Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like wood grips?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
I like wood grips. One part is that wood grips are nice, but I like that "feeling" too.

I didn't find my Baby Browning recoiling worse with wood grips, so I decided to put that on my 500 S&W too Big Grin
Arrived few days ago, didn't shoot that yet.

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I prefer wood over all else. Custom walnut Bisley grips made for my hand:

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Wow those look great!

I prefer wood grips, I normally have some sort of Hogue grip on the hand cannons though for recoil.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Whitworth

Beautiful grips!

That new grips on my 500 are made by Wilfried Nill (www.nill-griffe.com) in Germany. I measured my hand before ordering and it fits well.

There were factory "rubber grips". I didn't like the appearance slightly, but didn't like "how it moves in grips when fired". I like more control.

Also ordered LPA rear sight for that.

Will see if it will be better or not.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have handguns with wood grips, rubber grips, hard plastic grips, but micarta is my favorite material for grips.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
I have handguns with wood grips, rubber grips, hard plastic grips, but micarta is my favorite material for grips.

It's definitely the toughest.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks and feel of wood and have it on my light recoil guns. But on the bigger stuff, I use rubber grips.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun & what you are using it for. Off hand I have bone, stag, ivory, wood, soft rubber & hard rubber, & a couple of cheap pocket pistols with molded in grips. I like the feel & look of ivory the best.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:

I like grips that fit my hand. I'd rather have the big Hogue rubber grips on a Blackhawk than shoot it with the wood ones that twist in my hand.

I am perfectly happy with the wood grips that come on Bisleys.

Micarta is wonderful.

Revolvers I like them to fit my hand.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope I have mostly Pachmayr type grips on my revolvers.

Only wood grips I have on any handgun is a set of wooden ones on my SR1911.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I prefer wood over all else. Custom walnut Bisley grips made for my hand:

Damn Whitworth,those be fine!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
For me , it depends on what the gun will be used for . . Since cold and wet/frozen is pretty normal environment for my guns to be in they usually wear a weather impervious grip. Tho now that I use full flap holsters that protect the entire gun , its not as much an issue. I Love the feel of smooth Dall Sheep horn . It is Very nice, and very tough.

Upper is a 6 1/2" SBH Bisley 5 shot 480 Ruger with plastic grips . The owner put these on all his Bisley s . The bottom is the 500 Linebaugh with the Dall sheep grips . Both are friends gun . holster by Clerance Catledge.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like wood the best. Sometimes you luck out with factory grips.

Definitely not factory.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Those wood grips look terrific, but for guns I carry a lot I typically go with Hogue. Quieter, better grip with wet or bloody hands and they don't beat up my binoculars, rifles, etc. They're also so cheap that it doesn't hurt the wallet when they need to be replaced once in a while.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life is far too short to let one's handguns wear soulless rubber grips. Cool

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any single action deserves wooden grips. Double action, I can go either way. My .454 Ruger Alaskan ear splitter needs rubber grips.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice wood, ivory or sheep horn for me on all my revolvers. Just as important as the material is the skill of the craftsman fitting them to the grip frame. Roy Fishpaw, Rob Rowen, Paul Persinger for my single actions and Keith Brown for my Smith double actions are my artists of choice. These were all made by these gentlemen and in the order listed above.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Very Very Nice !!

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short of a couple with stags and one with micarta all of my revolvers have wood grips.

Some pretty.

Some pretty basic.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On working guns wore every day wood and other natural materials don't hold up as well as man made ones.

I seen and handled hundreds of working police hand guns as an armorer for a 500 man department.

Grips get the crap beat out of them.

Some of those wood grips are very nice and are works of art.

But worn every day on a working handgun they well not look that way for long.

Experience from armoring for decades has confirmed my opinion that stainless steel and non natural grips hold up the best.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Shooting report with my new wood grips on 500 S&W:

From my point of view, it is way better than rubber factory grip. I think (I don't really know) that rubber is "too soft" and in the time of recoil, steel part inside grip just press through rubber on small area of palm. Wood grip sits great in hand and recoil is transferred through much large surface. Definitively better control and less pain in palm, elbow etc. Tested with loads with 406gr bullet from subsonic up to ~1 600 fps. I will never go back for factory rubber one. Also new LPA rear sight is great improvement.

Jiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking set of grips.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like nice wood and Ivory especially Mamouth Ivory or aged elephant scale cut.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I like pretty wood, but ivory has an unparalleled feel.

I don't know of another living gripmaker that can do the things that Paul Persinger can do with ivory. He is in a class of his own.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer wood grips on my Auto Mags. The original plastic grips feel horrible in the hand, and they crack as well.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends..I like pachmyers on my Chief Special as it hugs the inside of my pants and I don't need a holster, just stick it in my belt butt forward, Same with my .45 auto.

I like wood on my combat magnum and large frame revolvers as the pachmyers lock the grip you take and hard to change when time is of essence. Wood changes easy, but in some cases to easy with the real kickers..

So with me I mess around with a new gun and after awhile I'll settle on the grip that suits me best..I can't say one is better than another, that's limiting yourself and not a smart move IMO..

From a nostalgic, personal like, and good all around feel, I like Mastadon Ivory, elephant outside scales, wood, its just beautiful stuff, and very practical except like wood, it can crack and break, but easy to repair as a rule..

Hard question to answer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote