THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Dick’s ‘Public Lands’ Concept Sets Sights on Serious Gear Shoppers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick’s ‘Public Lands’ Concept Sets Sights on Serious Gear Shoppers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://gearjunkie.com/dicks-p...lands-concept-stores

Dick’s ‘Public Lands’ Concept Sets Sights on Serious Gear Shoppers

November 30, 2020 | By Adam Ruggiero

Share now: Share on Facebook Post to Twitter Post to Reddit Post to Flipboard

In a conference call with investors, Dick’s Sporting Goods’ outgoing CEO announced two new ‘Public Lands’ concept stores that will focus on ‘elevated’ camp and outdoor gear.

Among committed outdoor enthusiasts, Dick’s Sporting Goods is not often the first choice for premium gear. Rather, the retailer historically attracted more beginner and casual outdoor recreation participants — and to that end, has competed against big-box store retailers, as opposed to specialty retailers like REI, Patagonia, or small independent outfitters.

But last week, outgoing CEO Ed Stack said the company will redouble its efforts in the “camp, hike, bike, kayaking, fishing” categories with a new store concept called “Public Lands.” According to Stack, these Public Lands stores will offer higher-level outdoor gear that is markedly different than what customers see in Dick’s store today.

“Our camping category is we’re really a bit more backyard camping if you will, kind of day camping. This will be much more elevated,” Stack said on a conference call.

“We think that the overlap between the products that we carry in this new concept and the products we carry in Dick’s will be somewhere around 20%, maybe a little bit less. But this will be more elevated equipment, apparel, footwear at elevated price points with elevated brands, elevated service.”

What’s more, Dick’s will transition some of its existing Field & Stream hunting and fishing locations to pilot the initiative. The move follows the brand’s larger pivot out of the firearms-related categories after the 2018 Parkland school shooting.

Dick’s ‘Public Lands’ Concept Stores

Stack said the company will start with two Public Lands stores to launch in fall 2021, between August and October. The stores will replace current Field & Stream locations in Pittsburgh, Pa., and Columbus, Ohio.

Stack acknowledged that the Public Lands stores will focus on the aim to “protect public lands, to protect the environment,” but offered no specifics on how. He did say the company, now led by incoming President and CEO Lauren Hobart, will release more details on the concept stores closer to the opening.

While Stack didn’t say what brands the Public Lands stores will carry, he touched on the elephant in the room, saying the stores will be different than REI and “carve out a different niche.”

Regardless, the announcement follows a growing trend of big-box stores — like Walmart — pushing to add higher-quality and accessible gear to accommodate a growing number of outdoor participants.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Used to be a great store.

Their name is apt.

The Field and Stream store I visited was beautiful, but probably the highest full retail outdoor store I had ever been in.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seein as how the two are one and the same they can both go take a flying,,,,, umm, leap [insert your own 4 letter word here]

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The Public Lands thing is now an over-used virtue signal. Symbolic interactionism at its finest...

I see the CEOs have caught up to use it to try to make some dough...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick’s is now woke, even though they yanked firearms off the shelf. Pretty much going along the lines of BHA. Turning the outdoors into a playground for the elite.

Now “we” are going to show you how practice conservation.

Old farmers and country boys in their Carharts and surplus camo just don’t know what they are doing.

Please.....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this gout stops to think why he the outgoing CEO.

Not to sound old man about it, but Yuppieing up Public Lands will fail.

The big policy push is to replace public land funded by hunting, guns, and ammo sales. Which would naturalize the policy need for hunting and by extension firearms ownership.

Regardless, of whether such policy will be effective.

Think Botswana and photo tourism.

Posts: 10588 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I wonder if this gout stops to think why he the outgoing CEO.

Not to sound old man about it, but Yuppieing up Public Lands will fail.

The big policy push is to replace public land funded by hunting, guns, and ammo sales. Which would naturalize the policy need for hunting and by extension firearms ownership.

Regardless, of whether such policy will be effective.

Think Botswana and photo tourism.

Correct.

I am progressively annoyed by hunting/fishing groups who have no problem being loud on the “public lands” question but silent when it comes to fighting for hunting, fishing and guns. It’s also the danger of being a single issue voter for public lands...you will end up electing people who are either antagonistic or at best indifferent to hunting fishing and guns.

But I guess everyone will feel better...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant neutralizing not naturalizing.

Posts: 10588 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't do business with the anti gun establishment..under any circumstances...It just not American...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Used to be a great store.

Their name is apt.

The Field and Stream store I visited was beautiful, but probably the highest full retail outdoor store I had ever been in.

+1

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dick's can shove it, as far as I am concerned.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lesbians shop Field & Stream because they don't like Dicks.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote