Find
Notify
Tools

500 JRH on a 5 shot SRH
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
I have a spare barrel for my Super Redhawk. Thinking about getting it a JES rebore to have a 9.5" spare. Would then send it to the JRH shop for a 5 shot long barrel SRH in the famous 500 JRH. Get the blast and bluster farther from my face. I'm thinking a long for caliber bullet at a moderate speed for that case for a while. It would get me used to shooting heavier loads and load up from there. Packy

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I have a spare barrel for my Super Redhawk. Thinking about getting it a JES rebore to have a 9.5" spare. Would then send it to the JRH shop for a 5 shot long barrel SRH in the famous 500 JRH. Get the blast and bluster farther from my face. I'm thinking a long for caliber bullet at a moderate speed for that case for a while. It would get me used to shooting heavier loads and load up from there. Packy

That's a great caliber on an SRH chassis. Keep us posted!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have forgotten the correct bore dimension for the JRH? What would it be Whitworth? I remember thinking about options and looking at all the various suspects. But the 50 cal seems to be the trick. I can get away from the kind of bluster in a 44 Mag with the long barrel. I may need a different donor though. While dreaming up the JRH I thought about just going about 12" on the 44 Mag then doing a JRH from another donor. I have had two hand surgeries in the past but would simply load a fifty to mostly medium velocities for a while then ramp it to close to maximum. TIA. Packy

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I have forgotten the correct bore dimension for the JRH? What would it be Whitworth? I remember thinking about options and looking at all the various suspects. But the 50 cal seems to be the trick. I can get away from the kind of bluster in a 44 Mag with the long barrel. I may need a different donor though. While dreaming up the JRH I thought about just going about 12" on the 44 Mag then doing a JRH from another donor. I have had two hand surgeries in the past but would simply load a fifty to mostly medium velocities for a while then ramp it to close to maximum. TIA. Packy

The bore diameter is .500

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm getting to the point where I really need a red dot on a hunting sixgun. The SRH has become my favorite platform for a dedicated hunting revolver. Been seriously considering doing a .500JRH on one. Plus I think the SRH would seriously benefit from a custom barrel and front sight that was not only more proportionate but properly sculpted. I would probably go no more than 6".

Here's my Bisley .500JRH by Jack.

Already have SRH's in .44Mag, .454 and .480.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I Like the SRHs. I think I would like to try a Bisely grip on the Blackhawk or Vaquero. I have a new Vaquero in 45 LC but it hasn't the bisely grip. Have shot lots of RBs from the Old Army since 1974. I think it could use a conversion to .50 with the Bisely grip. Anyway, thanks for the photos of your pretties. Be Well. Packy