New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best full-size 45 ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since our state limits mag capacity to 10+1, I thought I'd add a 45 ACP to the collection. I'm not thinking 1911, as I don't like the SAO and all the safety gizmos. I'm thinking S&W MP2, Walther, Sig 220, HK45, etc. Thoughts?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I like various 1911's, some Blocks if you like them, I know you have owned them, and especially the SIG P-220 I am carrying. You need to shoot a great variety of them (A shame!) to see what hits your fancy and shoots well for you. My Blocks are both experimental for me. The 21 with a 50 GI upper and the #41 with a 9" threaded barrel for 45 Super experimentation. I just decided that the Block is for limited use to me as the trigger safety blade has gotten folks hurt. But for outdoor use in a Diamond D chest rig maybe they would be great. A barrel and mag change would convert the 20/40 wouldn't it? Maybe a guide rod and spring too. Be Well Biebs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy, yes, a Glock would serve the purpose...I'm just considering perhaps something a bit more elegant :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as “plus size” goes, the HK SOCOM mk 23 is very accurate. It does have the capability of being used cocked and locked but also can be used regular DA. It’s also big and heavy.

I don’t see the point of a Glock if you are magazine restricted- they are reliable, but they are a large double stack frame gun, big hands (the HK is big there too). I kind of think all the polymer striker guns are a oneness.

The SiG 220 is another DA gun, but pretty high bore axis. It’s metal, so it’s weight soaks up some recoil.

If you want the benefits of the 1911, but no SA you could try and find one of the older para LDA guns- it’s a somewhat preloaded DAO hammer gun. I don’t know if it’s still made, mine is a double stack gun, but I think (operative word) they made them in single stack format as well.

The old S&W metal DA autos might be worth a look as well- I never found them all that accurate, but they are much more amenable to normal sized hands than most of the polymer.45 autos.

The newer glock single stack guns are just a bit too small to me- hard to control.

Honestly, I’d go with a 1911 of some stripe myself, but you’ve already said that’s not in the cards.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Sig P220 for non 1911 45ACPs. I don't own one but i've shot several over the years. I need to add one to my collection.

My brother bought an H&K MK23 SOCOM several years ago. He has smaller hands than I do and I knew the first time we went out and shot it that he wouldn't have it in his possession for very long. It was big and bulky even for me.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it seems most striker-fired guns are made with maximum capacity in mind. I'll have to re-think the 1911.

posted Hide Post
I really like my S&W 4506.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MS, I've looked at the S&W MP 45 which seems to tick all the boxes. I want to try one first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aside from “God’s Gun” I have used and like most of the other full size .45 APC platforms available. Though the non-striker guns do have all of the controls of the 1911 and in some the addition of a separate decocking lever.

The SIG 220 is good but I would look for an older one. Specifically those with the sheet metal slide and the roll pin that fixes the breech in the slide.

I’m a fan of the HK USP Pistols and they tend to be quite accurate and rugged too.

The HK Mark 23 is my favorite non 1911 but as stated above they are big, like 80% the size of a Desert Eagle. Like it’s USP sibling they are quite accurate and very rugged. The USP45 Tactical has a many of the features of the Mark 23 but isn’t as big and about half the price.

If you’re open to a midsize Striker platform look to the Glock 30s. To me it has a similar Goldilocks in the hand feel as the Glock 19, carries well, and conceals well.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, have you tried the newer HK45? A bit more slimline than the USP. I'd love to find one with the new LEM trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger P90

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Sig P229 in 10mm a couple of years ago for an extended Alaska trip. Was very impressed with accuracy and smooth operation, so much so that the wife and I switched our EDC pistols from H&K to Sigs,

Posts: 74 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have a SIG 365XL as a small carry gun and like it a lot.

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I learned to shoot with 1911s, but time moves on. I have had a Glock 21 and a 41, liked them pretty well.

I recently got a CZ P-10F in .45 ACP. As much as I love CZ's rifles it is kind of strange that I waited so long to shoot any of their pistols.

I really like it. It is Full Size allright, like CZ rifles it is a bit of a "tractor," maybe a little big and heavy but plenty rugged. It seems to have been designed to fit my hand.

It shoots very very well, with probably the best trigger I have ever had on a striker pistol. Worth a look if you want a full-size .45.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don’t want a 1911 then take a look at the CZ-97. I think you will like it unless you are looking at something more concealable.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, never tried a CZ, but it seems they just about own the competitive pistol sports.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite .45 ACP is a S&W 625. It is accurate (even more accurate with .45 AR) and a very pleasant gun to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ pistols have become my favorite handguns. I don't have one in 45ACP, only because I wasn't aware they were made.

I have the CZ 85 and a CZ 75 Shadow II. The Shadow II is the most accurate Pistol I own.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

My experience with the HK 45 is limited to a few magazines put through one that an acquaintance has. I thought it was decent but it is definitely different in the hand than a USP. Slimmer yes but also has a roundness to it compared to the USP. The trigger was unremarkable; I’ve had better and worse. I much prefer the ergos and slab sided grip of the USP and MK23 generation of HK pistols. I would like to work out a HK fit with the LEM trigger just to see what it’s about. I do know that HK offers a LEM fitment for the USP platform and it’s supposed to give a more definite point at sear release compared to the standard issue trigger.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the LEM trigger is getting great reviews, but I haven't seen one on an HK 45 yet.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I love my CZ 75 in 9mm but their 45 is too bulky + the lines don't suit me, but that's just me. I'm sure their performance would be up to par with their 9's. I have tried the Sig 220 + although it is a great pistol, I am left-handed + it is a totally right handed pistol (as there are NO left handed Germans). I will stick with my 1911; it might be a right-handed model as well but a lefty can operate it quite well, slide release with forefinger, etc.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I'm reconsidering the 1911....single stack, great trigger, what's not to like.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
1911s can be had in so many variations one surely could get one to suit. I have a 3", 4", and 5" Gov't. The 3" is an S&W with some enhancements. It carries well but will eat at a pocket until it makes a hole. I need to get a pocket protector holster for it. As it is I use a deep pocket in my Duluth Traders' jeans. There is even a partial pocket in the bottom that is made to keep change in one side. It keeps a barrel in position so the gun doesn't slide into un-useable angles. Takes a bit of practice and it probably is deep carry for a 1911 or my SIG P-220 I have in it right now. The SIG, as large as it is, hasn't eaten a hole in these pockets. Be Well and I hope you find something you like. The journey is a lot of the fun in life. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried 1911s in law enforcement work and as a in personal protection for decades. Never liked Glocks. Tried a few Glocks and after a while I got a Glock 30S in 45 acp. Turns out I have sold all but one of my 1911s and prefer the Glock 30s. Why, well it’s probably more reliable, lighter, easier to conceal, very accurate and LESS felt recoil than a full size all still 1911. Also for the average shooter a Glock is easier to keep up.
Also it has an easier manual of arms.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jon, I still say that the 1911 is the way to go. As I posted on another forum here, per your comment; the Para-Ord (essentially a 1911 w/ dbl. stack mag.) is the best of both worlds.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs .... you want to buy my Kimber 1911super carry 45 ...?:-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOH! Since we can't carry here, I'm going for a full-size this time.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Biebs:
I read your OP. A serious question from someone far removed from the firearm restrictive state you live in. Magazine capacity is 10+1. What about a Winchester 1873? My old .32-20 holds 14 in the magazine. And semi auto .22 rimfire with tube magazines? Can you clarify?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, most restrictions apply mainly to semi-auto firearms, and 22 rifles are exempt from capacity limits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see that nobody has mentioned the FNX 45 If I wanted to up the capacity of my 1911's that is the pistol I would choose
As it is when I carry a full size 1911 I have a 8 round mag plus one in the chamber and carry at least one 10 round mag if not two

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zephyr, the FN is a great gun, as is the CZ, but the big double stack mags can't be utilized here with a 10 round limit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best 1911 I own is the
Sig TacOps. Great trigger, easily the most accurate 1911 I own.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the big double stack mags can't be utilized here with a 10 round limit

I might wait until end of June and see what happens with the New York rifle and pistol case.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, interesting development!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What???? other companies make 45 ACPs..oh well stupid is as stupie does!! dancing

I bought a Springfield mil-spec model new for very little money figuring to trick it out..It shoots so good out of the box that I havn't done a thing to it..The trigger could use a bit of honing, but I shoot it well, so why fix what ain't broke..It feeds anything from simi wadcutters to beer cans, so Im good there, Id call it a top of the line combat pistol and almost target quality..A lot depends on what you expect out of a 1911 or any pistol for that matter. but any old clunker 1911 can be tricked out to combat status or Target status..but you know that!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't like the SAO and all the safety gizmos

LOL, you don't like all of the 'manual' safety guzmos. They're still all there in whatever you select and the trigger won't be as nice as a 1911. Given that, I'm partial to the S&W M&P's in striker guns.

And the .45 ACP isn't much of a hunting handgun unless it's rabbits, maybe coyotes, etc. Certainly not deer nor hog worthy IMO unless it's point blank range. There are too many other better options out there like the 10mm.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKe1ter, I've already got revolvers to hunt with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My preference has always been the colt commander, either steel or the light weight version, but a 1911 to me is a combat pistol, not say its not a great target pistol when tricked out, it is..Ive always carried one or a Browning HP, but its not 10 plus 1, what a worthless, useless law.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here is my target/hunting* combo: .45 ACP/.460 Rowland. Just for opening your mind...

https://www.460rowland.cz/

* hunting with handguns not allowed in my country, but can be used here as wounded wild boar self defense etc.

.45 ACP mags are regular longer 14 rounds capacity, .460 Rowland mags have dual springs for enhanced reliability, so capacity is limited to 12 with the same mags. I also installed fancy german trigger as you can see on the last photo.

From my point of view, the best "utility" full size .45 ACP is FNX 45 Tactical.

Jiri

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, very nice set-up! Your country makes probably the best competition handguns out there....the CZ.