THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Single actions and Bisley hammers?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single actions and Bisley hammers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ruger offers single action revolvers with "standard" hammers and "Bisley" revolver hammers. I have been able to thumb cock single action revolvers while maintaining my grip only by using my "off" hand. Having small hands, I am able to thumb cock with shooting hand only by breaking my grip to use what I call my "gunslinger fast draw" method of cocking.

1. Are Bisley hammers easier to cock with shooting hand than standard hammers? If they are easier . . .

2. Can Bisley hammers be used effectively with standard grip frame? OR must grip frame become Bisley also?
3. I am specifically asking about shooting hand thumb cocking to create a solution for my Freedom Arms Model 97. While I have not queried Freedom, I am unaware of anything to improve my ability to thumb cock in their online catalog or any available custom work they have offered in the past. . . . I'm kind've fearful of losing available repair and/or custom work by voiding warranty.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the Bisley hammer but I put Super Blackhawk hammers on my cowboy shooting Blackhawks
and that made the hammers MUCH easier tO reach.
Aaron

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I don't know about a Bisley hammer with the standard grip, but I like the combination of Bisley hammer and grip a lot. I wish Ruger made them an option on all their single actions.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, Ruger Bisley hammers will fit Blackhawk frames. In my opinion, they are easier to cock one handed than the regular hammers.

You can certainly check with FA regarding a custom styled hammer, the answer will certainly be No if you don’t.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You can also use a Montado hammer. Also low and wide.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Vaquero Bisley but changed out the hammer for a standard blackhawk hammer because my hands are pretty big and the bisley hammer didn't feel like I was in control cocking the gun. The standard Blackhawk grip frame will have to be altered to allow the use of a bisley hammer because of the large hump on the back side of the bisley hammer. I am sure opening the hammer relief enough to allow for the bisley hammer wouldn't be hard but making it look like it wasn't cobbled might take some careful work.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
The Bisley hammers or you could have your hammers turned down a little.
You will like the difference!

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

The Montado Hammer is the same profile as the SBH hammer, just has a different pattern on the spur. I replaced the hammers on my Vaqueros with SBH hammers. The Bisley hammer will fit too but will require some modification.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

The Montado Hammer is the same profile as the SBH hammer, just has a different pattern on the spur. I replaced the hammers on my Vaqueros with SBH hammers. The Bisley hammer will fit too but will require some modification.
I like the pattern on those the best.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can fit a bisley hammer to a regular framed Blackhawk with a little file work. I have donw several for myself and family and friends. I have a bisley spurred FA model 83 that I showed to Bob Baker of FA just last week. He said Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel has been after him to do one so when I showed him the one I had Alan Harton do, he said he would refer Lynn to Alan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Mr. Baker examined your non-OEM hammer, did he mention, in any way, that Freedom Arms would no longer honor their warranty or willingness to work on your revolver?

Did Mr. Baker mention that Freedom Arms may make available, perhaps as a non-cataloged custom item, such a "Bisleyed" hammer for Their Model 97s as well as 83s?
quote:
Originally posted by rbrbrb6:
You can fit a bisley hammer to a regular framed Blackhawk with a little file work. I have donw several for myself and family and friends. I have a bisley spurred FA model 83 that I showed to Bob Baker of FA just last week. He said Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel has been after him to do one so when I showed him the one I had Alan Harton do, he said he would refer Lynn to Alan.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did not mention that they would not work on my 83 nor did he want to deal with offering a bisley hammer. That is why he was going to refer Mr. Thompson directly to Alan Harton.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbrbrb6:
He did not mention that they would not work on my 83 nor did he want to deal with offering a bisley hammer. That is why he was going to refer Mr. Thompson directly to Alan Harton.

rbrbrb6: PM sent to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Super Blackhawk hammer spur height above the hammer pivot pin is nearly identical to the Bisley hammer. However area around the hammer pivot on the Bisley is larger in diameter than the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk hammers. Thus the grip frame on the Blackhawk and Super must be relieved slightly to get the "bezel" around the hammer pivot pit to clear the frame.

Now you can exchange the Blackhawk hammer for the Super Blackhawk hammer with no modifications to the Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk grip frames as the "bezel" is the same diameter. Thus the Super Blackhawk hammer spur will sit lower than the Blackhawk hammer spur and facilitate a better reach for your thumb.

Lastly the Bisley hammer appears to sit lower than the SBH due to the Bisley grip frame itself extending upward behind the mainframe, thus covering the top two grip frame screws adjacent to the hammer. Depending on your hand size and grip position, it can put your thumb even closer to the spur for an easier reach. But that is a factor of the grip frame itself in conjunction with the hammer. If a SBH hammer was substituted to the Bisley frame the reach to the hammer spur with be nearly identical to the Bisley Hammer spur.

I hope this helps and that I've not made that too complicated.
Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To confirm Bisley hammer's shape would allow me to better control shooting hand cocking, I visited a gun sales' section of a large outdoor store. This was my first visit to a "gun store" in nearly a generation. Not a comfortable experience. And if this is how gun stores operate in Montana, I cannot imagine an experience in most of the remainder of the country.

I examined a Ruger stainless steel Blackhawk, Bisley configured, in 454 Casull. I brought a Freedom Arms Model 97 in 45 Colt as my "control." Since this was the first non-Freedom Arms single action revolver I have handled since the late 1970s, I need to ask whether the mechanism and its operating smoothness I should consider normal for Ruger Bisleys using such a powerful cartridge?

I found it to be significantly more difficult to handle and to cock and snap than my FA 97. The Bisley hammer on the Ruger was unusable compared with the FA 97, as is - for me. This probably has more to do with hand size and MCTD. Having typed that, I conclude two things. Until my examination and comparison, I had no idea how completely the quality of Freedom Arms revolvers has spoiled me. I also "know" that Mr. Harton's hammer customizing on my FA 97s will achieve the relatively easy shooting hand thumb cock I seek.

posted Hide Post
There is no comparison between stock Ruger and a Freedom Arms revolver. Glad you were able to get this sorted out before spending money on something not usable to you.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I called Alan Harton to inquire about Bisley hammer converion for FA 97s. Mr. Harton no longer does conversion, no longer works on any firearm other than Colt single actions. I asked whom he would recommend. His choice is:

John Powers
Powers Metal Works
228 Colorado Road
Duson, LA 70529
218-513-3438

Mr. Powers has my revolvers. He will alter 4.25-incher: Bisley hammer; round butt; reducing grip set for better control with my smaller arthritic hand; sculpt front sight assembly to be more graceful.

The 5.5-incher will have all previously mentioned changes except no round butt.

I sent him three tracings of my shooting hand that he requested. With this information he'll have better control of sizing/reducing grip sets.

He'll begin work in perhaps a month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also consider Jack Huntington for this kind of revolver custom work.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Powers can do it if anyone can. If you go to his website and look at some of the custom work he has performed you will be amazed. I was not sure if Alan would do the hammer work for you or not. I know he is enjoying not working on Rugers and focusing on traditional style single actions like the Colts and USFA guns. He recently did a USFA conversion for me of a 45 Colt to a 41 Special.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 7.5" old Bisley 44-40 some years ago, and I really liked that old gun, the hammer and the grip went well with each other IMO..I don't see why it wouldn't suit your cause..I sold that old gun for a fancy price, had I kept it I could have sold for 10 times that much..oh well, wasn't the first time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote