Find
Notify
Tools

17 miles on AT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
Started Punchbowl Mt Virginia Friday at 6:30 pm and stopped Sunday at 9:30 am. I only did 17 miles. How some people can do 30 miles a day amazes me. Great time spent with my Son. Had the opportunity to talk with a through hiker that started the Northern route on March 19th. Imagine hiking downhill on all those switch backs with all rain we had had this Spring. Those guys have will power.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave the thought of through hiking the AT some serious thought for some time.

Then when I had the time health and age started to play a factor.

I wish I would have had the time 10 years earlier.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Many of us on here think of ourselves as being adventurous. Hiring a guide to go on a hunt is nothing compared to through backing packing the AT or Pacific Crest Trail. I realize how non adventurous I am when I step on the scales. Imagine all the wildlife you would experience on one of those long trips. Read below about Andrew Skurka, he is a stud. In 2010 he hiked a 4,679 mile route around Alaska, which took him 176 days.

Don’t know how but I gained five pounds on this past hike. I want to section the Tenn/NC crest as well as President Mt in New Hampshire. Both of those sections are over 6000 feet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Skurka

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote