Find
Notify
Tools

4" .500sw hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I have came across a deal on a 4" S&W .500 and am curious what velocity/energy loss there would be compared to the 7" and 10" models...or any experience with one of these?

I have shot the larger models with a Burris scope and Eotech...and the non compensated 2.5?" .500. But the short barrel makes me think the original intention may have been bear medicine or back up for a rifle.

The handgun comes with the lead and jacketed compensators....box.. speedloaders (lol)...and two sets of grips. I haven't had a hunting handgun since I sold my SRH .454 Casull and my SBH in .44.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a giraffe and a lion with my S&W 500. Longer barrel, but the 500-grain Hornady seemed to work just fine out of a shorter barrel that ny nephew carried. At ranges up to 75 yards, the 500 is still moving fast enough to penetrate 14 inches of lion.

You'll enjoy the 4-inch.
...Tad loud, though!

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am think some where around a 50fps lost per inch would be really common.

They are a handful for sure if it is a really great deal buy it I would.

As far as using them for hunting they well kill a lot of things a big bullet going fairly fast works well. The shorter site picture would be more of a concern if not using optics then barrel length for me.

I shot them but even the 4 inchers are heavier then I like for bear defense.

I prefer smaller and lighter guns for those purposes my self.

I am torn between more power, lighter and control ability.

Rounds on target is what counts.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just beware that 4" revolvers recoil a little more violently than longer barrels, therefore making them a little less accurate than longer barrels.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnn
posted Hide Post
I have the 8 3/8" version and with full house loads and bullets, cast or jacketed, in the 400gr-500gr range, I have found the 500 has the ability to inflict pain, at both ends.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnn:
I have the 8 3/8" version and with full house loads and bullets, cast or jacketed, in the 400gr-500gr range, I have found the 500 has the ability to inflict pain, at both ends.

That is why I am a hand loader I do not have to use full house loads.

Loads with a bit lower velocity still kills well and are not so hard on the shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the 4” barrel, your ability to properly “place” your bullets is the limiting factor. Whatever range your capable of putting the bullet where needed.....the 500 will get the job done ( with the proper bullet)!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably wouldn't be too hard to put a longer barrel on it.
700 grains at 1200 fps actually sounds like a pretty good combination to me your still ahead of the 45-70.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 4" model will fit on your belt in a holster unlike the longer barreled models. As for how much velocity loss, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
On revolvers, barrel cylinder gap plays a large role in velocity. The tighter the gap the more velocity as less is "vented" elsewhere.
Many years ago, I had a 7.5" Redhawk in 44 and a family friend had the 5.5" model. With the same exact loads, his 5.5" would consistently produce 100 fps MORE than the 7.5" model.
At the time so many years ago, I didn't put all dots together, likely his had a much closer cylinder gap and probably tighter chamber dimensions which would account for the difference.
The 4 inch model 500 S&W I played with had a terrible barrel cylinder gap. Loads were tailored for the owner with a 410 grain Keith type bullet at 1075 fps from the gun. It was very manageable to shoot.
Pick a load it likes, that you can shoot well, as a 1/2" bullet gets there "pre-expanded" with plenty of mass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many years ago, I had a 7.5" Redhawk in 44 and a family friend had the 5.5" model. With the same exact loads, his 5.5" would consistently produce 100 fps MORE than the 7.5" model.

My 5.5 out preformed my 3 7.5s also.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I passed on the 4" .500 Smith and got a new 5.5" SRH 454 Casull. I sold my 7.5" one years ago and kind of regretted it. This one is the Talo limited edition one...Toklat model. dancing . Balances very well in your hand

Now I have a .454 Casull and a .38 Super to take to the range this weekend nilly

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
got a new 5.5" SRH 454 Casull

That well work fine

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

The 4" .500 SW was $900 cash. The Toklat was the same price but almost 12oz lighter weight. I could not get past how heavy and awkward the .500 felt in my hands. Maybe because the X Frame is so large?

Either way I will be able to contribute more to the handgun hunting forum on here again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The X frames are heavy and big they have to be.

My 460 BFR is big and heavy I see it as a hunting arm only. I wouldn't carry it just for self-defense

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are far happier with the Redhawk. It's a great choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I.like those Ruger 454 I have two of them with 7.5 inch barrels I wanted 9.5 inch .They are tough pistols I.have mine hell in.Alaska 12-years made an awesome top flap holster for them .They were my Alaska life insurance policy!

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
He is down to $800 for the Smith...I may end up having both after it's all said and done... Whistling

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
They can be loaded with a 400+ gr boolit @ 1250 fps and are actually fun to shoot.
But, the same bullet at 1500+ fps is just no fun at all. On my hands OR my ears.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting the four inch with a 450 at 1150. Made a chest holster that carries it nicely. In the process of making a muzzle brake without the damn holes.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have 4, 3.5 ,6.5 ,7.5, and 8 3/8 inch 500's as far as velocity goes I chronograph them years ago (except 3.5 inch, didn't have it at the time I did all the chrono work on it) and if memory services me I lost about 32 fps per inch on average between the 4 inch and the 8 3/8 inch. I was shooting Barnes 375 grain bullet.

450ak years ago I found someone on the web that was selling muzzle brakes without the hole bought one and it makes shooting the 500 a lot easier on the shooter (no muzzle blast) at least for me. If you ever make them and want to sell them let me know I would like another one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A muzzle brake without holes? Isn't that just a barrel extension? I don't get it.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Wow. I was just communicating with someone about barreling a Ruger No. 1 in 500 S&W.

Frankly, if you want the portability and lower weight of the short barreled version you will have to give up SOMETHING! Think velocity, skin, brain cells.

Watch this video and listen to the comments he makes. Remember, shooting pistols is what this guy does day in and day out. Pay special attention to what happens to his arms in the slow motion spots. Notice where he had to place his thumb. Look at his face!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
A muzzle brake without holes?
Every muzzle device has at least one hole. Wink

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that video. Amazing!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it done!!! Much more pleasant to shoot with less blast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always want to have a 500S@W to shoot my HR218 qualification with.

My fellow retired LEOs are impressed that I shoot it with my 7.5 inch 44 redhawk.

Shooting it with the 500 would blow them away.

It would take some serious down loading there is no way I could shoot 46 rounds of full power loads over about 15 minutes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Huntington will do the Ruger double action revolver in 5-shot 475, 480, or 500JRH.
The interest in double action is understandable,
If you consider single action, you should know that his special grip frame design completely handles the issues of these hard recoiling cartridges.

He just returned from South Africa, where he took Cape Buffalo up close with his iron sighted 5-shot 500JRH revolver.
It's definitely enough gun, and the revolvers built on Ruger single and double action frames are lighter and much more handy than the big X-Frame guns.

Something to consider.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
OR my ears.

My Redhawk .454 2.5 inch barrel is an ear splitter; I can't imagine shooting it without hearing protection.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Redhawk .454 2.5 inch barrel is an ear splitter; I can't imagine shooting it without hearing protection.

I feel the same about my 4 inch ported 41mag. let alone a 2.5 inch 454.

Funny thing when I have shot a couple of wounded bears with it.

I don't remember hearing it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. When in the moment be it rifle or pistol one never hears the sound nor feel the recoil. (unless it is constant firing;which I only did once in sport as a whole flock of turkeys took to panicked flight + I emptied my Ruger bolt in 260. Got 2 in flight as well.)I figured 2 out of 5 ain't bad concerning birds in flight using a bolt rifle.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I agree completely. When in the moment be it rifle or pistol one never hears the sound nor feel the recoil. (unless it is constant firing;which I only did once in sport as a whole flock of turkeys took to panicked flight + I emptied my Ruger bolt in 260. Got 2 in flight as well.)I figured 2 out of 5 ain't bad concerning birds in flight using a bolt rifle.

I head shot a tom out of the air once with a 173 gr bullet from a 7x57R out of my combo gun when I pulled the wrong trigger.

No lack of killing power.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had one of the 4" 500s since just after they were released...it was used...and had one chamber that had been fired....

Have settled on the 350 grain class of bullet...more than enough for what I need a 4" 500 to do...
Hornady XTP
Speer FP
Sierra JHP
Berry's Plated
Mold from NOE

18.0 grains of Unique runs the Berry's 1050 fps...great target and bowling pin load.

20.0 grains of Unique runs the jacketed bullets at 1230 fps

43.0 grain of H110 only increases the velocity to 1280 but will run 1800 fps in a 20" Encore Carbine...

One day if the money and bargain is right I would like to get one of the 8 3/8" guns with the same Comp as the 4"...

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
A long barrel seems to get the blast away from your face and hands and seems to mitigate some of the bluster of the bigger cannons. I think about the SRH I have and think about the 9.5" spare barrel rebored to 50 cal and all sent to JRH for a 5 shot 500 JRH. Be Well. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive been shooting the dot torture target with my 4” 500. Trail boss is my friend. Doesn’t feel as heavy or large any more . Although compared to my 69 it is big but so is the bullet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those hole blocker parts for my 4" 500. freedom475 out of Montana made them around 2012. Nice work.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought one of those comp blanks also...the recoil was a little more and the blast a little less...

Accuracy standing was about the same as with the comp in place but a funny thing happenened when I went to the sitting back rest position..the groups at least tripled in size.

What I think was happening was the gun was recoiling fast enough that the tail end of the bullet was getting hit by the very end of the barrel...that is all I can think of as when I put the comp back in the groups went right back to normal...have not used the comp since...

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote