THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Remington / Kuiu Ultimate Sheep Rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington / Kuiu Ultimate Sheep Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I am probably a little late to the party on this rifle, but something about the Remington Ultimate Sheep rifle just struck me as odd.( Remington Ultimate Sheep Rifle )

It starts with a Remington Titanium action and then proceeds to throw out everything on like replacing the extractor, the bolt knob, pinning the bolt, Timney trigger, bolt shroud, firing pin, etc.

Now, keep in mind, this is a Remington built rifle, from their custom shop. It's not a side gunsmith who is buying a Ti action then scrapping it for parts and selling it under his brand (think MG Arms or Rifles, Inc.).

Whats throwing me is two things:
1. Jason from Kuiu basically was asked by Kuiu to design a rifle, which he promptly said everything but the action sucks, lets replace and upgrade everything else.
2. Remington is building this rifle using all these aftermarket parts and upgrades. For things like pinning the bolt, swapping the extractor to a M16 style, and using a Timney, it's almost like they're saying, "yeah, we know our components suck." The trigger for example, I know they have had their issues with the current rendition, but outright using a Tinmey versus a "Remington Custom Trigger" or something in-house just seems odd.

Would be curious to hear others thoughts.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not much of a Remmy rifle fan, much prefer CRF in "old" Mod. 70s, modded sts Classics, my two Dakota 76s and my latest love, a Kimber MA-.280AI.

I do have a full custom 4-hole Seven, built by two of BC's finest smiths with the best components, but, it cost more than my Kimber and is a 7-08. It is sts, shoots well and is nice to carry and I STILL like the tuned KMA more.

So, since I have zero respect for Hairston, after the stunt he pulled with selling China-made stuff labelled as "Made in Canada" and some other issues, I am not likely to buy zip under his label.

Then, given the weight and ludicrous cost of this fancy musket, well, it is just another trendy POS con job for wealthy dudes, IMO.

The KMA, my Dakotas are actually worth the money and WORK as they are designed to do, but, this piece just makes me chuckle.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm not really concerned with what color camo is on it or who spec'd it. More so that the only thing Remington kept was the receiver. What's that say about their generic factory 700's?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure it says anything about their factory parts. Those are price point built so they can sell a rifle at $XXX and make a profit. They already know those aren't top end parts, and probably snicker at them from time to time.

My take on this is other makers are doing a better job marketing and making accurate and light rifles. Tikka, Kimber, Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, etc. And they are well made and decently finished. Most also give you a decent stock. They may be plastic, but they are well thought out (Tikka). Remington gives you a truly shitty plastic stock. I have a pile of them and will build a monument to cheap stocks one day.

This is a good marketing tool for them and is flashy with the Kuiu camo and trendy carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Not too many will sell I am guessing. For less, anyone can get an as good or likely better setup.

This is a groupie rifle for Kuiu fans.

A NULA or MG will set you back quite a few dollars less than this rifle, and they are built by more dedicated craftsmen. People that do some homework will probably go toward semi-custom or custom makers.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My Kimber Montana 84L .280AI tips the scale at 6 lbs 12 oz. with 4 rounds in it and a "non lightweight" VX3 3.5x10 CDS

At a good lick less than 1/4th the price of the new Remington

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Kuiu has die hard fans. He did this a couple of years ago with Weatherby, the rifle was called the Aroyo. It was a $3500 Accumark.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness it's got s muzzle break, wouldn't want any sheep hunters flinching with their 6.5 recoil!

Wait....does a 6.5 even have recoil??!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
My mountain rifle is an Steyr SSG 08, .300WM, S&B PM II 5-25x56. Heavy? Yes, a lot. But super accurate all day long. Trust me, it's a one-hole deal. And the folding stock is near perfection, so an Eberlestock came to the rescue to manage weight and I'm happy now. I know, it's a sniper rifle, but I don't care. Accuracy is my only concern Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Thank goodness it's got s muzzle break, wouldn't want any sheep hunters flinching with their 6.5 recoil!

LOL, well said..... rotflmo

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention they threw their own 260 under the bus. Sheep rifle for sheeple....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Kimber Mountain Ascent with a 22" barrel in any short action weights 4 lb 13 oz. Retails for $2,040. Remington's offer is a joke.

I think the rifle to get is Kimber's 280 AI.

I have Tikka T3 Stainless Synthetic in 308 that I'm lightning up with a new stock and lighter scope.

Another good bet is a new Tikka T3X superlite. same as the stainless synthetic, but fluted barrel. should be 6-7 oz less.

And did I mention scope? Folks spend big for light weight rifles and then put on some big scope like a Nightforce or something you can see satellites with. Get a Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lulumon outfit and rifle for shitiots bragging on douchebook !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

LMAO

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Muzzle braked 6.5

Almost zero muzzle lift......never lose the sight picture and see impact

https://youtu.be/TFvLztolBio

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Why stop at all the ultra lightweight "mountain" gear? Hell just rent a helicopter and get it over with.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a dude trying to make hunting a new extreme elitist sport.

Which it ain't....

And he's done nothing that ain't been done before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think these guys are marketing geniuses. A very stagnant outdoor industry could take some lessons from Kuiu.

As for their gear, I've found it to be very good in various cold, wet, high environments-- I've had equally good experiences with clothing from Sitka and First Light.

Maybe I'm a wimp but the lighter I can make my pack without compromising performance, the happier I am. The one glaring exception for me is ultralight rifles: after a fling with them a few years back, I've gravitated back toward traditional sporter weight rifles for most hunts. Shaving weight on things like clothing allows me to carry a heavier rifle without a net gain in my daily load.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountaineering equipment has been around as long as the mountains have, it just wasn't camo....

one of us
posted Hide Post
No disagreement there but, like mountaineering gear, hunting gear has evolved significantly over time as better materials have become available. Nothing wrong with selling mountaineering technology to hunters and nothing wrong with making good money doing it.

I've never understood the animosity directed toward individual companies or products on boards such as these: if you don't want it, don't buy it. If you have a beef with a company's quality or customer service, that's another story.

Personally, I think that companies such as this one are making hunting attractive to a younger and less-rural demographic: precisely the people we need out there as hunting's ambassadors to the public.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hipster crowd has their place, but they are fooling themselves by thinking they've accomplished something that's never been done.

Googled themselves right to the front of the line.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
My Kimber Montana 84L .280AI tips the scale at 6 lbs 12 oz. with 4 rounds in it and a "non lightweight" VX3 3.5x10 CDS

At a good lick less than 1/4th the price of the new Remington

I have one of these Kimbers and mine is light and shoots 1/2" moa with factory Hornaday ammo.

I like it.

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16Bore:
The hipster crowd has their place, but they are fooling themselves by thinking they've accomplished something that's never been done.

Googled themselves right to the front of the line.

I don't know any hipsters that hunt.

I know a lot of climbers that hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you lean that thing up against a tree, will you be able to find it later?

Or are there no tree in sheep land?

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote