New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
May not be the right forum. I'm wondering what everyone thinks Is the perfect caliber for Mountaion hunting. With sheep or goats main objective.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
270WSM

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be a lighter weight 300 win mag.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got a 270WSM. It's very powerful and flat-shooting but barrel life might be a problem and there is some question of how long the cartridge will be commonly chambered. I think the 300WSM might be even better for bigger animals, if you need a short action.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I have a 300WSM built by MG Arms on a model 70 action that's absolutely perfect.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
"perfect caliber" = the one that's most accurate for you. Most accurate for you often means the one you'll practice the most with, most comfortable shooting with. There is no substitute for trigger time and practice. Practice the most/most comfortable shooting is OFTEN but not always a non-ultra-belted-magnum-itis round. Sheep and goats died by the thousands with 30-30 and other pedestrian rounds for years. Now a days, with the armor hides on goats and sheep, a 30-30 would bounce off and then they'd come and kill you. ;-)

Sheep and goats, I'd start with 270 or 7mm-08 in a light weight package, Tikka T3 or (put name of favorite non-heavy rifle here, doesn't matter). It's amazing how heavy a rifle gets after a few miles or hours hiking up hill!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Weatherby

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
264 Win Mag 26" barrel 130gr TSX.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1025 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
284Win or 280 Rem, runner up would be 280 AI or 7mm-08 Rem

Mitch C Kendall

Posts: 27 | Location: Kamloops, British Columbia | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I've got a 270WSM. It's very powerful and flat-shooting but barrel life might be a problem and there is some question of how long the cartridge will be commonly chambered. I think the 300WSM might be even better for bigger animals, if you need a short action.

Of all the short mags the 270WSM is by far the most popular. It's not going anywhere soon.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 win

one of us
posted Hide Post
any thing 25 caliber and above with vel of above 2600 fps and a good bullet well just be fine.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Winchester in a light rig, like a 700 Titanium would be my first choice with 140gr premium bullets like a Barnes TTSX or Partition and a Leupold 2.5x8 in Talley rings.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
something that shoots 300 yds across a canyon and weighs about 7 pounds would be fine.
I have a 308, a 7x57 Ackley, and a 25-06 I use for antelope, deer, and [the former 2] on elk any one of them would do fine.
if I had a 270, 280, 260 rem, 6.5-284 or similar I'd use it.

Posts: 4968 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.300 Win Mag has killed 3 sheep, 6 aoudad, 8 elk,and my mountain goat. Just works well for me.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Anything between .277-.308, that pushes a slug with a BC above .4 and an SD above .26, at 2800+ fps

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Almost anything that isn't in .277"! Big Grin

Light but accurate. I'd be fine with anything from .257 Roberts and up. I'd love to do a 6.5-284 or '06 or similar wildcat in an ultralight configuration. But limited funds I'd probably go with a Kimber Montana. Just not in .270, Wink

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to say, it would be hard to beat a 270 Winchester.

Never owned one never will, I would use a 308 or a 300 Win Mag.

Anything I could do with a 270 I can, and have done, with the 308. And if I think I will be shooting at longer ranges, ie over 400 yards, and in high winds, then I go to the 300 Win Mag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The craftsman makes the tool, not the reverse...

Pick a cartridge that speaks to you (not some anonymous internet crowd), build a lightish rifle around that cartridge and go spend many years with it making it your own.

For me that cartridge is the 308 Win, but any reasonable cartridge from the 260 Rem on up will do.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Accurate and light matters. I like my very inexpensive Tikka T-3 Superlite 7mmRem Mag.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything, as long as it is not a 25-06 stir

Seriously, find something you can shoot well. I am a big 300 Win mag fan.

I am intrigued by the 300 WSM recommendations. I have been looking at this caliber for a while

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light is significantly harder to shoot as well so I like a non featherweight rifle for these rare hunts. 8-9 pounds scoped and loaded is about right. If you think about it and you want to pack 1-2 pounds less, thin out the crap everyone myself included puts in their pack, or better yet, lose some weight yourself. This is what I do and it works for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would get either a 257 Weatherby or a 264 WinMag. Even though some might find it a bit heavy for true mountain duty, I love my Extreme Weather Stainless M70 chambered in 264 Winmag. I would also think a 257 Wby Ultralight would be a fantastic choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Grizzly country start with a .30-06 with 180grain bullet minimum and work up to the .300 mags.
Non Grizzly a .270 is all you need.

The mountains can have a drastic impact on bullet flight from wind deflection and elevation change to target. Make sure to pick a quality bullet with a high B.C. and work up a table or shooting chart for distance and angle. Verify your bullet impact on your particular rifle to the chart and go hunt.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
14 pound 375 Ultra magnum.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My present sheep rifle is a 308 Kimber Montana, 47gr or Varget behind a 150 NP. I wouldn't bat an eye taking on a Grizzly with this combo.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
My current is a Rem M7 AWR in 7mm SAUM. I haven heavier scopre on it right now so it's tipping in at 7.5#. On the extra light side is my Merkel K1 in 7mm Rem Mag. That thing is 6.5#.

Either would work fine. I simply prefer the AWR for crappy backpacking type hunts,

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2312 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
My .257 Ackley with 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets has killed 3 Bighorn rams, 1 Dall ram, 1 Mountain Caribou, 1 bull Elk, and about 40 Mule or Whitetail deer and Pronghorn antelope. The sheep, elk, and caribou were all backpack hunts.

I killed my Mountain goat with a .30 Gibbs and a 180 grain Nosler Partition bullet.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys sound like a bunch of school girls arguing over who's dress is prettier.

OP: If you want opinions on what we have successfully used (assuming some have actually sheep and goat hunted with them), that's cool. When you say "best mountain rifle", it brings out a bunch of excellent to poor opinions based on experience or lack there of!

Shoot whatever you want as long as you shoot it well and can carry it comfortably! ....within reason, of course.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason P, As I indicated, I'm with you on the 300 Win Mag but, I'm curious about your comment about the 25-06. It too is one of my favorite calibers and I've probably taken more large game with my 25-06 than any of my other rifles. With the right bullet, and it can easily take deer-sized game from 300 to 400 yards without a problem. But, I still like the 300WM better.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zekes dress is pettier than mine. popcorn

Mitch C Kendall

Posts: 27 | Location: Kamloops, British Columbia | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
.270 Win with 130grs Woodleigh PP :-)

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Whats wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag? nilly

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"""What's wrong with the 7mm Rem Mag?"""

Absolutely nothing!
It's one of the great all-around cartridges IMHO.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
"""What's wrong with a 7mm Rem Mag?"""

Absolutely nothing!
It's one of the great all-around cartridges IMHO.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a 280 Rem -- you'll never look back !! Smiler

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I'm building a lightweight 6.5 mm SAUM. Remington 700 short action, Krieger 8 twist 24 inch barrel (Remington SPS contour), PTG fluted bolt with M16 style extractor and PTG aluminium bolt shroud. Stock is a Bansner Hi Tech Specialties 'Sheep Hunter' style which weighs 22oz.

So far, it's weighs in at just over 5.5 lbs and is perfectly balanced. With a scope and rings, fully loaded & ready to go I'm going to be somewhere between 6 to 7 lbs.

I had been debating on whether to flute the barrel but as the rifle is light enough and it was going to be yet another $300.00 NZD I couldn't see the point. Incidentally the price to do the fluting is the same price for getting the metal work Cerakoted which is the finish I'm going to have.

I'm planning on shooting the 130gr to 140gr bullets between 3000 to 3100 fps which will put it close to .264 win mag performance and will be perfect for any game I hunt down here in New Zealand.

I already have close to 300 brand new Norma 300 SAUM cases which will last me for a long time.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
any thing 25 caliber and above with vel of above 2600 fps and a good bullet well just be fine.

^...this

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
standard answer: M70 FW in 6,5x55 Swede.

stylin' answer: have a 6,5x68 Shuler built. Think 264WM plus at least a hundred feet more velocity and no belt to complicate your reloading life...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Tikka T3. Mine is "ultra light" model with fluted bbl in 300 Winchester Magnum. It's got a Swaro 3x18 ballistic turret scope and Harris 25C bipod. Accurate, light, dependable and reasonably priced. I have brake on mine

Posts: 78 | Location: Alaska  | Registered: 22 April 2015Reply With Quote