THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Any 500 Linebaugh shooters out there?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 500 Linebaugh shooters out there?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I've got a hankering for a big bore. I've shot a few different 500's, and now am considering my own. I suppose the 450 gr LBT LFN mold I got also has something to do with it. My current plan is to get a ss bisley vaquero and have a 5 shot cylinder fit and 6" bull barrel. I haven't decided on whether to leave it w/ fixed sights for utter reliability in the field, or have the top strap milled for an adjustable rear.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Good afternoon, I'm going to send off a Bisley for 5 shot, .480 conversion. Without hands on experience, I've gotten the general impression that the .500 is just too much of a good thing, is out of proportion and can't achieve the penetration of a .45 or .475.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

I have a friend who is one of the more experienced big bore shooters in the country, I think he's gone through ~twenty 454's, and 5 five 500's. I've shot a few 500's, and they really aren't any worse then the 475, shot a few of those as well.

I think there is also a misconception about the penetration issue. The 50 does penetrate slightly less then the 475, but only slightly. If I get full penetration with the 500, for a given weight of bullet, what benefit is their in going to a smaller diameter? I have yet to hear of any condeming the 500 as lacking penetration on game.

The only real drawback to the 500 is it isn't a factory round as the 475/480 is. The other issue is there used to be a shortage of parent brass, and that is what caused the creation of the 475. If more folks had used the 500 in the fields, there just might not have been jump to the 475. BBA makes outstanding brass for the 500, and CH4D good dies, so it's a straight forward project.

<Matt77>
posted
Let me guess, that friend is Monte? He's a total big bore nut that would shoot a 105mm howitzer as long as it had a 4 inch barrel
He does know just about everything about handloading, shooting, building, etc.. he's a living guru.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Matt,

No, its Dennis, who posts as HHI 812. He doesn't post as much as Monte, and is the most rabid gun trader I know.

Monte is an interesting guy though, and I've shot his 475 and 500, the little 500 is a hoot.