THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Buffalo Bore 10mm: Hard Cast vs. "Mono-Metal"

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Bore 10mm: Hard Cast vs. "Mono-Metal"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I just purchased the Glock 40 MOS that Bill/Oregon had listed for sale. I'm planning to buy some heavy hunting ammo from Buffalo Bore, and am trying to decide between these two.....

220 gr. Outdoorsman Hard Cast

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...product_detail&p=394

190 gr. Dangerous Game Mono-Metal

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...product_detail&p=571

I emailed Buffalo Bore, and according to them, the 190 gr. was a recent design and will do "everything the 220 gr. hard cast will do". I suspect it will do well....I'm just a little concerned about the meplat being substantially smaller than the 220's.

What are you guys' thoughts on the matter? Do you think the narrower meplat will result in less penetration? Or worse....a wound channel that isn't straight?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience says that the lighter monometal will penetrate more (less upset, higher velocity), but the wider meplat on the hard cast should penetrate straighter and with a wider wound channel. Both should work, I'd use the more accurate of the two.

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Might want to try both in your gun. Some Glocks don't like the 220 gr. They would keyhole at 10 plus yards. That gun might love them.

Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I would try the lighter one in the 10MM. I have a 41 Mag but haven't killed anything with it yet so no bullet performance. I am pretty sure I have hard cast WFNs. We carried 185 gr HPs in G22s on duty for corrections transportation. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one will do just fine.

Shoot and carry the one you like the best for what ever reason.

Buffalo bore and my hand loads 180's in my Glock 24 40S@W get 1130fps.

I carry 165s jhps for just normal every day.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do not recommend (Glock Factory) shooting hard cast in their barrels. Something to do with the Polygonal rifling they come with. No idea about the issue??
If you had any concerns (wolf replacement barrels are relatively inexpensive).

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No idea about the issue??

The so called issue is/was one or two people let the lead build up in the barrels so bad.

That it raised the pressure levels to the point of failure.

I have shot many thousands of rounds of cast bullets in 9mm and 40S@W Glocks

With out issue I just make sure I clean the barrel after I shoot any cast bullets in them.

I don't think any manufacture out there warrantees any of their fire arms with/for reloads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 50 GI top on the other Block 21. Both barrels are conventional rifling and don't lead up for me.

Glock Polygonal rifling is far smoother than most conventional rifling. So smooth that one can not get any marks for ballistic comparison.

Glock offers a service to PD's to mark their barrels so they can find out what gun fired what bullet.

I idea that a smoother bore would lead faster is ridiculous.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of their rifling V/S ball. comp. Admirable for Glock to help out the P.D. Admittedly, it was most likely for P.R., but, hey, take any help where you can get it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Admittedly, it was most likely for P.R., but, hey, take any help where you can get it.

The first dept. to ask for it was Miami Fl.

They had a shooting involving 5 or 6 officers.

Suspect only had a few bullets in him compared to the amount fired.

All the officers shot.

They could not match up who's bullets were in the suspects body and from who's gun.

So the story goes they asked Glock to mark the barrels.

At least that what I was told by the Glock Rep. and Glock armorer Instructor. At one of my Last Armorer classes.

When they told us that option was available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its new and your getting a lot of guess and by gosh, time will tell, I suggest you buy a couple of hundred of each and test them yourself, thats the only way you can answer your question and know which is best, let us know if you don't mind...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I came back to this. Ray has the ticket for success. Two hundred of each would be a statistically proper study it seems to me. Barrel and all will be better broken in. I don't think it is possible to break a Block that way. They ARE made to shoot and shoot. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
I came back to this. Ray has the ticket for success. Two hundred of each would be a statistically proper study it seems to me. And the gun would be broken. Barrel and all will be better broken in. I don't think it is possible to break a Block that way. They ARE made to shoot and shoot. Be Well, Packy.

I gave up testing on my own.

Just check out you tube and you well find someone that has done it all ready.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to set my Glock 10mm up for hogs so I shot some 180 gr. hard cast bullets. They shot good at lower velocities but the faster I pushed them the worse they shot. Not so in my Kimber 1911 so i don't think it is the bullet. 200 gr. XTP bullets shoot well at max. velocity so that's what I went with. Only shot one small hog and it was just a finishing shot so no real experience yet. May just be my particular gun.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Bore used to have info on their website about using a heavier spring in a stock Glock 20 for the 220 grain hard cast in a 10 mm. Stock barrel and heavier spring works well in my Glock 20. After-market barrels that several of my buds use have been spotty on reliability. Pretty popular combo up here in Alaska.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I handload a 200gr cast bullet that's powder coated over a near max charge of blue dot. The Glock seems to like that bullet as does my AR pistol and my Kimber.

I tried the Double Tap 220gr several years ago in my Kimber and I decided I prefer the 200gr. I bought a mold that is very close to the one they use for their loaded ammo.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will probably get hammered for this but I see the 10MM as neither fish nor fowl..I prefer the 9mm or or the 45, and those years of being proven..but I am a curmudgeon, deal with it or not, thats my story and Im stick'en with it! hammering sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you just like the 45 ACP because the pistol they designed to shoot it was released on your birthday...1911 :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I will probably get hammered for this but I see the 10MM as neither fish nor fowl..I prefer the 9mm or or the 45, and those years of being proven..but I am a curmudgeon, deal with it or not, thats my story and Im stick'en with it! hammering sofa

One could say the same about the 41mag.

Why when you have the .357 and the 44.

The 10 gives a useful velocity increase with in it's bullet weights.