Notify
Tools

GP100 7-shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Who has one? Thoughts?

I am wanting one to shoot steel targets at the range with and enjoy shooting it...(Unlike my .44 Alaskan). .357 with the 4" or 6" sounds like a good time and decent power.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a gp100 7 shot but like all ruger revolvers you are getting a lot of gun for the Money

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No experience with the seven-shooter, but I had one of the earlier six-shooters with the six-inch barrel and found it very pleasant at the range. With the heavier loads, I much prefer a six to a four-inch barrel in a .357.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with the 7 shot but I have the 6 shot 3" stainless.

Love it, they are built like a tank.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Well I couldn't stand it and did some trading into a brand new 7 shot GP100 with the 4.2" barrel. I'm really gonna like this thing...just waiting on the rain to stop so I can get out to the range. The trigger feels really good on it, and it has a bright fiber optic front sight. I may need to sit in the bow blind to try and bag a hog with it.

My dad has a Dan Wesson .357 with a 6" barrel and it was a lot of fun to shoot at silhouettes. Very accurate also.

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
I have the 7 shot GP100 with the 6' barrel. I really like the gun, found tuff strip makes 7shot strips. The front sight is fiber optic and is very nice but I wish it was a little smaller in diameter

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hi KWard -- I've now shot about 200 rounds through mine and I really like it. I only shot the Winchester white box ammo but the fiber optic front sight is found a lot faster than the plain black sights. I haven't gotten the accuracy from it as I have from my 45LC blackhawk but it could have been a number of reasons why that was.

I may end up getting rid of the traditional sights on my new model blackhawk .45acp/.45LC to the $70ish dollar fiber optic sights that Ruger sells. I don't want to lose how the gun looks right now but they are just a lot easier sights to use...so I think it will be worth it. This summer I am going to take it one evening after our hog population.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Ruger revolvers. They are nearly indestructible. If there is one weakness they usually have, it's the trigger pull. Glad to see yours is good. As far as a front optic sight, they are my favorite, along with a blacked out rear sight, preferably a v-notch.

I absolutely hate 3 dot sights on a handgun. The two rear dots are just distracting to me.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote