Find
Notify
Tools

Bag or quilt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Fellas, as part of an overall re-evaluation of my backpacking gear as my son matures and we tackle more serious hikes in Scouts, I've been looking at some of my standard gear. For instance, I've used the same ol' 3.5-pound sleeping bag and basic Thermarest pad for over a decade. Much has been written recently about the versatility of quilts when combined with a high quality sleeping pad. Some of the quilts I've read about weigh in less than 2 pounds, and a few are close to a pound. That's a significant difference compared to my current kit, particularly if I move away from the Kelty tent to something like The One from Gossamer. By rethinking my sleep system, I could probably knock 4 pounds off my load in a hurry. That's another couple liters of water I could carry in this parched terrain. That means I can get further from the road and widen the field on backpack hunts.

With all that said, I'm soliciting feedback from any of you who have experience with quilts. How do you like them? How do they compare to typical lightweight backpacking sleeping bags? What kind of pad has worked best?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Qqqqqqqqqqqqquuuuuuiiiiilllllttttttt!!!!!!!

Ran a mummy for 17 years of guiding. All different kinds and temp ratings. Finally bit the hook that had a 0 degree quilt on it at 22oz if treated down. Skeptical. Non believer. To good to be true sorts deal. Love it. Love it. Neo air and neo xtherm are my pads I run with it. My sleep system is now less than 3lbs with a pad! Comfy and warmer than any of my 0 degree bags were. I have the EE revelation quilt I believe. If it was below zero I’d probably go with a nice big mummy bag like a -20 or if I was running a base camp set up I prefer my mummy bag. But for backpacking and light weight my quilt is awesome! No regrets!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EE Convert Quilt 20 degree. The thermarest neo pad, or a Klymit Static V insulated. The air pads are super comfy, and plenty durable. The Klymit is a little heavier, but way quieter than the thermarest.

Been using this system for several years in the lower 48 and on my hunt with Jake in AK last fall.

I prefer a tipi or pyramid. Larger footprint for the same weight. Currently have a BD mega light.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Hammock Gear quilt. Any of the good pads with a decent R value will work well. I'm not a fan of the neo personally due to the noise. But they are very light and very popular.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Never have used an actual quilt, but I have used my bag like a quilt for a very long time. Leave it unzipped and tuck my feet in. I use an Exped SynMat and it’s the best damn thing since sliced bread.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Has the definition of quilt changed? If by quilt you mean a flat zipless doona/douve thing, I would say it would need to be much bigger/heavier than a bag to give the same warmth. A bag you can unzip when hot is a good idea, of course.

Posts: 4953 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quilt persay is flat with only a foot box sewn/zippered in. The upper 3/4 has eleastic straps that go under your sleeping pad. So you sleep directly on your pad. I have found my 0 degree quilt to be warmer than any of my zero degree bags, roomier, and they don’t twist up on me when I roll around.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Is that failing in bags because the down gets flattened when we lie on it? I'm surprised air doesn't get in around the quilt edges.

Posts: 4953 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya flattened insulation basicly becomes no insulation. The quilts elastic straps that go around the bag dona great job with no drafts. I was a big skeptic but had to try. The weight savings was ridiculous. It works amazing.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the quilt setup is like my BigAgnes Zirkel. No insulation on the bottom, pad slips in the sleeve. BA Zirkel 2 lbs w/Insulated AirCore pad total is 3 lbs 6ozs. Looks like I'm still old school. Big Grin

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Big Agnes folks wised up to the trend and came up with a nice system. Really the same as the quilt system, only less off putting since you still get a bag.

I do know a couple of guys that didn't realize you need a pad to complete the system. They brought their, I got it on sale, Big Agnes Lost Ranger bags over wondering what the hell was up. Once I explained it, they were good.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Ended up with a 20-degree Revelation quilt from Enlightened Equipment and the Klymit V2 with quilted cover. Carried and slept in that combo for several nights in the CO mountains last month and like it pretty well. At about 46 ounces, I'm a few ounces shy of just my old sleeping bag, more if I skipped the quilted cover, which I like. Still getting used to the silnylon (not real breathable), but overall I'm happy.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My quilt from EE is way breathable. It’s wet on the outside every morning. I use and xtherm for my pad no quilt cover. I don’t sleep naked so didn’t see the point of cover.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
My quilt from EE is way breathable. It’s wet on the outside every morning. I use and xtherm for my pad no quilt cover. I don’t sleep naked so didn’t see the point of cover.

Hmm, I woke up clammy a few times each night. Figured it was the price shaved pounds. Not near as bad as my failed attempt at a bivy sack though! Besides, it's easy to swish that sucker aside once or twice and snuggle back down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Never have used an actual quilt, but I have used my bag like a quilt for a very long time. Leave it unzipped and tuck my feet in. I use an Exped SynMat and it’s the best damn thing since sliced bread.

Me too put I have Exped down mat I wouldn't be tent camping any more with out it.

I been thinking about a new bag to replace my 40yoa LLbean down bag.

Well have to look into the quilts.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not enough ventilation ? in the tent is about the only time I wake up with a wet bag on the outside.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think it would have to do with where you were geographically and what kind of shelter you might have..As a cowboy in my youth I always used quilts but I didn't back pack them and they worked fine in the SW desert..I don't think I would give up my extra large down Eddie Bauer sleeping bag in the far North or even in Idaho in the fall or winter...but Ive no experience with a quilt in the far North..not sure I care to for that matter.

Keep in mind as a back packer, I would think weight and size is your answer..Quilts are big and heavy..a light mummy bag is what Ive seen mostly and that makes since...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Not enough ventilation ? in the tent is about the only time I wake up with a wet bag on the outside.

I’ve never woke up with a wet bag. Only a wet quilt. But I’ve never used a bag of treated down either. So I can’t say what similarities there are.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

Me too put I have Exped down mat I wouldn't be tent camping any more with out it.

I been thinking about a new bag to replace my 40yoa LLbean down bag.

Well have to look into the quilts.

I also have a 40-year-old LL Bean bag. left it in the back of the truck for a few years and the sun wrecked part of the foot end fabric .
Now I need some thing like a fabric bag to sew on to it. I dunno.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I also use LL Bean bags, but the newer ones. 650 fill downtek. I bought one almost 30(!) years ago and about 7 years ago it developed a funky smell, don’t know why. Washing didn’t help. When I called them to buy another bag, I mentioned that I was replacing an older one and I really liked the bags but I just couldn’t figure out where the smell came from. The lady was like “oh, we guarantee them for life. Let me see what kind of credit I can get you on your new bag.” I didn’t ask for anything, but she gave me a discount anyway. Great company and gear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two bags, both Eider goose gathered from nests in the north pole..One is a Eddie Bauer and the other an older LLBean..Both have served me well on many hunts, usually wall tents and pack horses..I mostly use the LL Bean, as the Bauer is just too hot for anything but extreme cold..the quilt is new to me, and probably not for the non back packer..
Duck feathers, goose feathers pack, Eider down will never pack down, it puffs back up. cheap bags claiming down is the culpritt..My eider bags were bought in 1954 and 1958 or 9 and still work 110%..Watchout for that boyscout stuff, its for overnight camp outs in warm climes.. tu2

Eider bags will be normal when you get into them at night about like a quilt, by morning it will look like a baloon puffed up to as much as 8 to 12 inches, depending on make and model..I don't know of anyplace else that you get what you pay for than sleeping bags, and a bad sleep can ruin a high dollar hunt in a hurry, you will end up piling horse blankets under and on your cheap bedroll.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote