Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunt with 45 Super
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
on a 1911 (and . . . AND ONLY) 1911 Chassis?
Longer or Standard barrel?
Bullet choice?
Game hunted?

Surely it will perform to at least 10mm levels.

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have an Austrian Hi-Point with 9" barrel but didn't get out with it. And it is NOT a 1911 for sure. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once the bullet leaves the barrel the platform that launched it.

Is meaningless.

Impact velocity is what matters a .451 bullet is just that.

I seen several deer shot 451/452 dia bullets from 800+ to 2000 fps. They all died.

The proper bullet design for the job out of the super placed in the right place will get the job done.

There isn't enough different in a proper .400 gr bullet and a proper .451 bullet at similar velocities to matter.

Bullet design and placement is far more critical then cailber

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
Had a friend that took a whitetail deer here in MI. with a good old .45ACP 1911 just shooting box-stock 200g +P Speer Gold Dots.
He was in a tree stand so it was a fairly close shot but he said it dropped quickly.

For the last 2 years I've hunt deer with a 10mm 1911, but I haven't bagged one yet with it. My hand loads are pushing 180g LBT GC slugs at @1350FPS and I am not too worried about having to chase them far if I get the chance...

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me. I am having trouble with feeding. I had changed to a slide with the milled mount for red dot sights. I have decided it throws the whole balance of the gun off. It is much lighter. I have really heavy guide rod and springs that must throw off the timing of feeding because a lack of weight in the slide. Will go back and have the original milled and drilled to fit the RMR. Then perhaps all will go back to normal. I'm using the same Buffalo Bore loads and only the slide was changed. I just have to get back to this project. Be Well, Packy.