THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    DIY chest holster for Glock M40

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY chest holster for Glock M40
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted

I've made a dozen or so holsters over the years and it isn't rocket science. Here are the working patterns. The back piece will be of heavy 10-12-ounce skirting leather, while the wet-molded front piece will be of 6-8 ounce -- all of this oak tanned of course. I will make the shoulder strap of 2-inch wide elastic webbing, and the abdominal strap of 1 1/2-inch elastic webbing. The bottom one-inch strap will be of leather, and will attach to my belt. This will anchor the holster firmly against the friction of the draw.
Will post when I get this thing under way.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Did you use the handgun to make the patterns. I'm about half way thru making a full flap strong side belt holster for mu SRH 480. I'm big on full flap holsters .
I reciently turned an accidental cross draw holster for my G20 into a chest holster. Mainly to see if I liked that carry option. I found that I do so I'll put the work into a chest holster. I water and clamp form the leather . I like 10-12 oz saddle skirting leather for the backer and 8oz oil tanned top face. . For belt holsters , I do a full wrap with integral belt loop. The flap I sew onto the belt loop with a single row of wide spaced double needle stiches. Full flap with a big full coverage flap. Its the only thing I've found that will keep the rain , snow , needles , mud ect. Out.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CTF, yes, used the G40 for the pattern. I agree on full flaps in wet, brushy terrain. I have the leather cut out and did the wet molding, but may need to tweak this design. Will certainly add a strap. Heavy horsehide for the back piece and 5-ounce oak tanned cowhide for the molded layer. It is cut to allow mounting a Vortex Venom reflex sight.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang Photobucket. Dunno what happened to the link.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Do you buy your leather locally or order it?

Tandy is the only local source and they have scraps (that they are) an whole or half hides.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know why , but I havent been able to upload and pics onto pbucket lately. Which really sucks .
I've got the flap sewn on and the belt loop sewn, and most of the holes punched for sewing the holster for my 480 together. Hopefully I'll have it sewn together today. Where all my sewing joints are I rub in lots of rendered bear fat. It is the best boot gresse I've ever found. After the wet molding this leather needs all the help it can get imo for longevity. The body of this one I'm building now is 10-12 oz veg tanned saddle skirting. And the flap is rough out 6 oz oil tanned. I think I'll do a double snap again.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Do you buy your leather locally or order it?

Tandy is the only local source and they have scraps (that they are) an whole or half hides.

TC; I learned alot of what I know from my Pastor. Every Saturday morning we have leather and other crafts at our church. A big breakfast then people start on their projects. Pretty common for there are alot more people there than in church on Sunday morning. And more people that dont go to church or go to some other church than that come to ours.
Pastor is a true leather craftsman and dare I say artist. His work is precision , strong , and beautiful.
He was taught leather work by his uncle who made All his own leather goods including his boots.
Anyway, he goes into the Tandy store in Anchorage and comes back with a back seat full of whole and half hides a few times a year. He also scrounges eBay for all kinds of leather working goods and hides and stuff. I get most of my leather from the scrap table, unless I'm making a big project like a loggers climbing belt or something else thats big. Then I buy a half hide from him.
I wanted to make the holster for my 480 from 10 oz latigo but he didn't have any instock.
If you buy half or whole hides from Tandy, its a good idea to roll them out and examine both sides very well. Sometimes the skinners and fleshers get a bit carried away with their knives. It sucks to have my cardboard pattern all cut out and laid out on a hide , then turn the hide over and find a great big slice half way thru on the other side.
We use double needle on a single thread . And make the holes with an awl. I use a Head knife for most of my cutting and a utility knife for the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill; thats nice looking work !!
Have you used the Vortex Venom yet ? I'm thinking about trying one on my G20. Does your mount attach via the rear sight dovetail or do u need a milled slide ?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
TC, I bought my leather from Oregon Leatherworks in Eugene. Much more reasonable than a Tandy store.
CTF, my Venom just arrived and when I got ready to mount it on the Glock 40 MOS, I realized that the previous owner had misplaced the plates that accommodate the various reflex sites. So I have to call Glock today and order a set.
Hope you can get Photobucket to play nice. It was down again a couple of days ago. I generally rub in beeswax or Obenauf's and tickle with a heat gun once everything is done.
Frowner

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive got it almost done . Took some pics of it, tried to upload . Still wont . I think its this fon. Not enough memory room or sumthin.
I got after all the bends in the leather with Obenaufs. Then a few days later rendered black bear fat . Then the next day did the whole thing with White's boot oil. . Just my knee jerk reaction after wearing best quality leather cork boots for most of 30 years in a rain forest. LOTS of boot grease. I've found that Veg tanned leather will crack and tear if not greased up pretty good.
Funny, I've had that 480 for several months. But it wasnt until I started building a holster for it that I started getting interested in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got ready to mount it on the Glock 40 MOS,

I put a Trijicon RMR on my Glock 35 ran about a 1000 round through it trying to get use to the sight.

After many rounds and a ton of dry fire practice I just couldn't get use to the dot sight for up close and personnel.

At the longer distances it was nice and worked well.

I took it off and replaced it with a set of night sights.

On a hunting handgun it would be nice.

On a personnel defensive handgun at least for me it wasn't working out.

To many years, to many rounds and use of iron sights.

Here is a link you might be interested in

http://vb.opencarry.org/forums...g-out-a-Glock-35-MOS

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P Dog, I'm using the 10mm mostly as a hunting weapon, hence the Venom.
CTF: I used Hubbard's on my cork boots. Wore them three summers in high school helping cruise timber for what would become Redwoods National Park.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a hunting weapon it should be just fine I liked it at the longer ranges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
P Dog, I'm using the 10mm mostly as a hunting weapon, hence the Venom.
CTF: I used Hubbard's on my cork boots. Wore them three summers in high school helping cruise timber for what would become Redwoods National Park.

tu2

Bill; your one of the very few on here that actually knows what Corks are.
Even those that have seen Sometimes A Great Notion . It goes right over their heads. offtopic salute
P dog; I would like to try an optic on my Glock . As long as I could focus it to my eye I think one would help my shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
P dog; I would like to try an optic on my Glock . As long as I could focus it to my eye I think one would help my shooting.

I liked the RMR at the longer ranges worked well with or with out my glasses.

Just could not get the hang of it for close and fast. The reason I carry a handgun 99% of time is self-defense.

Have a dot on my 460 BFR can wack things out there with that. But it is really not a defensive pistol with its 10.5 inch barrel and around 4lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog; Thanks!
Bill; did you get your holster done ?
I finished the belt holster for my SRH. Made a 10 shot, belt slide flapped bandoler for the 480 . And just finished a pancake holster for the G20. I've had too much time on my hands !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had too much time on my hands !!

It has been cold up there.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
CTF, I should have it done today or tomorrow. The prototype worked well. I just screwed up a couple of things and then wrecked two covers trying to rivet-set an acorn finial. Switched to a Sam Browne stud from Tandy and all is well.
Will post photos.
Hear you about time on your hands. I am killing time waiting for back surgery through one of the longest, wettest winters on record here at the end of the Oregon Trail. More than 13 inches of rain in February alone. Average is 4.5. It is spitting snow this morning.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I've had too much time on my hands !!

It has been cold up there.

I'm waiting on a job interview. . Hoping to change careers, to get year round employment.
I've always had time on my hands OR money in my wallet. Very seldom both at the same time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is the belt holster I built for my 480 SRH

One of Us
posted Hide Post

How I do the flap/ belt loop . very secure to keep the barrel from wakn me in the leg when I walk. . Loop is big enough to accept a 3" wide Occidental Leather , leather tool belt.

Bill, sorry to hijack your thread. I needed a place to stash some pics while I had a good internet connection.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My stitching isn't perfect . But its strong. For a belt holster I prefer the body of the holster and the belt loop to be a mono piece of preferably latigo saddle skirting. 10-12 oz. For a heavy gun. This one is veg tanned cow hide. I like rough out also. And the flap I make from 6 oz oil tanned. Often I use different color and tanning methods. Double needle, single thread.
This holster got a good soaking of bear grease.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice work, CTF, and no hijack. I haven't been able to complete my holster due to a rotten chest cold and five income tax returns that need finishing.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taxes , yuk. This is the first year in a long time we have to pay. And Thats only because of ObummerCare .
I have spent the winter practicinf Recliner Therapy for my knees . So have had time on my hands . last week I finished up a 10 round , full flapped , belt .Cartridge holder for my 480. It kinda looks ugly but should work very well for decades of constant wear. I used a doubly layer of leather in the belt loop tunnel. And an oversized flap with 4 snaps . and made it long enough that if I want to load 440 gr .4" meplat boolits they will still fit and will be able to snap the flap. Sewing cartridge loops is kindof a long and drawn out affair.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Recliner therapy! I'll be in a similar boat after I have my laminectomy in early April.
Here is where I am at. Need to cut slots and sew in the web harness system, cut the hole in the strap to slip over the Sam Browne stud, then hit her with Obenauf's or beeswax.
This came out differently than what I started with, so I will field trial it and then see if I need to revisit the design for improvement.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lookin Good. !! Nice stitching. I just got back from 11 days of bison hunting . I packed my G20 SF in a full flap hip holster . I call it my work holster as I made it to take a 3+" tool belt. Veg tanned holster with an oil tanned oversize flap. If I'm not wearing a backpack , I west a leather belt with 2 knives , spare mag holster , 10 or 14 round rifle ammo flapped ammo carrier . And the handgun. I get everything situated and can wear it for 14 hours a day with no discomfort and actually forget its there.
My next project is to make a combined sheath that will hold the 4 knives I prefer and 1 hand saw . For field processing a big animal. I've been thinking of 1 for years now and never got around to making it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the chest holster that I rigged up. But as I was glassing all day it would have been far too much stuff on my chest. I tend to keep my shirt pockets full of fire starter and other things and a can of snoose on my suspenders in a flapped snoose can holster I made.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heh, funny how life gets in the way of best-laid plans. Since I last posted in this thread, Photobucket took all of us down, I got a surprise divorce and moved to New Mexico and I sold the Model 40 and all my 10 stuff. As of now, I have another Model 40 with a ZEV trigger and KKM barrel inbound, and I went over my beta version of the chest rig and started over after making some design changes. So I should have photos of the new rig to post here very shortly.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Here is where I am at this morning. One of the lessons of the beta version was to use a lot more leather for the top, molded half in order to have plenty left over after shaping the cased veg-tan leather over the handgun. It also helped to cut the pattern for the back half of the holster from a piece of plywood, to give a firm platform for molding the leather around the pistol and clamping it. Some of you may notice the odd treatment of the toe. This is open to allow the use of a 7-inch KKM barrel in a 6-inch slide. I think it will work fine, even if a bit unconventional.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Got her done. Glued with Barge, double-stitched with waxed linen, copper riveted in key places, Obenauf's rubbed in and harness restitched. I think it is going to be a swell holster, just based on wearing it around the house. It may not be pretty, but it's functional.

Hey, no wisecracks about the gut, guys.
hilbily

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer some type of restraining strap I could just see bending over in the salmon stream and having it plop into the water.

Over the years I have seen enough handguns hit the ground to know it can happen.

I saw a fellow officers week old python hit the black top and skid a lot of the finish off one side.

I was helping a officer search a vehicle and I came up with a model 60 S@W. The officer said that looks like mine sure enough it was.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P dog, my first design had provision for a strap and acorn finial. With this one, I raised the throat of the holster higher up the pistol and "boned in" the trigger guard depression. As a result, the pistol is a very, very snug fit. I can still add a strap if there is even the slightest hint the handgun is not perfectly secure.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
The more active one is the more important a restraining strap is.

Over time I think the holster well loosen up.

Avoiding a OH CRAP moment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those both look like nice practical holsters.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like those, fine job Bill.
Years ago I made a flap type for a Blackhawk.
Never liked that much leather.
Last year I had a notion and got it out. Folded the flap over my J frame and it made a perfect holster for it. So I cut it off and had the local leather shop sew it up. $7. Now it's in the box too--oh well!

I'm looking for a couple Hunter brand/style 7 1/2" revolver type. Had 6 guns stolen, 3 in these holsters. IF you have any in the unused box pm me and lets make a deal.

Thanks and apologies for the hijack.

Side story about straps. Back in '73 with a Blackhawk on, 6 loaded. After wading brush, butchering a deer, loading in the trunk, driving half mile, opening a gate, back in, out to close the gate. I looked down and it was full cock! That scared the pee outta me! Everytime I get one, the strap is changed to hold the hammer down, not the trigger. Trigger won't go off and shoot your leg unless it's cocked.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I won't wear a holster without a retention strap. 1 wrestling match over a gun is enough for a career.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote