Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking / Shooting Stick
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
My old friend is reaching the end of its time. Im not sure how old I is, since it was old when it was passed on to me. Ive used it on hikes and hunts. I never thought to measure it but its tall enough to rest a rifle in the "crook" on top from a standing position, which I suspect is what it was designed to do.

So I need something new. Are there any good sources for something that isn't "plastic"

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've made a 'shooting stick' using a folding aluminium three-legged stool and an alum. rod with a right-angle bend piece and short rod for handle. The longer rod is adjustably fitted into a slightly bigger rod, which is fixed to one leg using metal loops tightened by turning a screw. I've painted the stick with dull paint and wrapped the handle and various noisy points with fabric-reinforced tape. The velcro strap holding the seat closed is the noisiest part - but I would not use it for close shots.

Though I've carried it a few times and practised the position, I'm afraid it has attracted no deer so far Smiler

Another gadget I've made is a combined alpenstock and ice-axe, cobbled up for tahr hunting. Both parts came from commercial, aluminium products that I got cheap enough to adapt, and they can be restored to original form. When used as a stick, I cover the axe head with a piece of bike inner-tube.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two cedar 3/4" x 1" x 5'6" sticks held together with a wing nut, nylon washer, & screw. Drill multiple holes for different heights. Sand them real good and add a heavy coat of linseed oil. Cheap, light, solid, and very effective.

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Bipod Shooting Sticks for the last 3 or 4 years and they work nicely. http://www.bipodshootingsticks.com

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
I cant find it now; but I remember seeing a pic of Herman Goring hunting with a tall hiking stick topped with a piece of antler. He was resting the rifle in the fork of the antler. I suppose it wasn't as steady as a bipod or tripod but it must have been easier to use as a hiking stick AND just plain coooooool

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Unless you slip and fall and that fork goes through your spleen! Roll Eyes

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

Reductio ad absurdum

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Valleyvet.com

Sorting Pole

(Gallagher) The Gallagher Sorting Pole is made of durable 1/2" orange fiberglass. 54" long sorting stick with golf grip handle. Heavy duty rubber tip helps protect stick end.

These work well. grip the stick. Extend your Thumb or shoot off your hand on top of the stick.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Another one. Longer
http://www.qcsupply.com/farm-l...ng-sorting-pole.html

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDELWEISS:
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

Reductio ad absurdum

Generally when hunting in Australia I don't even feel the need of a stick or seat - but then, coming down some steep hill, I do. Since the hills are all wooded, I look around and find something that will do temporarily.

One factor to be considered, though, is this: is it blunt enough not to impale me if I slip on it.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a bit location dependant, here in our NZ South Island mountains there are two overriding factors.

Firstly shooting, usually one isn't standing because the range is to great, and prone is usually useless to because you need to get above the scrub and tussock. So sitting or rather purching on the side of the hill is how I usually find myself. Sticks for sitting are relatively short, and due to there always being a side slope, they need to be asymmetrical adjustable.

Usually when descending if we can we pick up a ride on a shingle scree. You need quite a long stick in this case, it goes behind you like a third leg, and is held in both hands. It needs to be quite strong. Normal walking poles of the type favoured by backpackers simply fgold in half in this situation. And they are aluminium which is hopelessly noisy for hunting.

Obviously these are two conflicting requirements - and I've never been able to resolve them, despite always carrying a hill stick or "nibby" when mustering (gathering sheep) I don't use one hunting. I'd sure like too,so I'm going to follow this thread with interest.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
I think I want sticks long enough to use standing. I dont want a tripod, Im thinking even a single stick with a rest should work for shooting and as a hiking staff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about a pair of Black Diamond adjustable ski poles. Their adjustment works well and strong enough to hold your weight in a back country ski situation, so plenty strong enough for use in walking climbing type situations. And a simple Velcro wrap, a cable tie, your hand or something more elegant to hold them together for a shot would be just the job. Mostly they are black, a roll of camo tape can sort that out.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
IDK, Im finding it hard to imagine anything but wood, or maybe wood and antler.

Plastic and metal poles seem so, pedestrian??? dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you how many impromptu hiking sticks ive used in the wooded mountains - my grandfather showed me the trick almost 50 years ago. This year for elk I've picked up a trigger stickshrt tripod to use as a rest because of the quick adjustment mechanism. It shoud allow me to shoot over the weeds from kneeling on a steep slope and as s
A handy perch for the rifle quick to get in action. It will be worthless for a hiking stick and ill probably make one in the field again.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of HiDrag
posted Hide Post
How about a carbon fiber photography monopod?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/...CQ&InitialSearch=yes

Surgeon Slut

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Primos Mono Pod shooting/hiking stick.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pimp stick?

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primos "Pole cat" simply awesome!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have carried Trigger Stik Gen II on my last three hunts. I have the 3 legged version and really like them. I use them mostly for getting up and down the hills/mountains and they are very tough.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as to walking/shooting sticks---I make them out of 1 inch material and hand carve at least 5 or 6 important events or dates on each and paint each event in different colors. events are supplied by purchaser, all for 140.00 shipping included.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use a light weight wood pole but was not satisfied. As with age and deteriorating knees walking uphill was still no problem but down hill was painful and slow. I began using a Titanium Leki's walking sticks, it made mountain hunting a dream and relieved a lot of stress off the knees and provided greater balance with less chance of an injury from twisting ankles etc... I carried my rifle in a Kifaru carrier which kept my hands free but still provided fast rifle access.
My only problem is I like to glass a lot and
carried a tripod for that purpose. In trying to lighten the load and preferably use items with multiple purposes. I tried the Stoney Point tall tripod this year and I like it. One leg detaches and becomes a walking stick and the bipod does the same. I extend the length on the bipod side while side hilling to give me greater reach and the double side is twice as strong especially important when carrying heavy loads on solo back pack hunts. At any time I want to glass I place the binocular on the shooting hook of the bipod and have a much stabler viewing platform compared to the super light weight flimsy types. I can also shoot off them and if time and opportunity is available, I can connect it all together as a tripod and becomes a more stable shooting platform. It can be adjusted for different heights for better glassing and shooting. If it had a rotating mount it would be perfect.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PAPI:
I've been looking at the below item for some time..Lots of Accessories to add on.
http://www.crawfordknives.com/...STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

Shooting Rest, etc ..

STAFF OVERVIEW
http://www.crawfordknives.com/...staff%20overview.htm

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I'm in the mts I always use trekking poles It is a simple and very quick process to cross the poles and use the wrist straps to place your gun making a very stable shooting platform anchored on two sides and which is adjustable along with the poles. Works like a charm.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a monopod, one leg works best of me..Most of the time I drop it and shoot off hand. That's just that much more to pack around IMO...99% of the time there is a tree, rock or something to brace on unless your in a flat grass plain and that would be unusual for me. Even in a flat grass plain you can use your PH or best friend for a rest over his shoulder, Pierre van Tonder is the best shooting stick I ever used. Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try looking at a boyds hiking stick they are very nice

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quality sling can be a fantastic aid to field shooting, in kneeling, sitting and prone. This is no cobbled-up "hasty sling," but a true loop sling as used by Service Rifle and Highpower Rifle competitors for over 100 years. I'd avoid the traditional 1907 leather "Military" sling,as a good one weighs 8-10 ounces, is slow to get into unless you practice A LOT, and the leather tends to creak.

In WW2, the US military came out with a green web sling that has a quick-detachable hook at the butt-end, allowing you to quickly take it off to get into the sling. It's noisy, so I replaced mine with a standard 1.25" QD swivel.
Due to the torque you put in the front swivel, I've found that a locking front swivel is best (E.g., Uncle Mike's.) I tried the Quake swivel, but the plastic eventually broke.

The adjustment for length is all done at the front end, and if needed, reference marks can be added with a Sharpie marker if you use different lengths for sitting vs. prone, etc.

At the butt, there is a slide that lets you run the loop quickly. It tightens automatically on the support arm in use -- very quick to get into. The sling weighs only 3-4 ounces, depending on how you handle the existing rear QD hook, etc. The best ones are made of textured cotton webbing, and don't slip on the shoulder or when looped on the support arm.

These are the older ones, but they are still easily found. I've gotten a number of them in good shape for $10 each and given them as presents. NRA Long Range champion Mitch Maxberry uses one routinely out to 1000 yards; no fancy leather cuff sling required.

In Viet Nam, the Army adopted a nylon version (similar to the other nylon "Alice" gear) to resist rot in the jungle. Durable, but not nearly as good to use, either to carry or support the rifle.

Downside: you'll have to practice with it, to become truly comfortable/fast/proficient with it. However, practice is, itself, a good thing! Upside -- it's always on your rifle, and is easily adjusted for different shooting angles, allows effortless tracking of moving targets, etc. A mentor who shoots NRA rifle competition (smallbore, Highpower, Long Range, etc.) can show you how to use it and adjust it correctly. Once you get used to one, your rifle will seem naked without it.

I once watched 2 Finnish policemen at a training facility who were very good shooters, but who had never used a sling before, try them for the first time. They were shooting Sako TRG's in .308, and their first shots were at 600 yards (scoped). They were easily holding sub-minute of angle (less than 6") at 600 yards, prone, with less than 10 minutes' instruction and practice, and were instant believers.

Hope this helps,
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote