New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freedom Arms Model 83
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally joined the Freedom Arms fraternity! It has been on the bucket list since they came out and at 55 years old I finally decided it was time for one. It is a Model 83 Premier Grade in .454 Casull with a Magnaported 7 1/2” barrel and a Leupold 2x scope. Can’t wait to try it out

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You're gonna love it. I cast up a bunch of 270 G. bullets for my preacher that should be real hog medicine. He got his in a trade from a young man who wanted an SKS + wanted to trade even. Obviously he did. Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great gun. I have one exactly like it, except I have a 2-6 Bushnell Elite scope on it.
It's my turkey gun. Killed 37 with it so far. Last year 2 gobblers- 21 1/2# & 19 1/2# at 129 and 68 yds.
Resighted it in this week for turkey/deer season.
Did an old Speer 260 gr. Mag HP (my turkey bullet), a newer Speer 260 gr. HP, and a 250 gr. Win. Platinum at 100. Group size 3/4"!!! That's what you can expect (maybe with a more powerful scope.
You made a good choice.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I always wanted FA 83 in 454. Expensive revolvers, but here, in Europe, they cost 50 % more or so than in USA. It is too much . . .

https://www.theduke.de/produkt...volver/freedom-arms/

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a scope, the 454 is much easier to shoot with full-house loads. I used one as my Texas hog-hunting revolver.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an FA in 457 Linebaugh. Wonderful gun!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m envious and have also wanted one for a long time. Thinking of some of the handguns I’ve bought and just sit on the shelf, often duplicative self-defense guns, when I would have used this more. Speaking of duplicative, this is a whole different class than my 629 Classic Hunter with 8 3/8” .44, right?

I will have to copy cat…

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never really paid much attention to FA until good friend showed me two he had. A 41 mag and a 45 colt.
Amazed at the quality, fit and finish.
Not certain I have ever witnessed better in a sidearm.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
They have gone up since I first drooled over them as a young guy when they could be had for $1,250-1,500. Did the death of Mr. Casull have anything to do with that, or am I in good ole days mode?

Still, I’m sure they are worth every penny and on the prowl.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick pic on the way home from the dealer

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's an exact copy of my first FA, down to the wood grips, 7 1/2" bbl, Leupold scope and Magnaporting. My 2nd one was a 6" Premier with black Micarta grips.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC, if you use the V bag off the front of a rifle rest, place it on a piece of 2x4 on a shooting bench to raise it up a bit, and snug the revolver down into the rest, you'll be surprised what kind of groups you can shoot at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one seriously nice revolver!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did get to shoot it the other day with some full power factory loads. I caught myself giggling every time I fired it. I understand the attraction now. I should have got one a long time ago. It is awesome holding all that power in a finely tuned gun. I am sending the grip frame to Chig’s Grips to fit this piece of Exhibition Desert Ironwood to it

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had to buy one, but it’s just a Field Grade 7.5” without scope or porting. We will see.

Where have you found ammunition for a decent price?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus, if you reload I could cast you up some of the 270 G. bullets that I did for my preacher.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sir, I thank you for the offer. I don’t reload rifle or handgun ammunition. I did have fun reloading 20 gauge shells with my father while he was watching golf.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time to test rifle and pistol loads for accuracy in Dallas. DGC is 30 plus minutes away and if the load doesn’t work, well…

I will get into it later.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some factory loads online just so I could shoot it but don’t remember where I hit them. I am gathering components and need to pick out a mold to cast some bullets. Norman Conquest I sent you a PM