Find
Notify
Tools

How light a trigger, G 20. ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
Currently I have the standard oem trigger in my G 20, I would like opinions/experiences , about the 3.5 lb connector. Wether it would be advantagous to install one in my pistol for general purpose and hunting.
Thanks !
Glen.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No unless you are target shooting too light a trigger can be detrimental. Especially in a self-defense situation. To easy to fire a shot prematurely.

I own 6 glocks only one has the 3.5 and I can't tell the difference between that ones trigger and the 5lb triggers.

But then I use 12lb double action revolver triggers with out trouble.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks P dog . ! .
So, on a trigger pull guage , the 3.5 lb is the same as the factory trigger ?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, that is not what he said. He said HIS FINGER can't tell the difference and I know what he means. There is not much difference in a 1.5 lb difference between the 5 lb factory and the 3.5lb lightened one. I agree, that a 3.5lb trigger is too light for a self defense pistol and even light for hunting.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had assumed that since most hunting handguns are shot single action that it may be a good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no problems with my G19 or G40 Longslide with the factory triggers, for SD or hunting purposes. That is why I bought the G40, specifically for hunting mid sized game. It's hard to equate the trigger of a pistol with that of a revolver shot in single action..two very different animals.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. Perhaps there's something I'm missing .

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
No, that is not what he said. He said HIS FINGER can't tell the difference and I know what he means. There is not much difference in a 1.5 lb difference between the 5 lb factory and the 3.5lb lightened one. I agree, that a 3.5lb trigger is too light for a self defense pistol and even light for hunting.

I disagree. I can most certainly tell a difference in a 5 pound trigger compared to a 3.5 pound trigger. 1.5 pound difference is a big difference.

For me a 3.5 pound trigger is not to light, in fact mine are lower than that.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with jwp. There is a big difference between 5 and 3.5 lbs. I don't consider 3.5 to be anywhere near too light for a hunting application. I will assume hunting is all that we are discussing here seeing that this is the handgun hunting forum. That said, none of my hunting handguns have triggers heavier than 2.5 lbs.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not like the feel of the factory Glock five pound trigger. The 3.5lb is a big improvement imo and not to light. Try it, if you don't like it, switch it back.

The 3.5 pound connector comes stock on the models 34 & 35 if memory serves correctly. I don't think there's a safety issue unless you are ham-handed.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
. Ya, I guess I'll give it a try . . . I figured there would be 100% positive feedback for the lighter trigger.
Thanks all.
Glen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put the 3.5 connector in all of my Glocks. It just feels better to me. For my 19 I also did all of the polishing to bring the pull down lower yet. You do have to remember that it is mostly in what you get used to and the muscle memory involved.

When I competed, that Glock trigger was around 2#, but that was a while back. If you change it, as someone else said, you can change it back, but the key is always lots of practice.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think when I get the 40 S+W barrel for it I'll put in the 3.5 lb connector.
Thanks for all the replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a Glock 20 and sold it and bought a Glock 40. In the 20, I first tried what is referred to as the "25 cent trigger job" polishing everything. Then I installed a Ghost 3.5 pound connector and it improved things some over the original trigger but still not to my liking. So, I removed it and installed a Zev tech Fulcrum adjustable trigger. It reduced the creep, eliminated the overtravel and reduced the trigger pull weight a bit. The full length of travel on the trigger now is about 1/4 inch. It's a big improvement over the original trigger. I went through the same drill on the G40 and ended up with the Zev Tech again.

The trigger pull is not as good as a 1911 or a single action revolver but it's a big improvement over the stock Glock trigger. I think it's just a matter of what kind of trigger pull you prefer.

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Thanks P dog . ! .
So, on a trigger pull guage , the 3.5 lb is the same as the factory trigger ?

What I am saying for real life shooting except for precision target work I can not tell the difference.

Then of course I shoot double action revolvers double action well also. So a 5lb pound clock trigger is nothing.

For a strictly hunting hand gun a lighter trigger is find but you add general purpose into the situation that would include self-defense.

To light a trigger in that situation could be detrimental.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I watched some You. Tube vids on that trigger and others . It seems most of them reduce the trigger pull weight down to around 4+ lbs . I won't fool with the striker spring as regardless what primer I use . The gun absolutely Must ALWAYS go Bang. And Ive never had a problem with the oem striker spring doing just that.
I've been thinking about pistol accuracy some lately as the front sight seems to get fuzzier with each year that passes. So I've been thinking about an optical sight or perhaps an express style ( big bead , shallow v rear) ect. . And have been thinking about wether a lighter trigger would help. Since a 3.5 lb connector kit is the least expensive option .

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I had a 3.5 connector installed in my 40SW Glock and it was a major improvement. I use it mainly for Self Defence and find it about perfect. It improved my groups at the range also.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sep, thanks for that intel. G40 inbound.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
3.5 is a great upgrade. Dad has one in his 40 and it makes me miss my Glock. Wish I would have changed that when I had my last one.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the lighter trigger is the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a 3.5 connector installed in my 40SW Glock and it was a major improvement. I use it mainly for Self Defence and find it about perfect. It improved my groups at the range also.

Have you ever used it in a self defense situation or have you just carried it in your self-defense pistol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not understanding what the deviding line is . For self defense purposes , I keep my finger off the trigger until its time to shoot.
If a 1911 or other single action can serve as a defense pistol. I don't know what problem a 3.5 lb connector would pose in a Glock ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if you ever studied high energy dynamic situations your fine motor skills are the first to go.

Rounds fired justly are not a problem, rounds fired because you gripped your gun a bit hard because your finger was a bit cold or you loss your fine motor skills. You slipped or fell or had a sympathetic muscle response.

Could very well lead to prosecution, law suits and other bad things happening.

Carry what ever weight trigger you want but it isn't a very good excuse in court when trying to explain why you triggered an unintended round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm going to add the Lone Wolf 3.5 connector, the Glock extended slide stop and the stainless steel guide rod to my G40, along with a reflex sight -- likely the Burris Fastfire III. This is primarily a hunting rig.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive been thinking about building another pistol . Start with a gen 3 , G20 , put a milled slide and a threaded barrel and Lone Wolf muzzle brake. A 22 lb spring with ss guide rod and 3.5 lb connector. And probably a Vortex Venom sight .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a McNally trigger in my Glock 40 which I intend to use for hunting. mostly hogs. Huge improvement over factory and well worth it IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, what load do you favor for hogs?

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
It ain't the load, it's the shot (placement), mostly Wink .

That said, I plan on using 200gr Nosler or 180 Hornady until I change barrels, have 2 Lone Wolf I am going to try with cast bullets. I would recommend Blue Dot as a powder of choice for those bullets. Of course, the fact that I've got at least an 8 lb containers of it, doesn't hurt my choice either. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I just got dies, brass and a box Hornady 180-grain XTPs and have heard 11 grains of Blue Dot is just the ticket. Also bought a Lone Wolf barrel for cast. And of course, shot placement is key.

beer

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great minds think a like..... Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a 2.5 lb. trigger on my revolvers and rifles "for the most part"...On a big bore rifle or an auto pistol I want a 3.5 or 4....

BUT, I can adjust to about any trigger being raised shooting Win. lever actions, and milsurp Springfields and Mausers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll watch a couple vids on Glock trigger replacement and install the 3.5 lb connector that I I got and try it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
I think I'll watch a couple vids on Glock trigger replacement and install the 3.5 lb connector that I I got and try it out.

They are easy to take out and replace I done it hundreds of times as a glock armorer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never modify the trigger on a self defense purposed glock. Massad Ayoob has written extensively on the subject.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a defense pistol I would not mess with it, I would however buy a pistol that had a decent trigger pull. My old Browning HiPower has a crisp 4 lb. trigger and Im satisfied with that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Falling in love with a 3lb trigger on my FA 83 454, I had a difficult time adjusting to the-horrible trigger on my 1st G20. I did one of the slicked-up connectors for a while. I found and fell in love with a product called the Ultimate Pyramid trigger system. Find them on sale for around $200. Replaces the entire trigger mechanism, the striker, safety plunger, and striker spring-several to play with, I chose 6lb).

I like it and have replaced trigger systems on my two others-another G20, and a G29.
My 10mm fetish includes a S&W pre-lock 610.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I do not like about Glock triggers is not the pull weight which could be adjusted, as already mentioned, but trigger travel.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefteris Vassiliadis:
What I do not like about Glock triggers is not the pull weight which could be adjusted, as already mentioned, but trigger travel.

Those of use who shoot double action revolvers well double action have no trouble handling a Glock trigger.

If one can shoot a double action well one can shoot almost any thing well.

It is all technique.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I would never modify the trigger on a self defense purposed glock. Massad Ayoob has written extensively on the subject.

Yes, it's his job to write about such things.
That doesn't mean he's always right..
Most cops and lawyers will repeat such things, but few can show real life examples of it making any difference in the actual verdicts of an otherwise "good" self-defense shooting.

I have the 3.5 in my Glock 23 and it's never fired when I didn't want it to.

Some worry too much, and some just repeat what they read on the internet.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote