Find
Notify
Tools

480 Cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted
I recently bought myself a new Christmas toy. A new Ruger SRH 480 Ruger. I need to buy some hard cast bullets for reloading. Anybody recommend where to buy a good bullet for general all around use? Somewhere around 400 gr. bullet. I am set up for casting bullets but not for sizing. My casting is for black powder rifles only using a pan lub.

Thanks
George

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Wife bought me a 480 SRH. I bought the mold, sizer die, and TP (all RCBS)from Midsouth. I didn't find much around here for cast bullets in 400 grain. Premade cast bullets of slightly over 300+ seemed very expensive.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a lee mold push through sizer and some alox lube.

and go to town.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
I would but I did not find a sizing die in the size I need. It appears that they don't make one. Can custom order but 6 wks lead time. In the mean time I still needs some bullets.

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Man:
I would but I did not find a sizing die in the size I need. It appears that they don't make one. Can custom order but 6 wks lead time. In the mean time I still needs some bullets.

Cast performance

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Cast Performance casts. Good quality, shoot well.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
would but I did not find a sizing die in the size I need. It appears that they don't make one. Can custom order but 6 wks lead time. In the mean time I still needs some bullets

I would buy the nest size smaller polish it out to the proper size I have done it with a couple of there push through sizers

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cast Performance, Hunter Supply (on Midway's site). Bryan Reece 765-541-8584, Montana Bullet Works, look them up on the web.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any recent experience with Montana Bullet Works?

With their 480 or 45 Colt bullets. They have several that I might be wanting to try .

Thanks
George

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Man:
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any recent experience with Montana Bullet Works?

With their 480 or 45 Colt bullets. They have several that I might be wanting to try .

Thanks
George

Not recently, although I need to some more 200 grain bullets for my .38-40. I'll try to remember to post when I get them and let you know.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, am considering Montana Bullet Works for some hardcast GC for my Ruger .480. I'm planning a cape buffalo hunt in RSA next year. Good to see that the company got purchased and are continuing production.

Beartooth is also on my list.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want some plinking bullets here's an option.

http://missouribullet.com/resu...egory=5&secondary=38

Posts: 11 | Location: michigan, usa | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Also check out Leadhead Bullets. Not the most glamorous website but his bullets are great and I shot this group with my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .480 with his 420 grain bullet:

This was at 25 yards and was the first session with my new gun. Ignore the flyer as a guy sitting at the bench next to me touched off a 12 gauge at the INDOOR range and caused me to flinch!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, what load or velocity were you getting when you shot that fine target?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote