New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle cover?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those not using Eberleestock type pack, how are you protecting your rifle or bow from raing, sticks, snow etc...?

I remember seeing covers, but can't seem to find anything super-light with Google? Help!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murray Leather makes some light weight gun covers. I have made some myself with cotton fabric that I treated with the same thing used for waxed cotton garments.
Browning, Barbour, and Filson sale their reproffing wax.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old Kifaru nylon sleeve works well for me. I couldn't find the sleeve on the Kif web site last time I looked.

I also have a light canvas sleeve that provides a little more protection from dings and, surprise, surprise, is a little heavier.

I cut holes in both so the QD studs protrude and the sling can be attached to the rifle with the cover on.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
If it's a takedown...

I ordered one and for $60 I gotta say it's one heckuva nice case.

Wow, nice size on that picture. Anyway, Skinner Sights makes the case.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Tape the muzzle and a neoprene cover on the scope....keep weight to a minimum.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

I agree. You're using the wrong rifle......or get a less prissy one Wink

2 strips on the muzzle and a couple-three wraps extra on the barrel is all you need.

Butler Creeks if you're worried about losing your OEM scope bras/lens covers.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, in backpacking, weight is everything. I've been known to carry a slim plastic bag, from some forgotten product, to slip over the barrel and scope in the odd event I have to tie it on the pack.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
quote:

I agree. You're using the wrong rifle......or get a less prissy one Wink

2 strips on the muzzle and a couple-three wraps extra on the barrel is all you need.

Butler Creeks if you're worried about losing your OEM scope bras/lens covers.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Butler Creek caps in the mountains. They will freeze shut with moisture and often fail to open in extreme dust. They will also break sliding them in and out of a saddle scabbard. The neoprene cover is super light, cheap, keeps the lenses clean and can be removed in a second.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it light. As suggested, I use the bikini style, or neoprene covers that I zip tie to the scope between the objective and front mount ring so I don't lose it. You just pop up the front and back and it sits on top until you stretch it back over the lenses. Works well, and, like I said, I don't lose it.

If it isn't attached to something in the backcountry, I tend to lose it. I have spent a small fortune on gloves left on the mountain.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Yeah I tend to lose bras on a regular basis- why the suggestion of the BCs. I can't use the BCs on any rifle though due to no bolt clearance - low scope mounts.

Do the neoprenes keep out the dust better than the bras?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Yeah I tend to lose bras on a regular basis- why the suggestion of the BCs. I can't use the BCs on any rifle though due to no bolt clearance - low scope mounts.

Do the neoprenes keep out the dust better than the bras?

They do a decent job in the dust...they aren't a tight seal so far from perfect. Snow is a more regular concern where we hunt and then they work great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orvar:
For those not using Eberleestock type pack, how are you protecting your rifle or bow from raing, sticks, snow etc...?

I remember seeing covers, but can't seem to find anything super-light with Google? Help!

Heres a LW waterproof rifle case. Let me know what its like if you get one.
http://waterproofguncovers.com/

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While hunting, I just make sure I have a light coat of oil on my barrel and receiver and I use a strip of blue painter's tape over the bore. Although I have an Eberlestock pack, when transporting my rifle by horseback or otherwise, I often use an inexpensive, silicone treated Allen synthetic knit Gun Sock. I pay less than $6 for them and they work great.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found, and ordered, this cool rain cover from Fetts, athttp://www.fettsgear.com/products/solo-hunter-rifle-cover

Very cool piece of kit.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^This. I use a bikini instead. I have butler creeks and am non-plussed at how often the objective end pops open, getting a nice cover of rain or snow on the lens. If my rifle was in some sort of a bag when hunting....then I'm not really hunting. Weight is a killer.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was to hunt in todays bad weather, I'd buy one the old Ruger boat paddle stocks and stainless steel and use electricians tape on the muzzle and be done with it.

That said, if the weather gets that bad these days I drink a lot of coffee, eat too much and take naps, peek out the tent flap now and then until it clears up or season closes!! The wisdom of age. old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read this thread and called Skinnersights. Just received my gun case. Very impressed. Light, durable and provides great coverage for my rifle. Was even delivered because I live close!
$60.
Worth the money.

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote