New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thompsons Water Seal on boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does it work well? Any better the the other products?

Posts: 11946 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Works great but you don't need it. All 4 season boots have a Gore-Tex membrane and your summer boots need to breathe. Bad idea to water seal light leather boots.
I own some light, leather hikers with Gore-Tex but they are too hot.

Ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned about what it might do to the leather and/or rubber rand with extended use. My Kenetrek and Obenauf's boot wax works too well to switch. I have boots that are still like new and waterproof after 5 years of treating them 2-3 times a year.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: Do the boots you are proposing to treat with Thompson's have a Goretex, UA Storm, Cabela Dry Plus or other breathable/water resistant liner?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do.

Posts: 11946 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would assume that your boots are Goretex lined and you want to use Thompsons Water Sealer Clear. I looked at the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and it lists Paraffinic Oil, Parafin oil and Med. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent. I believe that the solvent will destroy the Goretex liner. In Hudson Bay I was transferring aviation fuel from 6 gallon containers we loaded in the A/c to the fuel tanks for the return flight. I splashed some on my Goretex lined jacket and it completely ruined it. I don't even use goretex around outboard motors for the same reason. You can check with the maker of your liner but I bet Thompson's would void all the warranties. I have had good luck with Obenauf's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ski: I agree goretex lined boots are "hot". However, I disagree that leather boots don't need to be sealed. After use, the covering of Goretex lined boots or clothing stops beading water and the liner becomes overwhelmed and quits working. If you rejuvenate the surface so water beads again the goretex begins working again. This is all explained on the Goretex website and I have personally experienced it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all have me convinced. No Thompsons Water Seal on my boots.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I have used a lot of goretex lined boots over the years, and still do. I use mink oil. I am one of those rare people that maintains his kit and I have tried a lot of leather products for my outdoor and working boots over the years. In my experience, it's hard to beat saddle soap for cleaning and conditioning and mink oil for treatment and waterproofing.

Safe travels.............Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikwax for hiking/hunting boots that use dry tanned leather. All of the new goretex lined boots use dry tanned leather with a silicon based DWR finish.

Oil based products like mink oil should not be used on these boots. They are for oil tanned leathers typically found on work boots like Whites, or Baileys. The oil deteriorates the membranes over time, and clogs the pores.

The REI website has a great page on caring for your boots. https://www.rei.com/learn/expe...ng-hiking-boots.html

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Nikwax for hiking/hunting boots that use dry tanned leather. All of the new goretex lined boots use dry tanned leather with a silicon based DWR finish.

Oil based products like mink oil should not be used on these boots. They are for oil tanned leathers typically found on work boots like Whites, or Baileys. The oil deteriorates the membranes over time, and clogs the pores.

The REI website has a great page on caring for your boots. https://www.rei.com/learn/expe...ng-hiking-boots.html

Jeremy

Larry:

I always carry a pair of GoreTex socks in case my boots give up the ghost in terms of being waterproof. They are not terribly comfortable, but better than a soggy pair of boots. However, my Meindl's are pretty waterproof as they are.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thompsons Water Seal. Just paraffin dissolved in naptha.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Leather still needs to be maintained. I've used obenaufs for many years. Keeps leather in good shape without softening it too much like animal fat (mink oil) based products do and doesn't mess up any goretex or similar linings.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silicone spray on my Alaskan meindls. I don't trust the gortex, after several incidents.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Larry,

I have used a lot of goretex lined boots over the years, and still do. I use mink oil. I am one of those rare people that maintains his kit and I have tried a lot of leather products for my outdoor and working boots over the years. In my experience, it's hard to beat saddle soap for cleaning and conditioning and mink oil for treatment and waterproofing.

Safe travels.............Larry

Good suggestions. Played a substantial amount of baseball, we always used saddle soap on our gloves .

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thompsons really isn't good on wood, it's intended use. Would never use it on anything of value.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
It works ok on natural fibers. I've used it on various hats to keep the rain/snow off during winter. I have no idea how it would work on boots, I've never heard of it used that way before.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote