New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another boot question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pair of Lowas that I plan to take with me on my sheep hunt. OcAssionally , on very rough ground particularly when it is hot, the underside of my left big toe burns. I just did a serious hike yesterday in Colorado. I have the issue today.

The boots are well broken in. I have walked hundreds of miles in them.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, does it feel like chafing? The joint at the base of the big toe is susceptible to arthritis, gout, and other such maladies, which may create such a sensation. Might just be from overuse.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is from friction . High heat, rough ground and I lead with that leg.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Short of getting new boots, I guess you could try some measure to keep your foot farther back. Perhaps a pad behind the top of your toes, together with extra care tightening the laces; locking them somehow at, say, the third eyelet/hook.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I notice something similar to this when my insoles are wore out. I'd go there first.
What socks are you using? I think this is almost as critical to happy feet as the insole.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough socks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, do you have a liner sock which make your feet able to kind of glide inside the boot when walking ?

Silk or Coolmaz socks may prevent this and then a wool outside to take away the moist from swetting.

If not better start walking with a Compeed put on underneith the toe. Let be on the toe for the whole hunt. Bring spare Compeeds in case it falls of when taking the socks off for the night.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore the boots in New Zealand where we hiked extensively . They were not a problem. In Colorado, it was HOT. The ground was rough. On the way down, I was going really fast. The burning started.

I do wear a liner when hunting. I was not wearing them Tuesday.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I haven't used those socks but they do seem to be good depending on which ones. It leads me back to the boots / insoles. They may be broken down enough to need replacement(insoles), or the heat with the swelling assosciated with that pair of boots and sweaty feet are allowing to much slipping.

P.S. Have you considered going to s real sport shoe store to ask questions? Climbing and Hiking boots put very diffeent stresses on things. It may be as easy as changing to a different insole and lacing the boot differently.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Back when I did a lot of mountain hunting I would use a thin cool max liner sock under a smart wool outer sock and put moleskin bandages on toes and back of heel to prevent chaffing and blisters. Moleskin is wonderful stuff.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silly question - am not finding the liners on Darn Tough... where on the site are they? I see the ones on REI, but would rather buy better quality.

Thanks!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, try sprinkling some baby powder in your boots. When it's hot, it helps absorb some of sweat and reduces the friction from wet socks.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

My feet were fine on the hunt. I used Darn Tough socks, liner socks (not wool, will have to check the brand) and I sprinkled Anti- Monkey Butt powder in the socks and boots. In the 3 days I hiked over 35 miles over extremely rough terrain carrying probably 45 pounds on my back. The 4th day I climbed up and down the mountain 4 times. This mountain had massive boulder fields.

I will tell you all about a serious mistake I made. I bought Kevlar laces. Had I not taken them out, I would have been hobbled. I could not tighten my boots sufficently with then. NEVER again will I use them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry! You can't leave us hangin', how was the hunt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my way back about a week early. Got an 11 yeAr old ram on the 4th day. Will prepare a report when I get home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Gentlemen:

My feet were fine on the hunt. I used Darn Tough socks, liner socks (not wool, will have to check the brand) and I sprinkled Anti- Monkey Butt powder in the socks and boots. In the 3 days I hiked over 35 miles over extremely rough terrain carrying probably 45 pounds on my back. The 4th day I climbed up and down the mountain 4 times. This mountain had massive boulder fields.

I will tell you all about a serious mistake I made. I bought Kevlar laces. Had I not taken them out, I would have been hobbled. I could not tighten my boots sufficently with then. NEVER again will I use them.

Larry, I assume you went with the Lowas?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes