New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hilleberg Tents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have experience with this brand? Worth the cost?

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality is very high. Better than anything else I have looked at, although the margin can be slight with some competitors.

If they have a model to suit your needs, they are worth the money.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love my Kaitum, has a double vestibule and is very roomy. Excellent quality and worth the money.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Probably the best tent maker out there right now and with great customer service, I got the Nallo 2 and its a great tent, did have some issues in 60- 70 mph winds with some tears caused by a broke tent pole but their customer service down in Seattle fixed it right up and sent me extra tent poles. ...still using the tent today.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent tents designed for four season camping. Mother nature has no mercy, prepare for the worst, spend the money and get piece of mind. Resale value is excellent. Nothing wrong in getting a used one.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We also have the Nallo 2. Not inexpensive, but a great tent.

It goes up and comes down fast. Just the two poles and the two tie downs at each end will keep the tent tight and on the ground.

We have never had to use the side tie downs, even in a blizzard.

Also very lightweight and compact. Highly recommended.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Just bought an acto model. It`s a one Person tent (a Little bit smaller and cheaper then the nallo). Will take it to Caucasus in August. I hope it`s worth the money... It`s light and looks good to me. Ask me again after mid August...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Nallo 2

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple Hilleberg tents and they are top quality but on some of there smaller tents ventilation can be a real problem and the condensation build up inside can be brutal. I'll stick with my MSR for solo sleeping.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which MSR exactly?

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Carbon Reflex.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntingineurope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dentist:
Just bought an acto model. It`s a one Person tent (a Little bit smaller and cheaper then the nallo). Will take it to Caucasus in August. I hope it`s worth the money... It`s light and looks good to me. Ask me again after mid August...

Are you back from the Caucasus, and what were your experiences with the Acto model.

SCI Life Member
www.allanvester.dk

Posts: 111 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Yes, came back 10 days ago. Shot 2 Turs. The Acto has enough space for one hunter and the personal backpack. It`s just 1,6 or so kg. You can also pack your boots, duffle bag and a rifle in the outer tent. So all your personal things are under a roof. BUT it was a Little bit condensate water inside the tent in the morning. After I found the Transpiration window everything was perfect. It was very easy to build up because there is only one pole. So it`s good but on the other hand for a few days you can maybe also buy a cheap 50$ tent and leave it there. I just wanted some Quality stuff that I can use for many years. I wouldn`t hesitate to buy it again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used hilleberg tents in glacial conditions, rain forests on the Olympic coast, above the alpine line, snowfields using dead man stakes...superb pieces of equipment. I've got a Big Agnes I use in dryer places and summer camping, but for anything from September through April, the hilleberg would be my first choice

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hilleberg ENAN the three season version of the akto the one man tent. Used it for three days on a rainy sheep hunt. More condensation than I've ever seen in a tent. It dripped under the rain fly and inside the tent body. No wind and wet coupled with a poor venting set up just filled that little thing with condensation. Will try this tent one more time on the next sheep hunt, if it happens again I'm
Going back to my Sierra designs light year 1 for $180 that is used for ten years with zero issues.
I hear hillebergs larger tents do a better job with the venting.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last 2 weeks, I spent more time in one of these tents that I ever cared to. I am not familiar with the model names. Mine was a one man tent that was tan on the outside and yellow on the inside.

Mine never leaked in spite of more rain that I cared to deal with. It also handled the winds well.

I had a little condensation at first. However, I learned that I did not have one of the vents open when I thought I did. Once that change was made, I had zero problem with condensation. None zero.

They worked well. Very well.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Jannu, freestanding 2 man tent. I purchased it with the plan of sleeping 2 very now and then but otherwise getting all of my gear out of nasty weather. It was great to set up and not have the inside wet. Venting was adequate for one, almost enough for 2 people sleeping. Just a little damp sometimes.

They make their tents in different weights of fabric. I figure a light enough tent and me losing 3 kilos is about right.

Try to buy the lighest colors offered.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just used my anjan gt for a week. Poured rain the first night, it has much better ventilation than my enan. Very comfy one man tent with enormous vestibule space. It's 5lb compared to my 3lb enan...but....it's much drier tent condensation wise.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Keron 3, great tent, good space for 2 and all the gear we need for 7-10 day trip. A bit on the heavy side, but very well made.
Ventilation is no problem.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those are good looking tents. As I have gotten older, I have found I want to be able to stand up, but this luxury works against keeping weight down and the wind from causing trouble.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used my enan on another September backpacking hunt. Slept with the doors wide open and closed, wind, no rain, rain, no wind. But still the condensation is pretty incredible. I emailed hilleberg about it and they said they carry towels and a trash bag to cover their sleeping bags with. Towel for wiping down the inside of the tent....???? What???? Yes you read read that right!!!

Gonna try altering this tent. Can't in good conscience sell it and hilly won't take it back.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But still the condensation is pretty incredible.

Condensation can be deadly in the wrong weather I do not like waking up to a wet sleeping bag.

Sounds like a brand to stay away from.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
If you expect snow or winds above 30mph, they're the go to. They are generally heavy but for a reason, I also use MSR or MEC stuff in the earlier season.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two man and one man hilly are both under 5lbs. One man is just under 3lbs. Comfy tents, easy set up, but dang....
My old mt hardware and seirra designs were basicly flawless for a decade. But the lack of vestibule kinda sucks.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
My two man and one man hilly are both under 5lbs. One man is just under 3lbs. Comfy tents, easy set up, but dang....
My old mt hardware and seirra designs were basicly flawless for a decade. But the lack of vestibule kinda sucks.

The one man MSRs I use for backpack goat hunting are 1 lb 7oz, a welcome weight savings on a long mountain pack hunt. They are brisk though... exact opposite of the small Hillebergs, too much ventilation. This said naturally they do not cut it later season, especially with the snow loads and winds on the BC north coast. For early season they've been great except the tape under the seams is breaking up, hasn't caused leaks though.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that msr a single
Or double wall tent? I tried a ultra light msr once on Kodiak that was single wall. Shoulda slept
On the ground outside. Lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double wall, lot of mesh however so pretty fresh, the fly does a student job of holding the heat bubble as long as the wind isn't up. Nothing like cold, stiff overworked legs to say "adventure". Smiler