Notify
Tools

Topographic Maps Online
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Canada Topos

USA Topos

Please share any other free online sources you might have.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by concho:
www.terraserver.com

Thanks, concho! But, I'm looking more for "topographic" maps than "aerial" photographs.

Aerial photos are helpful..... but if they are low resolution.... they don't tell much about the lay of the land. And that's what I'm looking for! thumb

I know it's going to be hard to find an online source of free "topos" of areas outside of North America.....but I thought I'd give it a try! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the moderator would consider making this topic a "sticky"

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those Topo map programs for my computer. Not free, but very handy and I can print off just what I need. biggest drawback with my program at least, is that the maps are way out of date. I can also get exact geographic co-ordinates to use with my GPS and measure distances.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
topozone.com

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo, I've got the link to topozone.com above! Wink

It's my favorite free online source of US topos.

Yes, Grizz... there are some very good topo programs that you can buy. Very handy and can be used with GPS!

The advantage of the free online sources is that everybody here on AR can access them and know where you're talking about. Where it's not likely that everbody here will have the same topo program covering every state and province in the USA and Canada.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Oops. But hey, I posted it with the best intentions...Smiler

For my screw-up, here's another remarkable, and free resource: google earth. Amazing, really.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Grizz just decided to buy for the computer---I bought DeLorme's TopoUSA West region and for some states it outlines the different hunting districts--this is a nice feature--the online versions aren't bad, but I did get more features, so that's why I bought it---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ask and thou shalt recieve...but you needn't be so formal. Smiler

Here's another cool website for anyone interested in B.C...

BC Government Maps Scroll down the page and click on "Online Cadastre" on the left hand side of the page.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:

Ask and thou shalt recieve...but you needn't be so formal. Smiler

Here's another cool website for anyone interested in B.C...

BC Government Maps Scroll down the page and click on "Online Cadastre" on the left hand side of the page.

Cheers,
Canuck

Canuck, that's an EXTREMELY COOL FRIGGIN' AWESOME BC site! thumb

PS - That photo on the far right...... where was that taken (UTM, DMS)?!!

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Depeding on state, some Fish and Game/DOW sites have interactive map programs. I know CO and MT does because I use them occasionally. They include topo, and property info which is awesome.

About 3-4 years ago I bought a 'block' of down loads from Geocommunity. I think it cost me $15 , and I've downloaded probably 20 or so 7.5 quad maps so far, and can probably get another 40. I do have access to a color plotter so that helps if i want to plot, but any good color copyier you can print out the section you want. On the other hand, I can veiw them as a raster image or jpg, etc on my puter as well as overlaying them in Google earth.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
Depeding on state, some Fish and Game/DOW sites have interactive map programs. I know CO and MT does because I use them occasionally. They include topo, and property info which is awesome.

Good tip, Ivan! thumb

Colorado Maps

Montana Maps

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Hey DaMan, what you doin' outside the Crater anyway? Wink

For Alaska, I use this one:

Alaska Quad Maps

For Utah, I found this one:

Utah 7.5' Quads

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
MM

MM. I needed a break from "pig wrestling"! Wink

BTW..... Good sites on AK and UT! thumb

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Wyoming digital USGS Quadrangle maps (DRGs).
http://wgiac.state.wy.us/html/aboutDRG.asp
http://wgiac.state.wy.us/html/aboutDRGE.asp

Wisconsin digital USGS Quadrangle maps (DRGs)
http://dnr.wi.gov/maps/gis/datadrg.html#data

USGS Digital Raster Graphics website.
http://topomaps.usgs.gov/drg/

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I asked for FREE sites..... but I think trails.com is pretty good for "pay-for" views (US only).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to This site and you will get hooked up with the tools that you need for map making and Topographic maps.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://www.gps.com.ar/

Free topographic and others maps from Argentina.

Posts: 1 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
MM

MM. I needed a break from "pig wrestling"! Wink

BTW..... Good sites on AK and UT! thumb

Do you like being the chief pig?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.offroute.com/mod2/index.asp

Not free but not expensive.

Can make and view on-line. Seamelss with total control over the map. Make a map of the area you want, oriented and set-up the way you like it. Texture/contrast options to give terrain features a 3d effect. Can see what you make before you order.

GVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for Mytopo.com. I do not think you will be dissapointed.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a free site (signup required) for Canadian topographic maps for Magellan eXplorist and Triton series handheld GPS units:

www.magicmaps.ca

I find most mapping software is horribly out-of-date. My area was developed over 10 years ago and is absent from some maps available! Unacceptable. Magellan MapSend TOPO software is maintained by Navtek, or so they say, but Navtek removed their listing for their website, so getting good maps for Magellan units could be difficult.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a site for free Canadian topo maps for Garmin GPS units (confirmed on 60CSx and Legend HCx):

www.ibycus.com

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a method of identifying US National Forest map sections with topo and aerial maps? I've been hunting a specific section for years. I'm interested in seeing that part of the section I do not hunt.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to translate Latitude, Longitude <=> UTM?

Or ddd°mm'ss.s" <=> ddd.ddddd°?

Here is the best Coordinate Converter I've found on line.

Click on the link above...... Then under "Online Tools" click on the red "coordinate (converter)" link.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow Jackfish's link to the USGS digital raster graphics website - click to the free download link at the bottom of the screen to go to the USGS store. You can then download (for free) pdf files which are scanned versions of the USGS topo quads. As far as I can tell it works for the whole CONUS.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
http://terraserver-usa.comadvfind.aspx?panel=Place

Use this to locate what one are looking for and one can toggle between map and aerial

TCLouis, have you checked the dates on those topos that terraserver uses?

And the sat images are very low resolution (Resolution: 1 meters, Meters/Pixel: 0.5 meters on the area I checked). Google Earth/Maps free version is actually better (and that's not saying much).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Oops. But hey, I posted it with the best intentions...Smiler

For my screw-up, here's another remarkable, and free resource: google earth. Amazing, really.

Yeah Google Earth. These days they're posting the dates on the photographs.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Here's a LINK FOR FREE PRINTABLE TOPO MAPS.

You can zoom into any area you want, toggle from a road map format to topo to a hybrid satelite/road map format.

You can then print 8 1/2 X 11 map sections.

Laminate them between 2 pieces of clear contact paper for waterproof, foldable pocket maps.

Here's AN EXAMPLE OF A MAP SECTION OF MY FAVORITE MOANTAIN BIKING, XC SKIING, BEAR HUNTING AREA.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing a lot of navigation using Google Earth. High-res. land satellite photos along with some navigation aids (path/distance/waypoint markers, and more)

Axis controls allow shifting of topography to "oblique" views, along with zoom, rotation, w/ compass directions, lat. long.

You can store these in files and print them out hard copy. I expect they'd work on a phone app.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Got a newer GPS a while back and went searching for maps I could install on it. The site below has been a good source for my Garmin 60 CSX, includes some tutorials on making the maps work on your GPS also.

GPS File Depot

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google earth is amazing in its use for hunt planning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% about Google earth for scouting. I use it all the time here in Wisconsin. Also, make sure to use Bing maps as they have aerial photos from different times of the year for different views of the land.

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Google doesn't support our second and fourth amendment right so I refuse to support anything google.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's another site for topo maps. I friend told me about them after he had them print off some maps for hunting areas in Montana and Wyoming. I bookmarked their page for future use.
http://www.mytopo.com/

Posts: 16 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 22 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try b c wildfire service interactive I think better than google

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mytopo is great but find myself using OnX in the feild.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote