take a few coffee filters to put over the suction tube. I would just bring 3 liters; you can cross the bridge at the bottom and fill up at Phantom Ranch as well.

PM me if you want more information.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Az. PM inbound.

Best....TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One other point: remember that as you descend the canyon, the temperature gets warmer. If it looks like the temps will be high, you might want to start early; don't know your heat tolerance. We did a south to north hike in one day in late May and it was over 100 at Phantom Ranch, but I just kept soaking my shirt in the creek as went up North Kaibab.

Obviously make sure you have good boots - blisters can be a problem. The cloth type hiking boots/shoes work very well on those trails because they don't have loose rock but if you decide to hike a backcountry trail instead, use a firm boot.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously make sure you have good boots

I've been to the South side where the trail starts. It goes down, like right now. Very steep and narrow

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Obviously make sure you have good boots

I've been to the South side where the trail starts. It goes down, like right now. Very steep and narrow

Grizz

Kaibab is a four lane highway compared to some of the backcountry trails such as New Hance.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great thread. Thanks for starting it, TWL, and thanks, AZ, for your input. I'd love to do this before I cash in, but the three lumbar surgeries and 67 years on the planet probably dictate making this a two-day affair.
And as to the suitability of non-hunting hiking questions in this forum, many of the posts in the Handgun Hunting forum have little to do with hunting. No one seems to mind.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill/Oregon.

In addition to his post, AZ also supplied a gracious PM in response to my OP.

Don't let your personal situation hold you back. The members of my group are at the 70 year old mark, and we've all had myriad orthopedic surgeries. We still hike and backpack regularly and hunt DG.

You can do it.

114-R10David

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is very cool and inspiring. Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met an 80 year old guy in the bottom on the Canyon a few years ago. I am 61 and MsAZW is 62.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sticks will help for the back. A very big help. Consider an electrolyte replacement like Wilderness Athlete, especially for the trip back up. And make sure you have a Camel Back or like water delivery system- no stopping and fishing around every time you want a sip. Having hiked most of those trails a training tip would be to try and get some downhill miles in with a light load. It seems in my case that the downhill is harder on the body. This may help with shin splints. Even in early April a daylight departure is worth considering.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Sticks will help for the back. A very big help. Consider an electrolyte replacement like Wilderness Athlete, especially for the trip back up. And make sure you have a Camel Back or like water delivery system- no stopping and fishing around every time you want a sip. Having hiked most of those trails a training tip would be to try and get some downhill miles in with a light load. It seems in my case that the downhill is harder on the body. This may help with shin splints. Even in early April a daylight departure is worth considering.

crane: excellent advice; I can't believe I didn't mention sticks. Going downhill is harder and slower than going up, especially with a heavy pack, at least for us. My theory is if you hike/bike a lot, your hamstrings are used to working, but nothing outside of going downhill exercises your quads. Going down 10-12 miles will result in sore legs the next day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll weigh in since you asked for feedback from folks with Grand Canyon experience. I've hiked/run the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim in a day (south rim to north rim, back to south rim).

The hike you are proposing is perfectly reasonable if you and your group are in shape and prepared. The trails you will be utilizing are likely some of the nicest trails you've ever been on. They're graded for mules, are perfectly smooth surfaces (no rocks, roots, etc), and are quite wide. Going down will be a breeze.

Heading back up is where you will get tired. Make certain you have enough water and appropriate, easy to digest snacks. At the same time, don't weigh yourself down with a ridiculous amount of water or gear. I believe when I hiked/ran it I never carried more than two or three liters of water at a time. There are faucets with drinkable water in numerous places. Call ahead of time and make certain these are turned on.

Trail runners are a much better choice than hiking boots for most. Take a change of socks. The trekking poles recommendation is good, they certainly help on the way up, as well as on the way down.

If Covid is under control by the time of your trip, I recommend the IMAX movie in the visitor center. The Grand Canyon is an amazing place and hiking down into it (and then back up to get out) is a special experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who have offered their insight. I have never used poles but I think I'll get a pair and try them out on some training hikes.

We don't plan on carrying much in the way of gear, other than water and, as mentioned, easily digestible snacks. I also carry extra socks as well as a micro-first aide kit.

I've heard from others that 3 or 4 liters of water per hiker is about right, leaving a buffer if needed for the hiker or someone else. Also aware there is water along the trail, at least seasonally.

Been to the south rim several times and have seen the IMAX movie. It is a must see. My grandkids really enjoyed it.

Rim-to-rim in one day is pretty impressive. Rim-to-rim-to-rim is insane! Good on you, Overland.

Thanks, again guys.

Best....TWL

114-R10David

one of us
posted Hide Post
TWL- there is a little bit of science on exactly how to set your length on the sticks. Sure you can source it online. Executive summary- slightly longer for DH. slightly shorter for UH. Huge help for the back and knees.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Thanks to those who have offered their insight. I have never used poles but I think I'll get a pair and try them out on some training hikes.

We don't plan on carrying much in the way of gear, other than water and, as mentioned, easily digestible snacks. I also carry extra socks as well as a micro-first aide kit.

I've heard from others that 3 or 4 liters of water per hiker is about right, leaving a buffer if needed for the hiker or someone else. Also aware there is water along the trail, at least seasonally.

Been to the south rim several times and have seen the IMAX movie. It is a must see. My grandkids really enjoyed it.

Rim-to-rim in one day is pretty impressive. Rim-to-rim-to-rim is insane! Good on you, Overland.

Thanks, again guys.

Best....TWL

Especially, if you're a bit unstable on your feet, poles are a great help.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote