THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Coues Whitetail Backcountry Success

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coues Whitetail Backcountry Success
 Login/Join

posted
We had a very exciting day in the backcountry this weekend. We got to our glassing spot an hour before sunlight. We started glassing and didn't see much until about 9. I glass up a good buck, I would put him at about 95. He was sidehilling pretty quickly so we stand up and get ready to go after him when we see deer right in front of us. A doe and 3 fawns were about 40 yards downhill from us. We watched them for a second and then bumped them to go after this buck. Well we don't get very far before we see the doe and her fawns tearing up the hill. A mountain lion was chasing them full speed. You could even hear it snarling at them, very scary noises. The lion swiped at one of the fawns but missed and stood broadside, out of breath. So I threw my gun on top of my tripod and yelled range him!! 500 yards, so I looked at my ballistic chart taped to my gun, 25 inch drop. I had him in my crosshairs, broadside, about to shoot but I couldn't get steady enough to let one go before he took off. After that we hike a few more miles glassing as we went. We took a nap and decided to go back to that hillside we saw the buck and the lion. We get there and almost immediately I glass up a 3x3 2 ridges over. As I throw up my spotting scope to get a better look at him, I end up glassing the hillside closer to me by mistake. I ended up glassing up a bedded 2x2 right in front of us. I decided to go after him even though he was about the same size as my last deer. I had a bunch of school work to do and couldn't really afford to stay the whole length of my hunt without hurting my grades. I sneak in to 350 yards, get set up and start waiting for him to stand up. About an hour goes by just staring at this buck so I decided to take a little less practical shot through the neck. I have been practicing a lot, working my load to perfection, had a ballistics table, and an outdoorsmans front and rear support. I go through my sequence and BOOM! I back off my rifle and scan the hillside as I pump another round in. No movement, good sign. I pack up and hike over to the ridge and back range to where I shot from (315 yards), I wait for my buddy adrian to get over to me before going further. He said he saw me shoot, then blinked, and then there was no deer. We walk over to where he was and sure enough there's my buck piled up. While we were cleaning him up and quarting him in the dark we definately heard something turning over rocks and lurking just out of sight. So after we finished cleaning we hustled up to the trail and headed back to the truck. 4 hours and several miles later, DONE on opening day.
Thanks for reading,
Connor

Vegetarian-A bad hunter. Someone who survives by consuming not food, but the stuff that food eats.
The vegetarian was forced to subsist on slower prey, such as the broccoli and carrot.

Posts: 9 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great photos and story. I hope you are still after them 9 years later.

I was never very interested in Coues deer hunting, but the tv show MeatEater has shown me that this is something I need to try. Apparently the tag is easy to get (OTC?) and not many pursue them.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting Coues south of the border for a number of years now. Once Coues deer hunting gets in your blood, it's hard to rid yourself of the malady. Big Grin Small deer, long shots, hard to spot, lots of exercise, good Mexican food, typically great weather. . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that they can be found in parts of Arizona, too patriot

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted coues in Mexico many times, in Arizona a couple of times and many times in Texas Big Bend Park area and North of Marathon, Texas..I love to hunt the little buggers, they are the smartest of deer, and the most beautiful. I,ve shot some real dandys that would make the book I bet, but I never get into the book stuff..My hunting is just between me and the animal, but to those with a tape I respect your approach, it probably needs to be done as a matter of fact..

Rideing horseback under those high rimrocks.so high the eagle fly around them according to my dad, it,s a rough and tumble hunt but the Coues and the Muleys big bucks like to bed at the base of rimrocks, jump one, then bail off your horse and shoot offhand! Its my thing,no better hunt in the world if your ranch raised and a skilled horseman and a decent shot its definatl to your advantage..I had Jack O'Connor hunting them with me like that and he was a fair horseman and one hell of an off hand shot, the best Ive seen..I told dad he was slow getting off and getting a shot but when his rifle went bang on deer or Javalina something died..Not many people hunt this way anymore, they get in a good area, tie their horse or saddle mule up and walk!! then go get the horse and come back for the deer...A coues you can just lay across your lap and ride your horse to the house or camp. takes the better part of a day to walk back to get a horse and lead him home..

That's the way we did it growing up and something many folks should give a try if they decent horsemanship, it will get into your blood.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote