Find
Notify
Tools

Bisley worthy hunting. ;-)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted

Williams Shooters Supply , Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 Convertible Stainless . 5 1/2"
CCI 45 ACP shotshell #9 shot . dancing

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My next casting session I'm planning on casting with my Mihec 45 Ruger mold also.
It is supposed to drop 327 gr lfn style solids with the solid inserts installed. Iirc I have 1 deep hollow nose , 1 cup nose and 2 flat nose inserts installed at this time.
Having looked at the price of brass a couple days ago . The 45 is looking more and more appealing to me.
480 Ruger brass is about 3 times as expensive 8-( .
Maybe in the 2nd season I can post a pic with this gun and a defunct caribou ! That would be SWEET !!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have the same revolver.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I just picked up a 45 ACP cylinder for my blued Bisley 45 Colt and am going to have it fitted soon.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2
I need to come up with some better shot shells. The #9 shot sometimes isn't enough if farther than 25 feet away. Hopefully they will have some 45 cal gas checks @3 Bears Outpost tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you make homemade shot shells or am I seeing things in the brass besides multiple splits in the mouth?

I made homemade shot shells but they leaded the barrel badly so I decided to just buy the speer shot capsules.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the CCI 45 ACP shot shells . They all split at the mouth. And kinda swell up all around . They have #9 shot in them . They worked at shooting squirrels off the corners of the cabin and in willows adjacent to the cabin. But they aren't all that great.
I am going to load some 45 Colt shot shells . But haven't yet. Where did you get your shot cups ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
That's the CCI 45 ACP shot shells . They all split at the mouth. And kinda swell up all around . They have #9 shot in them . They worked at shooting squirrels off the corners of the cabin and in willows adjacent to the cabin. But they aren't all that great.
I am going to load some 45 Colt shot shells . But haven't yet. Where did you get your shot cups ?

If I remember correctly I bought them at Sportsmans Warehouse. Either that or I ordered them from Midway.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks !

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CTF, have you put that beautiful Bisley to work on anything bigger?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet. Seems all I do anymore is go to work and come home wore plum out.
But , the light at the end of the tunnel is , that gun ain't wearing out sitting in its holster . I have a plan that will give me a lot more time in the fall so my weekends are free to hunt. I'm going to get All my winters wood in before July.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was youngster, the border patrol chief in Marfa,Texas was my best friends dad..and he had a like new Bisley with a very long barrel and it shot like a rifle..we would go fishing on the Rio grande near LaJitas, Texas and sit on a rock and shoot other fishermens cans at 100 yards..Cans being used air filled vehicle air conditioner cans with a a cotter key soldered on, a double string to a treble hook with a chunk of liver on it for big catfish, Fishermen would toss a 100 or more of them out and follow them in a boat..Well we got caught and all hell took place and we got whipped good and no more Bisley...We could hit them almost every time..but all good things come to an end and this one was abrupt and final..whew! LOrd how Iwould have loved to have owned that pistol, still would, but I would damn sure pick my cans with more care, like at the county dump on weekends///

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the CCI 45 ACP shot shells .

They lock up my Freedom Arms guns, but my friend found a solution. I'll post a photo.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CTF: Good to see you posting again. I was getting worried.
Ray, great anecdote about the "can-fishing" on the Rio Grande. Another chapter for your memoir.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
That's the CCI 45 ACP shot shells .

They lock up my Freedom Arms guns, but my friend found a solution. I'll post a photo.

They kinda lock up this gun also. I should have some shot shell cups here soon so Ill use regular brass shells and reload my own.