THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    45 Colt load for Ruger and xtp?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt load for Ruger and xtp?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I got a reply from Starline on the 45 colt brass. I asked of maybe they could post something in their FAQ section to tell the world that the new 45 colt cases are not weak.

Glenn

The Starline 45 colt case is capable of handling 44 mag pressures in guns capable of handling those pressures as well. However if such a load found its way into a single action cowboy gun the result maybe catastrophic. I will not post this information for the simple fact that someone may stop reading after first sentence or not understand that the gun system can often be the weakest link in the chain.

Thank You
Debbie Customer Service

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless, that was a good article. I see he uses pretty hot loads in the S&W. I use the 335 gr LBT in my .45 Ruger for 1160 fps with 21.5 gr's of 296. I use the Federal 150 primer though and it reduces pressure a little over a mag primer. I depend on tight boolit pull for a good burn.
This load has shot some 1" groups at 75 yd's and has dropped deer in their tracks out to 100 yd's.
As soon as I go past 21.5 gr's, groups start to open a little and they open a little as I load down too.
This is also the most accurate charge in my .44 SBH using the 320 gr LBT, the Lee 310 Gr and my home made 330 Gr. In the .44 I get 1316 fps. I have put 4 out of 5 shots in 3/4" with one out opening the group to 1-1/4" at 100 yd's with this load. I also use the Fed 150 in the .44.
21.5 gr's of 296 seems to be the magic number for both calibers and heavy cast boolits.
Both guns shoot flat and are death to deer, no if ands or buts.
I do not believe in pushing a gun to the max because I prefer the accuracy any day. I have worked to 24 gr's in both guns but accuracy just gets worse and worse as soon as 21.5 is exceeded. I don't believe in more noise and blast because it will only make a deer deaf if you can't hit it.
My friend went MUCH higher looking for pressure signs in his .45 Vaquero. I won't tell but I lost 10,000 more hairs when he told me what he did and he never even had a flat primer or sticky case. No wonder I am old and gray!
Cast boolits on the average can use more powder then jacketed with less pressure. Thats why I always say to use the starting load for whatever powder is used and work up slowly. You will see groups tighten to the most accurate, then start to open again. Back off to the accurate load and don't look for more velocity, it is useless and won't kill better. Guys would be amazed at the Ruger's accuracy if they just get off the max load bandwagon.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Olevern, everyone forgot to mention that most Ruger .45's have throats smaller then the bore and need lapped or reamed. If you can't slip a bullet through the throats with your thumb easily, GET IT FIXED or it will never group and pressures go up. You don't want to size down a bullet smaller then the bore, in the throats, when you shoot.
Reaming can turn 6" groups at 25 yd's to 1" groups at 50 yd's right now.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter,

thanks for the heads-up, but that was the first thing i checked when i received my new pistol...the throats were perfect just as they came..

i have two other ruger 45 colts, one an older stainless 7 1/2" convertible which was also perfect as shipped, and another an older blue bisley that i had to have reamed. I usually take a bunch of rifles and pistols to the ranch to play with, but will carry my new accusport bisley this trip as a primary weapon.

btw, i purchased a 10" bfr 45-70 last month but will probably not take it as i just have not had time to work with it...some of my fav. 45-70 loads for my marlin 1895, custom siamese mauser and brng. 1886 lightweight may not be safe in a revolver (haven't had a chance to check on what level loads are safe in the bfr) and even if the level two loads are safe not sure that i'd want to touch one off in a revolver - they rock your world when shot in a shoulder held weapon!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried every powder and boolit/bullet there is in my BFR 45-70. I can tell you what shoots.
Hornady .458, 300 gr HP with 32.5 gr's of SR 4759, Federal 155 large pistol magnum primer.
I use a 317 gr cast with 31 gr's of 4759, Fed 155. Stay with the lighter boolits, they are more accurate. RCBS makes a dandy mold, 45-325-FN-U that should shoot great with 31.5 gr's of 4759. The Lyman 457122 looks good too and the Lee 457-340-F should shoot. LBT has a nice 300 gr.
I have cans and cans of powder I bought to try in the BFR, nothing has shot as clean, as accurately or as stable as 4759.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't be surprised if these loads are great in your rifles too, you might never use anything else once you try them.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, bfrshooter, I copied the thread for use later when I get back from Texas and have time to work on the bfr. Just so happens i have six lbs of 4759 on hand, so will start there.