Find
Notify
Tools

What's your Backpack rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Have had a variety of Kimber MT's, 257 Rob, 260, 7-08, 308, 270 Win, 30-06, 270 WSM, 300 WSM... my favorite, hands down, is the 308 Win and a rifle I'll never be without the rest of my life.

[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I hunt out of a base camp.....so I'm a daypacker

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I hunt out of a base camp.....so I'm a daypacker

I do both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how many that answered this thread truly DO backpack with a rifle after game, or whether a "backpack rifle" is just one more of many niches covered in the endless quest to own as many rifles as there are niches to fill!

"But darling, I don't have a backpack rifle"...

yuck

patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't always use all my Backpack Rifles.. But.. when I do.. I use my Kevin Weaver 7mm Remington Mag..
Stay with the 7mm Remington Mag My Friends...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
I don't always use all my Backpack Rifles.. But.. when I do.. I use my Kevin Weaver 7mm Remington Mag..
Stay with the 7mm Remington Mag My Friends...

I told you so

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

I told you so

Big Grin

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
when hunting water buffalos in th swamps of Corrientes Argentina my marlin guide gun 4570

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Have had a variety of Kimber MT's, 257 Rob, 260, 7-08, 308, 270 Win, 30-06, 270 WSM, 300 WSM... my favorite, hands down, is the 308 Win and a rifle I'll never be without the rest of my life.

[/URL]

Since we are doing pictures of "your rifle, in the snow"…

My M7 AWR in 7mm SAUM. Kodiak Island, 2011.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, you're getting MY rifle all wet! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a cheap plastic stock makes sense. I felt the need to use mine as a brake while doing a sitting glissade once.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
None of my composite stocks are cheap nor plastic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sambarman you were lucky the butt end worked - the only reason I can reply to this is 'cause I used the barrel of my 250 Kurz as a self arrest on a snow chute ! Took two goes and all my strenght to get it to punch through the ice. Being blued steel and walnut it carries the "garks" with pride, adds to the patina.

To me a backpack rifle is a mountain rifle and it will accumulate scars from the adventures it shares with you. Its got to look good in the cabinet with those scars and walnut and blued steel does that best !!

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I didn't do it in any way like Bear Grills, Tentman, and although I'd seen it in an English camping book, never thought I'd need to do it until the situation arose.

I'd crawled up between a big split in the rocks and found every way ahead or off to the side over the rocks was blocked by ice - and the way back too horrible. But off to the right was a big field of snow that reached back past the hard stuff.

I just sat on the snow and dug the rifle in every couple of yards to completely stop my slide. Even doing that I covered 100 yards in a minute or two. Fortunately, I had trousers with the butt proofed for glassing, and that kept me warm and dry.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
My "back-pack rifle is the same one I use for everything else. An 03A3 with a sporting stock, turned bolt and a 4x12 power Bushnell scope. Loaded it weighs right at 10 pounds and has never been too heavy - even at 7500 feet.I really don't like light guns. It is easier to hold a heavier gun on target than one of those 6 pound rifles. The heavier gun also helps with recoil when at the range.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My backpack rifle is a Rifles, Inc. Strata in 300 Win Mag topped with a Leupold 2.5 X 10 in Talley mounts. 2 bighorns, an oryx, mule deer and aoudad have succumbed to its charms and sub MOA accuracy. At 63, I like the lighter weight that I used to laugh at...!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
If I'm just camping and hiking (i.e. not hunting) I'll carry:

Its light and easy to carry with strap-on sling or stuck in a back pack. No scope to get bumped off zero. The ghost ring is on at 50 yds and real quick to get on target. Flip to the lob sight and its accurate&precise at longer ranges.

Same same as mine, including the 2 position rear sight.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
If I'm just camping and hiking (i.e. not hunting) I'll carry:
(Enfield pic)
... Its light and easy to carry with strap-on sling or stuck in a back pack. No scope to get bumped off zero. The ghost ring is on at 50 yds and real quick to get on target. Flip to the lob sight and its accurate&precise at longer ranges.

Until I got the plastic Tikka, for backpacking I'd take a sporterised FN Mauser .30/06 with a PH peep sight. Slimmed down to a sexy shape and with the butt hollowed, it just nudged 7lb and was very easy to carry.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Got this fixed up after right before last deer season. I'm taking it down on the Kenai in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on this being my all around Alaska rifle, except for the really big bears (if I ever get to hunt them). New Haven Model 70 Featherweight 30-06, Talley mounts/rings, Leupold 2.5-8, McMillan Edge stock, stocked and Accurized by Hill Country Rifles, all at 7.3 lbs with sling - no ammo. I bought the rifle back in 2006, but just now got it the way I wanted it.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote