New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra Dot sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have noticed that many of you use Ultra Dots with good results. I'm just curious which models you are using. I'm thinking about putting one on my 45-70 BFR.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultra dots are used by target shooters because the dot does not lose its shape when you increase the intensity, and the dot is small. I am not sure about their reputation for withstanding high recoil.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I bought mine, I called Magnum Research and they told me the Ultra Dot is one of the few that would stand up to the recoil of the .475. I now have two, one on the 45-70 also and have not had a single problem. My tightest groups have been shot with them and many deer have fallen with them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I also use the Aimpoints....I was told Smith/Wesson has one on a 500 Smith testgun with over 5000 test rounds fired,still working fine! Mine has several hundred heavy loads ,no problems and now its on the 50/110 and so far,so good!
quote:
Originally posted by collegekidandy:
I have noticed that many of you use Ultra Dots with good results. I'm just curious which models you are using. I'm thinking about putting one on my 45-70 BFR.

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoints are great and I considered some until I seen the prices. Tough to do when retired.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat.

At the last weekend's gunshow I picked up a 460 S&W with Ultra Dot. As I had never heard of it before I was wondering how well they stand up to recoil.

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If not mistaken, I think Ultra Dot was the first red dot. They stand up great and after over 1000 rounds each on my .475 and 45-70 BFR's they are still dead on and I have had Zero problems. My tightest groups have been shot with them.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I use the Ultra-dot match-dot. I have one on my 500 Mag BFR and one on a S&W 460 Mag. Works great with over 2000 rounds fired in the 500 Mag. I have blow out, Bushnell's, Millet, Aim-point and Leupold Gilmore on my 500 Mag. The Ultra dot is the only one I found that will held up.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. The Ultra Dots look like an amazing deal for being so tough. It almost seems to good to be true.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good news about the Ultra Dot! I can't wait to try mine out.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.ultradotwest.com. I think they are cheaper and shipping is fast and free.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
GOOD INFO! THANKS!
quote:
Originally posted by nugman:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Clink on link. Scroll down to:
"tools of the trade">"facts about red dots".

Should answer some of your questions.

One source:
http://www.larrysguns.com/ultradot.asp

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that good info.

Herb