New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packs, packs and more packs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over the years, I have had more than my fair share of pack issues. I have purchased packs
from Kuiu, Sitka, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru and two different models
from Barney’s.

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to adjusting the various packs. This may be why I hated certain packs.

One of the most frustrating episodes was with my large Barney’s pack. It was fantastic then instantly it wasn’t. I have never been able to replicate the fit.

After thinking about the situation for a while , I realized that I must be missing something. Sure enough , there was a strap which could be used to adjust that I didn’t realize was an adjustment.

This opened up a whole new world with the packs. For example,I just got a large Kifaru. I put about 40 pounds into it. After one mile, I realized that it was not workable as configured. I moved one of the adjustments about 2 inches . It was night and day different.

Another observation. The only line videos about how to adjust SUCK! They talk about various things assuming we know what they all are talking about . I don’t. Plus the video itself is often awful. They haven’t zoomed in close enough and/or adjusting things one cannot see on the video.

I am trying to decide whether to take the Kifaru or a Barney’s pack on my upcoming trips. They are vastly different. Barney’s is a more simple pack with the best padding by far of any of the packs I purchased. The Kifaru has more superior features by far but inferior padding.

I wish there was a really good video on adjusting each of these packs.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe there are people that customize packs just as they customize rifles. Maybe you could find someone to add padding to the Kifaru thereby making it the superior pack you have been looking for.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I've followed your trials and tribulations with packs for some time now. You are right a pack you like may not be right for me. But there are a few (almost) universal rules when strapping on a pack with lots of adjustments;

Generally light items in the bottom of the bag, heavier items up top. Then cinch it all down so it doesn't move around while walking.

Make sure the pack is actually adjusted for your size meaning the relationship between the hip belt to the shoulder straps. If this isn't right nothing will feel right. Most packs today can be adjusted within a certain range.

When putting the pack on adjust the hip belt first then adjust any straps from the belt to the pack but don't over do it. This is what helps balance the load. Too much pressure on your lumbar and hips is very uncomfortable.

Snug up the shoulder belt but not super tight. Packs are designed to carry most of the weight on your hips, not your shoulders. Then snug up the load lifters. Most packs are designed so the the lifters come off the shoulder straps at the top of your shoulders and the shoulder straps conform to you without a gap. But once again don't sweat a little gap.

After you walk a bit don't be afraid to adjust straps in small increments to play with the fit. I do this throughout the day and anytime I add or subtract a sizable amount of weight in the pack. Eventually you should reach a happy medium if the pack fits at all.

One other point is don't worry about whether the pack looks straight to your body, only worry that its comfortable relatively speaking. You are after all carry a significant amount of weight on your back and no matter the manufacturers claim that the their pack will make you feel like your dancing threw the daisies in comfort don't ever believe it.

When going up or down a long hill adjust the weight using the load lifters, a little further back when climbing and a little closer to your shoulders going down helps keep the weight in balance. If the hip belt feels loose or too tight adjust it along with every other strap. After a while you should get a feel for what to cinch up or loosen to compensate throughout the day.

In closing I think I've collect in the last almost sixty years of fooling with backpacks about two dozen. Okay the Boy Scout packs are long gone but of the remaining herd maybe four are useful to me today. The rest I could easily get rid of. Of these four two are hunting specific meaning they come in pretty camo and two came from a backpacking store. The animals I'm hunting after all don't care what color my pack is. This should also be hint about where you might want to pack shop in future. Hunting specific packs relatively new compared to backpacking stuff so there can be lots more expertise in a backpacker shop then in a typical hunting shop.

Hope this helps a little.

P.S. Oh by the way I have never owned or even seen a pack that has every feature the way I want it. The only custom pack manufacturer I'm aware of is McHale in Seattle but even they don't customize to all my desires. Wink

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mystery Ranch

I spent 3 hours at the Mystery Ranch factory store in Bozeman getting my pack fitted.

Some of the best time spent.

As far a pack modifications a strong needle and strong thread is all that is needed.

I have modified some thing on all my packs.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Larry,

I've followed your trials and tribulations with packs for some time now. You are right a pack you like may not be right for me. But there are a few (almost) universal rules when strapping on a pack with lots of adjustments;

Generally light items in the bottom of the bag, heavier items up top. Then cinch it all down so it doesn't move around while walking.

Make sure the pack is actually adjusted for your size meaning the relationship between the hip belt to the shoulder straps. If this isn't right nothing will feel right. Most packs today can be adjusted within a certain range.

When putting the pack on adjust the hip belt first then adjust any straps from the belt to the pack but don't over do it. This is what helps balance the load. Too much pressure on your lumbar and hips is very uncomfortable.

Snug up the shoulder belt but not super tight. Packs are designed to carry most of the weight on your hips, not your shoulders. Then snug up the load lifters. Most packs are designed so the the lifters come off the shoulder straps at the top of your shoulders and the shoulder straps conform to you without a gap. But once again don't sweat a little gap.

After you walk a bit don't be afraid to adjust straps in small increments to play with the fit. I do this throughout the day and anytime I add or subtract a sizable amount of weight in the pack. Eventually you should reach a happy medium if the pack fits at all.

One other point is don't worry about whether the pack looks straight to your body, only worry that its comfortable relatively speaking. You are after all carry a significant amount of weight on your back and no matter the manufacturers claim that the their pack will make you feel like your dancing threw the daisies in comfort don't ever believe it.

When going up or down a long hill adjust the weight using the load lifters, a little further back when climbing and a little closer to your shoulders going down helps keep the weight in balance. If the hip belt feels loose or too tight adjust it along with every other strap. After a while you should get a feel for what to cinch up or loosen to compensate throughout the day.

In closing I think I've collect in the last almost sixty years of fooling with backpacks about two dozen. Okay the Boy Scout packs are long gone but of the remaining herd maybe four are useful to me today. The rest I could easily get rid of. Of these four two are hunting specific meaning they come in pretty camo and two came from a backpacking store. The animals I'm hunting after all don't care what color my pack is. This should also be hint about where you might want to pack shop in future. Hunting specific packs relatively new compared to backpacking stuff so there can be lots more expertise in a backpacker shop then in a typical hunting shop.

Hope this helps a little.

P.S. Oh by the way I have never owned or even seen a pack that has every feature the way I want it. The only custom pack manufacturer I'm aware of is McHale in Seattle but even they don't customize to all my desires. Wink

One of my many problems is that I do not know how to adjust them to fit me.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz post makes me think in a previous life he was a pack fitter. I think you need to get some professional help. I know for a fact that there is some serious science at play- torso length and hip structure are big variables.When you buy an expensive road bike the fitting process can take a few hours. It employs some very specific measurements and the use of a laser to meter your pedal stroke. My fitting at Mystery Ranch did not use a laser but just about every other metric you can think of. Procedure was similar to sequence Cougarz laid out. How is the training? You have a month? Keep cranking!

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Cougarz post makes me think in a previous life he was a pack fitter. I think you need to get some professional help. I know for a fact that there is some serious science at play- torso length and hip structure are big variables.When you buy an expensive road bike the fitting process can take a few hours. It employs some very specific measurements and the use of a laser to meter your pedal stroke. My fitting at Mystery Ranch did not use a laser but just about every other metric you can think of. Procedure was similar to sequence Cougarz laid out. How is the training? You have a month? Keep cranking!

This has been a weird year of me. Around October 1 last year , I got deathly ill on brown bear hunt in Alaska. Upper respiratory stuff. That laid me up about 2 weeks.

Then deer season was upon us. I missed a lot of training as I was in a tree all day. They didn’t help conditioning in the least.

In early January, I had major surgery. For 2 months I was not allowed to pick up anything that weighed more than 5 pounds . They wanted me to not do anything that caused the core to flex.

Of course, the virus kept the gym closed . Between the surgery and the virus, I had about 4 months of no weight training .

I decided to go anyway. I will be 65 in November. This may be my last.

Is my conditioning where I wound like it to be? No. Regardless, I am in much better shape than most my age. I’ll make it I am sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun, Larry. You have the right attitude, and that is most of the battle.

As for pack fit, I've never used the initial settings after a fitting. Add weight, things need to be adjusted. Add more weight, adjust some more. And so on. Add an elk quarter, and adjust some more. Winter clothes verse early season. I've used several packs, and eventually got them all to fit well enough. A couple fit great, and those I still own.

My focus is getting the waist belt in the right spot, then I adjust the shoulder straps. Some belts ride high, and others ride lower. Depends on design. MR belts ride higher on me, and Stone Glacier seem to feel better an inch or so lower.

One thing I can say for certain is that you cannot fit a pack without at least 40 pounds in it. I've never seen a pack ride the same loaded verse unloaded.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99% mental game Larry. You will get it done. The sticks are HUGE. Best of luck.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

posted Hide Post
Good post, Cougarz.

Torso length adjustment and load lifters are most critical to a good fit.

Posts: 5 | Location: PACIFIC NORTHWEST (usually) | Registered: 19 July 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Cougarz post makes me think in a previous life he was a pack fitter.

LOL, no just survival skills developed after a lifetime of hunting, fishing, climbing and hiking the backcountry.

I should add the reason I get down a little bit on so called hunting packs is most are over built and weigh a ton. Too many associate heavy with strong which isn't necessarily true. Maybe because I worked in the aerospace industry for many years where literally ounces count I know there are better ways.

I don't want to carry a pack that weighs 10 pounds empty even before I put something in it. Unfortunately too many brands are just that heavy. So look for the few that aren't.

As far as being properly fitted it would seem prudent to go straight to the manufacturer if you can. I'm sure they do a great job, after all they know the ins and outs of their product. Once it gets to a hunting supply store the trouble begins. Very few there have the slightest idea what to do which is one of the reasons for looking into a pack from a mountain or backpacking supply shop. You are far more likely to find someone who knows what they are doing when fitting and most of their packs weigh half what the camo version does and it's just as strong.

My lightest pack that is one of my keepers is an old Kelty external frame from around the 1980's. Now a days I use it mostly used to pack out meat which it's done many times but I would trust it to carry anything I'm capable of still carrying. It's also done some serious hauls when we where trying to establish a remote camp to be used during hunting season and lots of backpacking though the years. I would put it up to any pack for toughness currently made today. It's already been there and done that many times over.

I also have a couple internal frames that work as well. They are easier to carry when the climbing is really steep because they carry the weight closer to your back improving your balance. I just like the external better for general hauling because it's more comfortabke for me and you stand more upright under a heavy load compared the Neanderthal crouch the internals can have.

One other thing, when I read the amount of weight some think they need to carry it might be good to also look at what some backpackers choose for gear. A lot of it is far lighter for the same performance.

Im also not one to choose some camo gear just because I'm hunting. The animals for the most part could care less. If you move they will see you regardless. If your up wind they will still smell you camo or not. There are many more choices in just as good if not better materials from the mountain shop. It's generally lighter too. In fact you should be remorseless on eliminating weight. If just about everything you carry can't do at least two things get rid of it. It's just dead weight you have to carry until it does it's one limited job. Most of the stuff people think they need is just useless crap. Always look for a lighter alternative or get out the knife and whittle it down to make it lighter. When you get back home look at everything you brought, if it wasn't used you likely didn't need it in the first place.

Anyway take care Larry, hope everything works out for you and have fun. After all it beats the hell out of sitting home watching hunting videos.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are going Larry, but good luck. tu2 I am 69 and have been having Alaskan withdrawal big time, and missing it like crazy! Had things been normal, I would have been there this entire month, and then another three weeks in the fall. Big Grin Go while you can physically, financially and mentally. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Not sure where you are going Larry, but good luck. tu2 I am 69 and have been having Alaskan withdrawal big time, and missing it like crazy! Had things been normal, I would have been there this entire month, and then another three weeks in the fall. Big Grin Go while you can physically, financially and mentally. tu2

Thank you sir.

At the tender age of 64, this is likely my last backpack sheep hunt. As much as I hate to admit it, father time is catching up to me.