How light a trigger, G 20. ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefteris Vassiliadis:
What I do not like about Glock triggers is not the pull weight which could be adjusted, as already mentioned, but trigger travel.

Those of use who shoot double action revolvers well double action have no trouble handling a Glock trigger.

If one can shoot a double action well one can shoot almost any thing well.

It is all technique.

I understand, but why all this trouble when there is a better alternative, named 1911?

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
If you want to shoot 1911s Thats your problem. I didn't start this thread to have it cluttered up with 1911 trash. If you can't learn to shoot a striker fired pistol, or don't want to learn to . That is NOT part of this thread ! So please , do start your own thread on your preferred handgun.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyper:
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I would never modify the trigger on a self defense purposed glock. Massad Ayoob has written extensively on the subject.

Yes, it's his job to write about such things.
That doesn't mean he's always right..
Most cops and lawyers will repeat such things, but few can show real life examples of it making any difference in the actual verdicts of an otherwise "good" self-defense shooting.

I have the 3.5 in my Glock 23 and it's never fired when I didn't want it to.

Some worry too much, and some just repeat what they read on the internet.

Great post. To be judged by someone after a lethat action generally means one lived thru it. That is the first and most important thing to consider IMO.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can adjust to any poundage on a trigger, I can't cope with trigger creep..My old 45 Colt has a 5 lb. trigger that breaks like an ice sickle and I don't have any issues with it, its safe and shoots great.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can adjust to any poundage on a trigger

Very true but it takes work.

My son brought a LC9 not the pro against my advice.

It was is in my opinion a lawyer and I am afraid of my gun proof design.

But the price was right and free market.

Now he realizes that it sucks so he brought up to me as I had a buyer for it. I have been playing with it after a couple hundred dry fires.

I believe that I could shoot it fairly well but long heavy trigger pulls on a light gun is a challenge,

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a LC9 for my wife. Boy howdy, that was a mistake. It is basically a belly gun imho. And, it had a safety on it. She couldn't hit worth a hoot with it. I would have kept it for myself except it had a Lavender frame. The LC9S is a pretty good pistol tho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have kept it for myself except it had a Lavender frame

But wouldn't the boys on the job like that.

dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
On a defense pistol I would not mess with it, I would however buy a pistol that had a decent trigger pull. My old Browning HiPower has a crisp 4 lb. trigger and Im satisfied with that.

I'd bet it has been worked on in the past sometime. Does the magazine disconnector still work?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've got a 5 lb trigger on my 20. I never carry it. Doesn't matter how light or heavy it is I can never tell when it's gonna go off.

If it was 2 stage it would be different.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always know when mine is gonna go off. . It'll go off every time when I pull the trigger. fishing
sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for being a wise ass.
Surely it goes off at the same point each time ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I've got a 5 lb trigger on my 20. I never carry it. Doesn't matter how light or heavy it is I can never tell when it's gonna go off.

If it was 2 stage it would be different.

Dry fire it a few hundred times and that well take care of your problem on not knowing when the sear breaks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, time on the trigger will solve lots of things.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Yes, at the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Yes, at the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:

Just a matter of training your finger and mind on learning where that is each and every time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger: :::: I would like opinions/experiences , about the 3.5 lb connector. ::::: for general purpose and hunting. Thanks ! Glen.

I'll let others comment on hunting. For general purpose, Alaska is probably more gun friendly than some other places.

I can't speak for Ayoob, but he has documented plenty of criminal prosecutions & civil lawsuits where basically good people were justified in using deadly force in self defense, but were targeted afterwards because of whatever reasons (politics, insurance money, hatred, etc...).

Some reasons were total BS, but the folks & families still had to pay & suffer through all that courtroom and misreporting in the news.

A trigger lighter than factory, used for self defense or the accusation that you accidentally (negligently) shot someone, has been used to prosecute or sue people. I don't want to set myself up for that.

And I agree, learning to shoot a good double action revolver is great training that carries over to other triggers.

FWIW, IMHO.

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A trigger lighter than factory, used for self defense or the accusation that you accidentally (negligently) shot someone, has been used to prosecute or sue people.

Can you find one such instance? My lawyer and I did a Lexus/Nexus search for a couple hours and could not find a single case that was not internet myth. I would seriously like to know of one.

Same with the myth about reloaded ammo being used in prosecution. Can't find one of those either. I really am looking to find a case, not just being arbitrary.

My lawyer said these were irrelevant to the fact that someone pulled the trigger, intentionally or not, heavy or light, reloaded or factory.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you find one such instance? My lawyer and I did a Lexus/Nexus search for a couple hours and could not find a single case that was not internet myth

All these recommendations are really only related to law enforcement law suits.

Deep pockets rule the day with insurance company welling to settle out of court for high dollars.

Defendants and their lawyers well look for anything that might call in doubt the practices of a department.

Whether the claims can be substituted or not.

On the civilian side it is more a matter of fact that you don't touch a round off unless you are absolutely sure.

So if YOU are positive YOU well never do that carry what makes sure YOU well never do that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
A trigger lighter than factory, used for self defense or the accusation that you accidentally (negligently) shot someone, has been used to prosecute or sue people.

Can you find one such instance? My lawyer and I did a Lexus/Nexus search for a couple hours and could not find a single case that was not internet myth. I would seriously like to know of one.

Same with the myth about reloaded ammo being used in prosecution. Can't find one of those either. I really am looking to find a case, not just being arbitrary.

My lawyer said these were irrelevant to the fact that someone pulled the trigger, intentionally or not, heavy or light, reloaded or factory.

I forget where in internet land I read his posted Case histories, and my memory isn't definite enough to "quote" him, but Mas has taught from experience for decades, including this hair trigger concern.

Without speaking for him, or putting words in his mouth, I recall Mas' explanation of this as along the lines of opposing counsel convincing a jury that your trigger (below factory specifications; i.e. hair trigger) resulted in you accidentally shooting someone.

This leads to negligence on your part, which directly resulted in you using deadly force when you shouldn't and you are finished.

Juries are picked for their ignorance of gun stuff or anything else the other sides lawyer doesn't want them to know about.

Civil or legal or both courts. Not just cops. And if you have any kind of insurance they can tap into, or a house, or whatever - they want it.

For different reasons, "inappropriate application of Law" happens sometimes. Too many people legally defended themselves (per Court decision) but something like a "hair trigger" put them in prison or left them broke.

And yeah, apologizes for not simply posting case histories but I've lost the links. And after reading them, and my personal experience with stuff I disagree with, I simply decided not to go against the experience of Mas & others.

My opinion and worth what it cost....

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I recently installed The Ghost Ultimate 3.5 connector and springs. The Trigger is NOT to light and Soooo Much smoother than the Original. I mainly use it for carry in the field.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And yeah, apologizes for not simply posting case histories but I've lost the links. And after reading them, and my personal experience with stuff I disagree with, I simply decided not to go against the experience of Mas & others.

No problem. I really am just looking for any real cases. Been looking for a long time. Still looking. While I think Ayoob does good work, I don't automatically believe everything I read, from anyone, not just him.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread and lots of opinions.

I carried an H&K P7 for years and shot various pistols and revolvers including DA competitively (DA wheelguns in pin matches). I hated my first Glock. The trigger does not roll like a good DA but is initially heavy and spongy and breaks abruptly with overvtravel. Dry fire shows how nasty it is. You can learn almost anything but improvement can save lot of time.

I swapped the connector for a lighter one. It was probably 1995 and I suspect it was touted as 2.5 lbs. I swapped to lighter striker spring and I did experience some light strikes. I then went the other way to a heavy duty striker spring (was it blue?) and a Glockworx (zev) heavy trigger spring which improves and lightens the pull. Yes. Check on their site. Ghost are another source.

I run that to this day and it is reliable and everyone who tries it likes it. I would do that for a hunting piece. The let off improves too. Here all Glocks subsequently came detailed with lighter disconnector kits as OEM as far as I know.

If light single action triggers are considered good I always wondered why a 3.5# Glock was bad. I recall an 8# called a New York trigger at one time issued to police departments. I would hate that. Accuracy is also critical to avoiding liability in defensive situations.

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GATOGORDO,
The magazine disconnect still works fine, its never had trigger work..Its a crisp 4 pounds..it also has never jammed one time in over the 50 years Ive owned it and carried it in Mexico as the 45 was not allowed even for polic officers...Its the only pistol Ive kept for that long, in fact may be the only gun Ive owned for that long except dads and granddads Texas Ranger rifles..Its well worn..Im not much interested in pistols other than an ocassional deer shoot these days so sold off most of my pistols..I used to be into pistols pretty heavy but its rifles today.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote