Find
Notify
Tools

Bivy Sack Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Any recommendations for a durable bivy sack with decent thermal qualities?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I ask what you are going to do with it?

Personally, I quit using them inside of a tent. I found a build up of condensation inside of the bag. Nothing like a wet sleeping bag especially when there is no way to dry them.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am going to use it as an emergency bag.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
About ten years ago, I spent one night in a bivy sack. I woke up at about 2 am sopping wet and miserable. I crawled and spent the rest of the morning shivering in my wet sleeping bag next to the fire. The next couple nights I slept without it. As soon as I was able, I boxed up the bivy and sent it back to Cabela's for a refund. That was $175 NOT well spent. I haven't tried one since.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am talking about using it as a substitute for a bag not in addition to a bag.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion and experience says a bivy isn't a good option for an emergency.

A much better option is an 8X10 cheapo blue or green tarp.

A bivy isn't insulated at all, and you can't dry out in it. They are all designed to be used with a sleeping bag for warmth. Some breath much better than others. I have one from Snugpak. It is fine for what it is, but as an emergency survival shelter, it would be a deathtrap.

The tarp can be pitched in such a way as to keep you dry and allow a fire to benefit you. Roll up in it, use it as a poncho, etc. Very versatile, and I think a better option.

That said, I used to carry one, and changed to a 30d silnylon tarp that is lighter and packs smaller. Damn thing makes a great shelter when you need it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe Mike is looking for something like a vapor barrier. Mountaineers sometimes use them inside their sleeping bags on long ascents to stop the down getting wet from perspiration over several days. They maybe a bit sauna-like but do keep you warm even without the sleeping bag.

I carried one for years without needing it but they are half the size of a football and I've since found something more compact, at least, that might serve the same purpose.

SOL (Survive Outdoors Longer) emergency bivvies come (came?) in two versions, one wrapped as a cylinder about three inches long and two inches
in diameter, the other a flatter package maybe twice that volume. They appear to be foil/plastic bags analogous with those in boxes of wine and cost about $25 and $50 some years ago.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
About ten years ago, I spent one night in a bivy sack. I woke up at about 2 am sopping wet and miserable.

My buddy had the same experience with his it hasn't been on a trip again.

One of those ideas that sound good but in reality isn't

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I have one that I will give you if you want it.

On the otherhand, let me pass this along. On my mountain hunts, I carry a “sleeping bag” made out of space blankets for survival purposes. It is small, light and inexpensive. You might look into those. These fold up into something about the size of a pack of cigarettes. My wife says there is a more heavy duty version that is a little larger.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Just to add a little more to what Larry said, if it's to be used purely as an unintended night out or emergency use I have carried two lightweight space blankets and a little parachute cord for years. One a sheet and the other in a bag form. The combination weighs just a few ounces.

I did resort to it once when I had an animal down at dusk too far to make it back to camp. Better to stay there than flounder in the dark in the mountains. This system actually worked ok.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A BIG + on the Jerven bag. http://www.jerven.com/

I've used one for years here in Montana as an emergency warm up bag etc. Spent the night at >40 F with just a down coat on, not great, but a hell of a lot better than nothing.

I've used it a great deal while sitting on a stand at sub-zero temps, very nice, you can get your feet inside and everything is fine. Heavy thunder storms in the summer, drops over everything including pack. I have the insulated Thermo Hunter model and it weights about 3&1/2 pounds.

I've used it as a tarp/shelter in warm weather and usually stick my pad and sleeping bag in it on backpack trips. Kept me dry, even in fairly heavy night long rain and no condensation problems. I've used it several times when I didn't bring enough warm clothes with me as an overcoat, looks a bit "homeless guy in the woods" but worked perfectly.

Also use it as a blind for turkey hunting and as a lay out, with Therma-rest pad for field goose hunts.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them, back packing in New Zealand.

Many of the flash modern ones actually suffer badly from condensation because they are really like miniature tents.

Your best bet for what you want is an ex British army bivy bag. Just a goretext bag. Think of it as a sleeping bag cover you can pull over your head if you need to. I have never experienced condensation in it. I use it in conjunction with a flysheet.
I highly recommend it for exactly what you are asking.

(THe US army must have something similar?)

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Integral Designs bivy sack made of breathable event fabric. I've used it inside my 6-man tipi (with and without a stove) in both warm and cold weather including on a couple of CO elk hunts. I've also used it outside with a light weight sleeping bag. I've never had a problem condensation inside the bag but the outside of the bag does get damp when used inside of a tent in colder conditions. Here is info on the one I have:

https://sectionhiker.com/integ...ent-micro-bivy-sack/

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote