THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Lowa Cold Weather Mountain Boot Selection and Sizing

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowa Cold Weather Mountain Boot Selection and Sizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Short Summary.

I have a variety of boots but nothing for colder weather and high country work in Montana so I am looking at the Lowa Camino and Tibet boots. I am thinking to go up a half size for heavy Smartwool hunting socks as these are uninsulated boots.

The Longer Version.

Don't you miss those days when just one or two pairs of boots would cover everything you did hunting wise? I had a pair of Hermann Survivors that did it all. If it was a bit too loose ok I just add a sock. If not just stuff your foot in and go. South Texas at 90F or Colorado at 30F was the same. A pair of rubber boots for rain and duck hunting and I was set. But times over 40 years, and my feet , have changed.

I'm off to Montana in December and I know it can be 10F to 60F. I looked at my gear and its all good, except for boots. I have Russell leather boots but they don't have enough room for a heavy sock really. The PHs that did so good in Africa - nope. Snake boots - nope. My Lowa Renegades are a good comfy boot in size 11.5, but I don't think I can stuff that heavy Smartwool sock in it with a foot too. Its a even lower boot too more for hiking. I do have pak boots too but they are not so great for walking.

In an ideal case , I'd like to buy some boots and break them in, use them in Montana for a week, and have them ready to go if I can get an ibex hunt going later.

I like the Lowas models in the Tibets and Caminos, and they look to be good boots and are well regarded. But they are not insulated either, so the sock has to do the work there. No one down here in Texas has them to try on, so it is an order and try and return thing. It could take weeks to get right . . so you go out to the AR Source for help.

I have a multiple time repaired foot and ankle, and as much hardware is in there, I don't have to worry about stiffness much. But in another way I do, as the only movement I have on that side is the foot flex as my ankle is fused solid. So something like the Tibets could be too stiff for me. So the Caminos look like the best answer possibly as maybe they offer somewhat more flex.

I could never get a pair of Russells built in time. Mine fit and work great, but they also required two trips to Russell each to get them that way.

I know a lot of y'all wear the Danner or Kennetrek. The great thing is those are probably available with some insulation, but I think they are too much boot for my bad foot. Plus of course no one in Houston has them to try on either. A city with millions of sportsman with money in the area and we get $100 boots on the rack. Sigh.

So it brings me back to the Lowas. I was thinking I would order a half size up making them a 12 for the heavier Smartwool hunting sock and one Smartwool liner sock. And hope that I can use it with a medium weight sock for the ibex too. I don't need any more boots in the rack at this age.

What did you guys do? I realize everybody feet are different, and mine sure are now, but thanks for your inputs.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the Caminos but the Tibets aren't insulated just as you said. Heavy socks will add some warmth to them but never as much as insulation can. If you add socks don't make the mistake of socks that are too thick so your toes can't move. This will have the opposite effect making your feet colder. Your toes need room to move freely for good circulation.

You might look into Lowa Hunter Extremes. They are built pretty much like the Tibets just higher but have some insulation. I've had a pair for years and I like them a lot in the mountains where I live.

One other thing that will add quite a bit of warmth is a good pair of gaiters. They keep the warm air in your boot instead of letting it leak out the top. Outdoor Research Crocodiles are great.

Lowa does make some models that are made for colder snow conditions but I don't know how cold you plan on hunting in.

Hope this helps.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a good idea on the gaiters. I know my old ones have to be toast. Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Hermann Survivors - haven't heard that in a long time :-)

I'm looking at the Lowas as well.. Have worn Meindls for years and had good luck with them but the fit has never been perfect so the quest goes on.....

I feel your pain - almost impossible to find a place where you can try on high-end boots - for that matter even handle them!

I never thought about gaiters for helping keep in the warmth - brilliant thought. I am going to try that for sure!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, the Lowas were the most comfortable thing out there.

When I was going on safari last time I had ordered the Russell PHs at DSC. They arrived and I had to immediately send them back as they didn't fit wel. I went down to REI and I tried them all on . The Lowas were so good I got them. As it was Russell got my PH boots right and I used those and just held the Lowas in reserve in case I needed them. For as much as the Russells were I could have gotten several pairs of the Lowas. But when the Russells are right they are great. Plus I prefer a leather boot versus the synthetics so many are made from today.

REI does have the Caminos in a 12 at the store and I am taking my Smartwool socks in to try them on.

I am hoping one heavy sock and a liner is enough warmth.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Sheep Hunters and Tibets. I LOVE The Sheep Hunters but the Tibets not so much. They are to Heavy for uninsulated Boots. Don't get me wrong they are WELL MADE. I personally thought the Sheep Hunters would be Cold with only 400 grams of insulation BUT they are probably the Warmest Boots I have.

REI DONATES to PETA!!!

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
One thing that you have already figured out is the brand matters less than the fit.

Too often people say this or that brand is "best". But every brand is built on a different last that you're foot either fits or not. So the better method is buy fit first, than features second.

If you look several brands will all make pretty much the same type boot, so than the choice becomes what your foot decides is best. Not what your buddy or someone on an internet forum told you.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh oh Slider. You KNOW you are going to make me want to do the insulated Sheephunters now. The ones I have now are not insulated . I can't do it before DSC though when they are around. I do like Russells boots it is just that it takes a couple of times through the mill for them to get them right for me. The biggest problem is that with the surgically repaired foot ankle fit on file which is wrong now they always seem to call it up. They do stay after it until they get it right . .

Cougarz that is all good info and 100% right.

Thanks guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally settled on and got the Lowa Caminos.

REI had them in the store so that was a good thing. With its lacing system I can adjust both around my feet, and different socks for some spread of temperatures. And the Lowas are comfy which counts on my legs and feet.

I'll try to remember to come back and update the thread at some time after I use them some.

Thanks for all the help guys.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good luck and have fun! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. ^^ To top it all off I got some kind of bursa bulge on the outside of my foot. So the podiatrist office is on my Monday to do list. Damn. But the boots feel great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 grams should be plenty for a 10-60 degree temp range. I start thinking about insulation below zero unless I plan on sitting all day long or putting my feet in snow all day. Then it’s 800gram lacrosse rubber boots.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jake. Yeah I got the uninsualted ones. And Im just going with heavy socks and if necessary I'm taking along my pac boots too. I just cant know at this point which will be required in December.

I have those heavy Lacrosse too so thanks for that. But my problem is with the fused up foot and ankle I can negotiate duck and goose hunting with those, but probably not rocky hills. But I am going to put them in the mix too. Darn crappy beat up feet causes all kinds of problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am on this same journey. I have used Old Scarpa Manta 4 season boot for the last 15 years and they are on their last legs - been resoled twice, but the tops are now going. They were the one made from just one peace of leather. I have used in all conditions from hot desert to deep winter in the Scottish Highlands, or standing on a seat shooting driven boar in Germany in December.

Given that the modern Mantas are now Fabric / leather combination I am looking elsewhere.

Key requirements are:

1) Stiff sole - for mountain use this is essential as it supports your foot going up, sideways and down. The boot acts as a step. A flexible sole of a 3 season normal hiking or hunting boot doesn't give this support. Going up you can kick steps, traverse you kick a ledge, and coming down you kick heals.

2) A soft compound on the sole. Whilst this will wear quicker, it will grip much better on wet slippery rock / mud and grass. Essential in Scottish climate. Snow and Ice not so much an issue - its called a crampon.

3) Uppers need to be one piece of leather. I am not a fan of Goretex liners - they just make your feet sweat. But having just one piece of leather means many fewer joins, thus much less chance for water ingress.

Well fitting Gaiters are essential as well. The best are the ones that glue onto the rand of the boot, but that is a bit exteme for all round boots. A well fitting gaiter keeps all the damp, snow, mud and water from getting in.

Dry socks in your pack are a good idea - sealskins I believe are very good. If you are going to be sitting for a while on a stand, then take a sleeping bag, or German style Ansitzsac to keep you warm and toasty.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wore the Caminos on my AK mountain goat and dall sheep hunts and there performed great. You have a good boot!

Posts: 10 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: 31 January 2020Reply With Quote