THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Best light weight mountain rifle sling

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best light weight mountain rifle sling
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I’m interested to hear who is making the best light weight sling suitable for a mountain hunting rifle. I normally wrap up in a hasty sling and I don’t think I’ve ever used a loop sling the “correct way” on game.

I’ve been using a cheap Uncle Mike’s sling for 20+ years, moving it to whatever rifle I’m using that day. It has worked fine but it is looking a bit tattered.

Heck, while we’re at it maybe you guys can fill me in on the best sling swivels too.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montana Gun Sling. They're made in Glasgow MT. A little heavier than a simple nylon web sling, but I like the stiffness of leather better when shooting slinged up. Not expensive and will last a lifetime or two.

Otherwise, for ultralight, a simple 1.25" nylon web sling, no pad, no frills, just a sling.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Jason, I like the Montana too. It's what I use on my designated backpacking rifle, a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Used the veto vellini this year on my mule deer hunt. I like the Montana sling too and have a couple of those as well.

Posts: 21 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying a couple of the "Mountain Slings" made by Butler creek. They are outstanding as a carry strap for the guy who is willing to wrap up in a hasty sling instead of using is the correct(old fashioned) way as a shooting aid.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I only recomend three

For leather...
Murray Leather
Montana Rifle Sling

For the best nylon...
Butler Creek Mountain Sling
It is lightweight and has a very thin piece of rubber sewn in just the right place.

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been using a cheap Uncle Mike’s sling for 20+ years, moving it to whatever rifle I’m using that day. It has worked fine but it is looking a bit tattered

Buy another one.

I own a dozen like them can't stand moving a sling from one rifle to another all the time.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 ft of barbed wire for me! old nobody wants t borrow your rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
4 ft of barbed wire for me!

It shouldn't slip off your shoulder.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Butler Creek Mountain Sling

If you're looking for a project, buy some 1" webbing to make your own. I've made some out of various weights of webbing using plastic-dip drizzled on for shoulder grip. Sewing the swivels on saves a few grams too.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Biothane Rhodesian sling from Andy's Leather. Adjust to your length then cut off the excess. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I like the Slogan rubber slings

http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's what I use on my designated backpacking rifle, a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM.

The greatest rifle ever made, I have safes full of guns and this is the only gun I use (other than my 8400 22-250 for my buggy gun). Humorous thread, Jason, I have the same sling and have been swapping it between my 2 rifles for about the same amount of time. She's about worn out, the elastic cartridge sleeves lost their elasticity about half life, but other than that, it still does the job...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using and like the Viking Tactics VTAC slings. They're light, secure, and functional when using them as a shooting sling.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a soft 7/8s leather sling, it doesn't slip, it clings to the shoulder. I carry it rolled up in my coat pocket if I need my hands free for pulling, carrying anothers gun with mine, or whatever. I only use barb wire to impress the native Texans! rotflmo

I like the plain old fashion swivels with the through pin and button..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aways used leather until about 4rs ago, I saw and bought a Slogan Outdoors sling at DSC show. I highly recommend them, they don't slip and you can carry your gun like a pack on your back with them. As far as swivels don't skimp.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly second mbogo's recommendation of the Slogan outdoors sling. As noted, it is non-slip (and very comfortable) and the ability to readily convert to a two-shoulder "backpack" style carry is very helpful in steep country where one needs both hands available for climbing. After years of trying every new sling system that came on the market, I converted all my rifles to Slogan slings once I tried one out.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I use Allen's Neoprene Cascade rifle slings on all of my lightweight mountain rifles, extreme weather rifles, etc. tu2 Alpine Innovations also has a great adjustable mountain rifle sling as well, and I have one of those that I can put on a rifle if I decide to change out the sling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met on old kiwi deer culler once, these guys used to just backpack around in the mountains shooting deer for a living for months on end.
He was using an old Lee Enfield. The sling was a thin piece of old frayed rope. I mentioned it to him with a bit of a chuckle and thought no more of it. But I obviously had struck a nerve. He didn't talk much as a rule. But after three hours of silence he suddenly spoke and said the bit of rope worked just fine.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Latigo style sling in the most lightweight material that they're made in.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rarely use a sling, seems like every time I used one I saw a trophy bull or whatever that slipped away from me or a client..so I just carry my rifle in my hands in whatever position is fast to get a shot off..I carry small 7/8" soft leather sling rolled pup in a pocket..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got a webbing Beretta sling that is pretty light and clings to my shoulder reasonably well. I bought it originally for a double rifle because it looks old-timey with its leather end pieces. The PH didn't approve, though, so now it serves on my plastic Tikka 270WSM.

Despite the truth of Ray's point, sometimes when climbing steep mountains I need to sling a rifle somewhere. Even then the slopes can cause the rifle to swing around on my shoulder so I use rubber bands to give extra friction against my shirt.

With heavier rifles in flatter country I use a so-called 'Safari sling', which bifurcates over the butt and fore end to suspend the rifle horizontally at waist or hip level. It has no real application to African safaris because the rifle would be pointed at someone's back but is great for hunting on your own. The broad webbing carries weight well and the rifle is usable in a moment, even when both hands are holding binoculars or facilitating some other function

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote