THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Modified Sights for Ruger BlackHawk?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modified Sights for Ruger BlackHawk?
 Login/Join

<PowderBurns>
posted
I've a Ruger New Super BlackHawk 44 mag., 10.5" bbl. The sights couldn't be much more open. Rear notch is WAY too wide.

A friend suggested a wider front blade, but the blade is already too wide for accuracy. Anybody know of a bead and notch set-up for this gun?

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Despite what works for rifles, best accuracy in handguns sights is typically found with the patridge set up, a wide rear notch and wide front blade that is back cut to procuce a sharp line on the top of the blade.

What type of groups are you getting? A buddy shot a 1" group at 100 yds with an iron sighted contender. Groups with revolvers are 1-2" at 25 yds.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
I can get 2" at 25 yds. But I'm looking to hit a 9" paper plate at 100 yds. -- consistently. The rear notch is huge/sloppy. Hard to line up the barrel at any distance.

------------------

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Concentrate on the front blade, and practice, practice, practice! Your gun has the needed accuracy.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
OK, I hate to nag but . . .

The front blade is wider than the 9" plate at 100 yds. And there's a huge gap on either side of the rear sight notch.

So I just concentrate on centering this mass? And practice, practice, practice???

(Maybe I should start at 50 yd.)

--Thanks!

------------------

<TomA>
posted
Contact Ruger, they sell a wide range of sights for all of their pistols.

<Vek>
posted
Millett sells all manner of rear sight packages with different groove depths and widths. Might be what you're after.