Find
Notify
Tools

What's your Backpack rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Mine is a bone stock Winchester featherwight classic ,270 with a Leupold 2.5x8 vari x III.

Im not a sheep hunter so I dont need to hit the 6lb mark.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Mostly I shoot 210 Nosler partitions.

That's a good one for all sorts of game, I believe, though Elmer would suggest woodchucks Smiler

It sounds a good choice in a light rifle for deer, sheep and goats at long range.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is this Elmer of whom you speak? Wink

I have taken dozens of elk with this bullet.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Who is this Elmer of whom you speak? Wink

I have taken dozens of elk with this bullet.

I've heard the 210gr Nosler actually holds together better than the 275gr Speer - but of course the latter was meant for bear at 275 yards Smiler

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF I am forced to backpack, it's a S&W 329 stoked w/300gr hardcasts and a max load of H110.

Honestly I find the view off a 16 hands quarter horse much nicer and he can backpack ANY gun(s) I want to drag along in the scabbard(s) while I still have the 329 in a Tanker holster.

There was/is a reason Horses were/are domesticated !

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Just got a Hill Country Arms .260 Remington Sheep hunter. My new mountain rifle

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don B:
Just got a Hill Country Arms .260 Remington Sheep hunter. My new mountain rifle

Would like to see some pics of this rifle....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser R8. Will easily fit inside my Barneys backpack. In less than a minute I can have it ready to shoot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Ray Sendoro
For that Enfield, a Choate folding stock for a Rem 870, a file and about five minutes for fitting will reduce the length, and if you cut that barrel back to about 18", the overall length comes to about 30 inches or less folded. At that length it will fit inside a back pack for transport to and from.
With the right sling the rifle can be carried across in front of you as you hike. Cool
I've made a couple of these and they are handy.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a kimber Montana 7mm-08 with a leupold vx-3 2.5x8. Talley light weight rings and aluminum trigger guard just a hair under 6 lbs.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
Mine is a kimber Montana 7mm-08 with a leupold vx-3 2.5x8. Talley light weight rings and aluminum trigger guard just a hair under 6 lbs.

Now you just need to kill something with it.....lol

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a new backpack rifle as we speak. I'm not sure if it really falls into the backpack category, but my intention is to use it as such. Smiler

It's a Rem 700 AWR, from custom shop, chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. I might try lightening the action a little bit, and putting on lightweight rings and a neet scope.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine's a cerakoted 260Rem Montana with Zeiss 2.5-8x in Talley lightweights, comes in about six pounds and handles very nicely.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Kimber M84 in 308 with Talley and Leupold 2.5-8X.

Going up into the Frank in September!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten real fond of a TC Pro Hunter in 300 Win Mag with a Leopold 4-14 50mm scope with the ballistic plex. Super accurate, a great all purpose round, weighs in around 7 lbs total, very comfortable to carry and fits into my eberlistock back pack handily and I can take it apart when done with it and stow it in almost any back pack. Its also my travel gun, I took it to New Zealand last year with an extra 22-250 barrel. Small easy to transport case, hell most people at the airport dont even know its a gun case

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would depend on what I was going after. Most of the time I use a Encore 358 Winchester.

One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Remington 308 LTR with a Mark IV [IMG:left] [/IMG]

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All depends on where and what I am hunting. Could be a Chipmunk 22lr or a 50cal BMG. The Quarry determines the medicine needed. Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blaser K95 break open single shot.

Like "montero" this is my choice as well; not a long range cartridge the 7x57R but with 140 gr. BT's it does fine and is light enough for my limited amount of "mountain" hunting at 7lbs. w/Zeiss 3-9x50, sling and 1 round of ammo.

For just "Out & About"; hiking or on horseback I carry a Marlin Model 1894 & Ruger new(er) model Super Blackhawk, both in 44 Mag.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .429:
With the right sling the rifle can be carried across in front of you as you hike...

Have you seen the 'Safari sling'? The ends are bifurcated to slip over the barrel and butt so the rifle hangs scope up horizontally at side/front. You can glass with two hands etc but shoot with a second's notice. You wouldn't want it on safari, though, as the barrel would spend much time pointed straight at the guy in front.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
sambarman338,
As to the Nosler 210 and the Speer 275 Semi spritzer; I am not sure how the Nosler 210 could hold together better than the Speer 275, not to knock the Nosler.
I only ever recovered one Speer 275. It was fired into a big old bull elk at about 425 yards, it broke both front shoulders, and pulverized the spine in-between in a span of several vertebra, stopping under the skin on the other side and weighed 212 Grains. The local meat cutter who cut him up for me said, "I have been cutting Elk for 20 years and I have never seen one bullet break that much bone." I also shot a large cow elk in the right flank and out her left neck shoulder junction at about 360 yards, tipping her over at impact, and then kept right on going into the oak brush. A bit over 3 foot of elk, and as Elmer described, "a silver dollar hole in and a silver dollar hole out and you can eat up the hole."
Again, The Nosler 210 is a great bullet but "Holding together" better/more than the Speer 275 is not how it does it. It expands quickly, shedding the front half, and then holds the rear core together very well as it penetrates.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to use whatever rifle strikes my fancy at the time. My long time back packrifle is a Remington 700 LH KS Mountain rifle in 300 H&H. It has many trips and critters under it's belt. It wears a 4x Leupold.

This year I will pack my Model 70 in 400 Whelen. Yes, even sheep hunting if I can manage a trip this year. It wears a 3x Leupold.

I've backpack hunted with those two, my model 70 35 Whelen and a Montana 99 375 H&H. I'm less concerned, I guess, with the weight of my rifle than I am the weight of my pack. I've never felt burdened by an 8-9 pound rifle. I'm just happy to be afield with my favorite rifles.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a pre 64 M.70 featherweight in 308 with a 3x weaver scope. Very light and fits like a glove. Just got a Ruger hawkeye in 338 RCM with a lue. 3x9 that I'm pretty fond of. Short barrel and fairly light.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:

same here except mine is .308

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Curious to see what everyone has chosen as their mountain/Backpack rifles. Calibers/Weights/Rifle Scopes/etc

Bansner, 7mm wsm, 7 lbs loaded, Swarovski Z3 3-9 for sheep in Alaska and Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 for international/long range hunting.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Mine is built on a German mauser action, Douglas air gauge barrel in .338 Win. Mag. Cerakoted and a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock. All of it is just plain black. Older 3-9 Leupold compact scope. Not real light, but you can carry it all day and not worry about its weight…….. at least I don't.

It's a tack driver and I can handle anything that comes along on any hunt in the north.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
I have a matching pair of Weatherby Mark V Super Big Gamemaster's, one in .300 Win Mag with a 22" bbl and the other in .257 Wby Mag with a 26" bbl. They both are scoped with Swaro Z3's 4-12x50 in Leupold rings on Leupold bases. I can't recall the weight of the .300 but I recall it was less than 7 lbs loaded with a sling. I took that rifle to Africa a year and a half ago and shot several plains game species with it- I'll never sell those two!

-John

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
mauser 300 winchester magnum 20 inches barrel,marlinguide gun 4570 ,czbrno fox 223 ,depends terrain and what im hunting .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
custom made ADAMY GEBRUDER,SINGLE SHOT,BREAK OPEN,7X65R,,,

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
sambarman338,
As to the Nosler 210 and the Speer 275 Semi spritzer; I am not sure how the Nosler 210 could hold together better than the Speer 275, not to knock the Nosler.
I only ever recovered one Speer 275. It was fired into a big old bull elk at about 425 yards, it broke both front shoulders, and pulverized the spine in-between in a span of several vertebra, stopping under the skin on the other side and weighed 212 Grains. The local meat cutter who cut him up for me said, "I have been cutting Elk for 20 years and I have never seen one bullet break that much bone." I also shot a large cow elk in the right flank and out her left neck shoulder junction at about 360 yards, tipping her over at impact, and then kept right on going into the oak brush. A bit over 3 foot of elk, and as Elmer described, "a silver dollar hole in and a silver dollar hole out and you can eat up the hole."
Again, The Nosler 210 is a great bullet but "Holding together" better/more than the Speer 275 is not how it does it. It expands quickly, shedding the front half, and then holds the rear core together very well as it penetrates.

Sorry I didn't get back earlier but somehow stopped checking this thread last year. I'm glad the Speer is a good bullet. I've still got a few around and must load 'em up.

I'm interested to see Mart's rifle and scope selection, as well - also quite Elmerian. I too favour low-powered scopes and worry about the stability of modern variables with high power multiples.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
My new mountain toy. A 6.5 Creedmor with 3-15x42 Zeiss HD5 and Rapid Z800. Shooting 129-grain SST.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My backpack rifle.....funny

Kimber 84L 3006

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Kimber 84L 3006

I'm wondering what's funny?

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
here ya go.... Rifles INC 280 AI.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
here ya go.... Rifles INC 280 AI.

Nice one Chuck, you got me by over a pound.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:

Kimber 84L 3006

The rifle isn't my chuckle.....I love my 84L.....I'm more of a day packer

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:

Kimber 84L 3006

The rifle isn't my chuckle.....I love my 84L.....I'm more of a day packer

Gotchya. Now I understand.

I wonder how many that answered this thread truly DO backpack with a rifle after game, or whether a "backpack rifle" is just one more of many niches covered in the endless quest to own as many rifles as there are niches to fill! Big Grin

"But darling, I don't have a backpack rifle"...

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Off the shelf .308 or 30-06 Montana hell no!!!

Around here it has to be custom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I bought my Montana 84L '06 I have often wondered why I bother to keep any of the others.

And yes, mine does get carried, both backpacking and day hunting Smiler

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Off the shelf .308 or 30-06 Montana hell no!!!

Around here it has to be custom

Ha, too true.