THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Pack for carting out a whole (small) animal?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pack for carting out a whole (small) animal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted
I hunt on mountains where I need to cart out a whole animal, albeit a small one.
Ideally I would like to modify one of those old external frame backpacks. See https://za.pinterest.com/pin/171488698286704184/
Size of animal is springbuck/ mountain reedbuck (coues deer size at most) in region of 60 lbs field-dressed.
Does someone have a suggestion on how to modify this backpack? Eg, add a shelf for the animal to "sit" on, with its back to my back and strapped against the frame?
Nothing else much needs to be carried in the backpack besides the odd knife or jacket.
Advice will be appreciated.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not exactly answering the question you asked but I employ a slightly different system. I have a lightweight Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 pack I carry when hunting and when I have an animal to pack I break it down to the bits I want, put into a plastic bag after cooling and put that into the pack. The plastic bag separates meat, blood etc. from other pack contents but if further separation is necessary I can strap stuff to the pack exterior. The pack has ample straps and any load can be secured and compressed so it doesn't move around when carried. Works for me anyway.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not sure they still make them or not but Cabelas external frame pack has a fold out shelf, is light, durable, not expensive or over built (meaning heavy) compared to the name brands and has served me well for a number of years now. Another option is to just get a 3000 cubic inch or more internal and do it that way. No need to pay a ton of money for a decent pack.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. I will try and find one of those old external H-frames second hand and modify it.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mystery Ranch makes a good cargo hauler and its made in the USA. I have one and its packed out a couple elk real nice

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Dixon Roller pack?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I had to google Dixon Roller Packs and, while an interesting concept, my country is too mountainous for it.
I have subsequently bought a second-hand external frame backpack, the 1980's type that now looks horribly uncomfortable and impractical for a long hike.
However, with some playing around it may just work as intended for my purposes.

posted Hide Post
I have had real good luck using a Hill People Gear (HPG) Ute with a Conner pocket. I have hauled out a mess of Coues and Mule deer and just recently 2 BIG black bear. This pack carries big ugly loads better than anything else I've tried. It will haul a load heavier than a single person can don. Or possibly take a look at the HPG Decker pack and a pocket of your choice. That's my 2 cents.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I have subsequently bought a second-hand external frame backpack, the 1980's type that now looks horribly uncomfortable and impractical for a long hike.
However, with some playing around it may just work as intended for my purposes.

Give it a try before doing anything, you might be surprised. If the hip and shoulder belts are worn replacements can be found on the web.

I have an ancient Kelty pack that still will haul a lode just as well as anything new and has for many years. I do have newer packs but reserve this on for meat hauling only now.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional tips and I have looked them up on the internet.
Realistically, there is little chance of me getting one of these here in South Africa. The backpack that I bought cost me $30 unmodified.
Still, it is good to see what else is out there and dream a little.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Update: I must try and make my own version of this.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...023881433?pid=716465

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
Update: I must try and make my own version of this.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...023881433?pid=716465

If you can find a bag to turn it into a pack for backpacking that would be the best of both worlds.

If all else fails an internal frame pack big enough for your needs would work too. Especially since you live in South Africa it's likely easier to find. You don't really need that much to haul the size game you're after.

Good luck with whatever you use. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karoo, Looks like that pack would work well for what you want to do. The Kelty Cache Hauler Frame would also work well.
I personally like the load hauler portion up just above the waist belt right about the height where the bottom of the wings are on that pack. It will haul much better like that and not try and pull you over backwards as much as when it is lower. In open country without a bunch of tight brush, external frame packs are the best for hauling big loads. I have packed a bunch of animals out of the woods on frame packs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a kid growing up on a high mountain rimmrock desert, I packed dads hunters mule deer up to about 150 lbs gutted on my back under my hat legs down in front to hold them...Everybody did, and its still an option if a horse isn't available..I recall Dr. Engleking of San Angelo, tx shooting a forkhorn of perhaps 115 lbs asking how we were going to pack that deer out, I said on our back, he said he was too old but bet me $20. I couldn't pack it to the PU without stoppiing stopping about 3 or 4 miles, greeed took over and I jumped on that and it was tough up and down, nearly killed me but I got my $20.

He told my dad he would have paid me any amount to not have to help pack that deer and said the kid ain't all that brght Ray (sr. my dad)..Dad laughed and complied..I knew Id been had!

Just a story on the subject I thought might get a laugh out of some.. rotflmo

A pack frame is always best IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote