THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Any thoughts on a 3 MOA reflex sight for inside of 100 yards

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any thoughts on a 3 MOA reflex sight for inside of 100 yards
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Am putting together a 45 LC on a Stanliess Blackhawk. Was considering a 3 MOA reflex sight.

Comments, recommendations, thoughts?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try one at all times of day.

I find in poor light one tends to only see the dot.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Meaning you can't see the game animal?

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, make sure you get one where you can adjust the intensity of the light. In fading light conditions, your eye adjusts to the brightness of the dot, making everything else too dark to see.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meaning you can't see the game animal?

Correct.

With out magnification all you see is the dot.

There is no light gathering ability.

I tried to shoot a doe with my 460S@W it has a vortex dot on it.

The last few minute's of shooting time.

I could plainly see the deer with the naked eye about 100 yards away..

Brought the pistol up all I could see was the dot.

Would have been a easy shot with a conventional
scope.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Although a rifle, that is another reason that I like the "Scout" concept. Both eyes open, one on the target in the scope + one open to take in the whole picture. Plus, it's incredibly fast. Similar concept, in a way.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I can think of no better plan, than you setting the revolver up that way, testing it on paper and posting your results.

25, 50 and 100 yards or so depending on your comfortable shooting distance will prove to you and show us what that combo can do.

I say this, not to be a "horses pitotie" but as someone interested in seeing the results

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well by God TC Louis, I will need to accept the challenge.

Just one question am I allowed to shoot the groups @ fifteen yards but say it was fifty? Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
SURE you can.

It has been known to be done on the net as I understand it.

Only you, a piece of paper and a few electrons forming bits and bytes will ever know!

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just one question am I allowed to shoot the groups @ fifteen yards but say it was fifty?

Just call yourself a gun writer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For deer size critters or larger and up to 100 yards I would go with a 4-6 MOA dot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe - very much respect your posts, why? seems to big to me

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run a 3 MOA on my Ruger mk3 22 and a 4MOA gong isn’t safe at 100m.
It is a Trijicon RMR that was replaced by an adjustable intensity RMR on my 416 to take control in those low light situations of the flare problem.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Own a couple of Burris Fast Fire 3's (3 moa dot) and while acceptable the dot is to small and I am slow to pick it up. The small dot is nice when shooting for groups, sighting in, and mounted on a rimfire for small game. But for deer size and larger critters up to 100 yards IMO a 4, 6, or even 8 would works better. Using a dot on a handgun is way different than a rifle. A rifle is picked up and shouldered and everything usually lines right up. A handgun is different. It takes a little finesse to find the dot and a larger dot is easier to find.
I think most hunters initially think a smaller dot makes for a more accurate set up (I did) but the larger dots are easier to use and just as accurate on medium game.
Full disclourse, I do not currently own anything bigger than a 3 but will not buy another that small. If they make one with an adjustable dot that would be ideal. All my comments are based on using dots on handguns.
Randy

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Randy

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Acro 3.5 moa is getting issued to all of our street guys. I ran 100s of rounds during the transition course last week and make off hand hits easy at 50. The dot is also great for speed (it’s intended for moving people in varied light conditions). I agree with the comments earlier that red dots lack the light gathering ability of scopes so you will lose the ability to pick up critters at dusk that you could find in a scope (hence the reason weapon mounted lights are used by mil/LE running dots).

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 21 April 2021Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think for hunting a 3moa dot is fine. Anything bigger and you will have issues at longer range and in lower light. The key I have found is adjusting the dot a low as you can to reduce washing out the target.

Posts: 57 | Location: Belton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I got a Burris Fastfire 3 moa reflex for a .41 Redhawk a little while back and still have not mounted it. I was thinking that I would use the top of the dot at maybe 25yds and maybe the bottom of the dot at 100yds. Just me thinking too much probably because the eye just wants to center the dot but I think it is possible.

Not sure I have what I need to mount mine correctly yet. Has anyone put a relfex on a Redhawk?

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mike and Louis

Please keep us apprised on the success of your project.

Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reflex sights can be super accurate. This group was shot at 100 yards using a Freedom Arms 252 with a 1" Ultradot.

I currently have a Burris FastFire III on my 45LC.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Mike and Louis

Please update posts with results this season, if you do carry a pistola with one of the dots to the field

Challenge your limits

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Will do - 1st hunt will be pigs in the May

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
We gotta wait 'til May ...?
Frowner

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, not here in Texas you don't! Smiler

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Well I've been carrying a Redhawk SS in .41 with the Burris Fastfire on it and I do like it on the bench. I have not tried it on a deer yet but think it is just what I wanted for 100 yds and less. It will get some blood drawn in the next couple of weeks as I am gonna thin the does around here a bunch.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
I have two delta point pro 2.5 MOA now and third is on the way. I’m not able to get the dot on target as quickly as I can irons but it’s getting better with use.
https://i.postimg.cc/zDngDdmz/...8-799058-F38-CBC.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ZKNVmkZw/...B-46832-B79-EFAC.jpg

Posts: 30 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JamesStambough:
I have two delta point pro 2.5 MOA now and third is on the way. I’m not able to get the dot on target as quickly as I can irons but it’s getting better with use.
https://i.postimg.cc/zDngDdmz/...8-799058-F38-CBC.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ZKNVmkZw/...B-46832-B79-EFAC.jpg

My experience as well, I think in the long run a dot helps improves my accuracy and is a better choice for a handgun. It seems to take a lot of training to bring the revolver up and find the dot as quickly as stock iron sights. But once my eyes see the dot on the target/animal it is a deadlier combination.