New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 500 Linebaugh bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, fellas. I have lots of experience loading for the 500 JRH and exactly zero for the Linebaugh. I would like to know with which bullet(s) you Linebaugh owners have had good results.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Landrum:
Hi, fellas. I have lots of experience loading for the 500 JRH and exactly zero for the Linebaugh. I would like to know with which bullet(s) you Linebaugh owners have had good results.

Any suggestions?

What will you be hunting?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer, hogs and black bear. And lots of targets.

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have shot a bunch of the Hunters Supply 420 grain FP bullets from my .500 Linebaugh. These are relatively inexpensive and can be loaded up or down as needed.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cast my own and have LBT molds for a 450 grain SWC and a 500 grain WLN. I also have an Mihec mold for a 525 grain WLN with hollow point pins.

I don't have any significant game experience with mine. I did use a 450 grain SWC to finish of a bull moose last year. It fully penetrated the skull and into the neck. I didn't find the bullet but honestly didn't look that hard. I had a couple of folks helping me dress the bull so it slipped my mind to watch for the bullet.

I don't really think you could find a bad bullet for the applications you list. A .510 bullet, even at pedestrian velocities will do a lot of heavy work.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardness matters too I’d think......depending on what you are hunting as Whitworth said.....What are you hunting?

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

Previously answered.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 450 grain Keith bullet for picket pins on up. We turned samples out of other bullets until we had one that was accurate at 360 yards. Just happened to be a ram silhouette in the pasture at that distance. Ballisti cast made the molds. Last spring a young man put five of them on a rock at 325 with trail boss loads. Dang kids with young eyes, the rock was basketball sized. He was sitting in a washout resting over his knees. Really good shooting and he receive that sixgun when I can’t use it any longer

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:

Previously answered.

Old eyes and late hours......totally missed that

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257x50:
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:

Previously answered.

Old eyes and late hours......totally missed that

I feel your pain brother.