New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kenetrak mountian extremes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went out and brought a pair of mountain extremes.

Worn them about six miles so far.

Only real stiffness I am concerned about is how they fit at the top of the boot around the shin.

Been playing with lace tightness.

Other then that they fit well. Had to go a half size larger then my normal size 11's

Well see how they work on a Montana mule deer hunt next week.

Should have about 20 miles on them by then.

It is a motel vehicle hunt so I am taking another pair of boots along in case I have problems with them.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have both insulated and non insulated. If they fit your feet they are great. Mine are the best boots I’ve had. Only problem I had is they got wet and froze in Alaska, problem with leather boots. But I brought rubber boots and switched to those

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only problem I had is they got wet and froze in Alaska, problem with leather boots

If you don't have a way to dry boots you can have problems with them in cold weather

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a pair of the 400gm this year at our SCI fundraiser. I really like them so far, put quite a few miles on them hiking locally training for my moose hunt. Lacing technique has been key for me. I skip the first hooks and double back to them after the second to lock my heel in well and more loosely lace in the tops. No rubs or blisters so far.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P Dog, I don't have as much time in the field as you but, I have had a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for 7 years now and they didn't get fully broken in until year 2. If memory serves, they have been elk hunting in CO for 6 years and multiple deer hunts in SD, OK and TX for most of those 6 or 7 years. They are going back to SD next week. They are still waterproof and going strong but the soles are showing some wear. Prior to buying the Kenetreks, my boots lasted 2 or 3 years at most. I have found that medium weight merino socks with sock liner works well with the boots. I too went a half size larger. For really cold weather and in snow, I have a pair of Kenetrek Grizzly pack boots. They are just as comfortable and sure footed as the extremes but heavier.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the Mountain Extreme Kennetreks that are on season number 4 and I really like them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the high cut and one low cut ,roll and these boots limit this. I think they are very good. I just got off hunt in NM and UT and they did their part.
P.S. If you take care of uppers they can refurb to just like new for $175.00.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before heading for my Montana hunt I ended up with 19 miles on my boots.

I would say we averaged 5 miles for 8 days in fairly rough terrain. We hunted in a breaks area with a lot of ups and downs. Deep gullies and steep side hills.

By day three I would say they were well broke in and feeling good.

On the coldest days 10 to 15 degrees I hand to put toe warmers in. Above 20 the 400 gram insulation was enough.

If one was planning colder weather one would need more insulation.

The extra height of a 10 inch boot and stiffness of these really help on the steep slopes.

At no time did I feel like I was going top turn an ankle just the opposite. My footing was very secure.

Over all I am pleased and they well be going on more hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put a pair of size 10D up in the Classifieds.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Kenetrak cowboy rubber bottom leather top insulated boots, they have a bit more pointed toe and a ledge for a spur to ride on, they are the berries on a snow day horse back or on foot In the worst of weather. thats when I drink coffee and stare out the kitchen window because these days thats when the temp drops below 45 degrees!! rotflmo but it wasn't always that way..! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote