One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am a 13 wide.

I am currently using a pair of Scarpa's that I bought through Kuiu. They are not wides.

When Cabelas was selling Meindl you could get them in wides. I was at our local Cabelas earlier this month and they didn't have any, and everyone there didn't know what I was talking about.

What I would call a mountain boot would be something I could edge with and not loose footing. Russell Moccasin doesn't make a boot like that. But neither does Danner or most of the boot companies.

I would pick Scarpa, not sure where someone in Vermont would try a pair.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whites Boots Spokane Wa

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoffman boots in Idaho handles both their own lines, and German Meindls. They can order about anything.

Whites are solid as are Nicks. I have worn Whites at work for 18 years and 3 sets of soles.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Whites Boots Spokane Wa

If you have skinny feet with high arches and are not climbing real mountains.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keens!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Keens on my feet as I type

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had durability issues with Keen. Twice.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care for the last Keen's are built on.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Meindl +1

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at Asolo? Made in Italy. On my second pair and won't look back.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My feet are between a EE and EEE. I have a pair of the Lowe Tibets that I put a lot of miles on backpack hunting for sheep.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Same boat here on the wide bottoms. Russel, Hoffman, and Lathrop & Sons all can dot it and I have boots from each. Just depends on your purpose what direction to head in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
might check out options from 2bigfeet.com

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Whites are good, but what is the budget?

I have wide feet too. I have Whites, logger style boots. They are great for being in the steep hills. Break in time is long though. These boots are heavy 7.5 lbs to be exact (yes, I weighed them.) Nicks boots are a bit better. Whites have gone downhill the last few years. When my Whites die, I will buy Nicks. Plenty of reviews on youtube.

https://nicksboots.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Whites Boots Spokane Wa

If you have skinny feet with high arches and are not climbing real mountains.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid growning up in Wyoming my father was a huge fan of Chippewa and Whites Packers (1980-1990's).

He wore them all the time.

I always had fairly flat feet, but I also wore them. Unless I was on a horse I wanted to die after a day in the mountains.

I never felt like my ankles were supported, nor did I feel like my feet were getting the treatment they needed.

I tried a pair of Whites Packers as work boots a few years ago. They ended up gifting them to the local FD.

There are so many companies that make actual mountain boots like Asolo, Scrapa, La Sportiva, Koflach, Meindl, Hanwag and another 10-15 names. I can't see every wearing a pair of logging boots or packers as a pair of mountain boots.

All the wildland fire fighters I know wear Danners, Haix or some other high dollar wildland fire boots.

All the city/military firemen that I know wear the same thing as station boots.

Whites boots are like using a Leupold fixed 2x on a sheep hunt. Compared with a moder 3-18x56 Ziess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenetrek makes a wide boot, as well as Zamberlan and Crispi. Not all of their boots come in wide, so you have to check each model, or talk to someone knowledgeable (hard to find.) My preference is probably Zamberlan for true 4E widths, but I find the Kenetrek and Crispi boots are perfectly acceptable as a 3-4E width (actual feel, not rating.)
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Elk for over 30 years and have worn the same pair of White calks (rebuilt once) and will never wear anything else. Say what you will but Whites have owned the woods for many years. At least in the Northwest logging fields.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Meindle "Badale"

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a 14 wide and like Kenetrek.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote