THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Kimber Stainless Target II 10mm

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Stainless Target II 10mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any good??I have not had one in my hand and was wondering what they are worth and how is the quality.My Son had a Kimber Solo 9MM I was impressed with until I shot it.MY LC9 shot much better.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
If I was in the market for a 1911 in 10mm I would definitely look at the Dan Wesson models. I have one in 45 and the quality is excellent and very accurate.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are your standards? I have a Kimber 45acp. Target Match or whatever, which is a good Bullseye gun out to 25 yards but no use at 50. I also have a Kimber 9mm Target Match which after fitting a match barrel will shoot 2" groups at 50 yards from a Ransom rest.
My 10mm is an EAA Witness Elite which shoots very well.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
If I was in the market for a 1911 in 10mm I would definitely look at the Dan Wesson models. I have one in 45 and the quality is excellent and very accurate.

I'll agree with that. I've had a PM-7 10mm for 8 years now, it's my daily carry. Shoots very well. Very well put together gun.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one.

The good news:

1. It came with all its parts installed
2. When I squeeze the trigger it goes bang.
3. They included a bushing wrench in the box

The bad news:

1. Would not feed out of the box due to a crappy magazine. New magazines fixed that.

2. Needed a trigger job out of the box due to gritty, creepy 6# trigger. Trigger is now at 4.25# and consistent.

3. It is does not have enough spring out of the box for a 10mm. The slide gets pounded, you get pounded, and ejection falls in the "extremely positive" category. Bumping the recoil spring from 18.5# to 22#, the mainspring from a 23# to a 28#, and a new firing pin stop with minimal radius fixed that.

Swapping recoil springs every 500 rounds is required maintenance. Just a reminder: don't just bump the recoil spring up to 26# or 28# as you will pound the slide and frame from the other direction as it closes. Do both the mainspring and recoil spring, that mainspring increase does make a difference.

4. The barrel hood to slide fitting and the barrel to bushing fitting are terrible, and I do mean terrible. Each side of the hood has ~0.003" gap to it, for 0.006" total play. The bushing has a .0015" all the way around so there can be another .003" of slop there. The bushing to slide fit is loose enough for it to fall out when field stripping. The barrel link fit is okay, but with all the other slop the barrel seats itself all over the place after each shot.

It shot about as well as you would think a 1911 would with a Grand Canyon size slide to barrel fittings. Perhaps for a combat pistol this is okay, but for a something that says "Target" on the side...not in my book. For comparison sake, both my Glock 20s shot ~2" at 25 yard for 5 shots. The Kimber was around 4" at the same distance. Needless to say, the Kimber got a match Bar-Sto barrel, and now it shoots decently (inside 1 1/2" at 25 yards).

Conclusion:

You should look at other options unless you can do your own 1911 work i.e. know how to do a *safe* trigger job, and how to fit a barrel, bushing, and link to a slide. All told, it was ~$300 for new barrel, barrel bushing, firing pin stop, magazines, and springs. If I had to pay for someone else to do that work, add another $300 to that figure.

At the end of it, I still have a Kimber 10mm Target II which is probably worth (what someone would paid me for it) about what I paid for the pistol new. In other words, pay the $1,600 and get something decent. It will be worth closer to what you paid for it should you want to sell it at some point. You would probably get 30 LPI checkering at close to that price point as well.

Otherwise, if you just want a 10mm that will shoot ~2" groups out of the box, go bang every time you squeeze the trigger, feed without any issues, and durable as anything out there...get a Glock 20 or Glock 20SF for ~$575, spend $100 on a replacement set of sights (metal is way better than plastic for sights...someone should tell Glock), and put the rest of the cash into buying ammunition.

The only bad side to the Glock IMHO is how the stock barrels work brass. If you are going to reload and/or shoot lead bullets, you are going to need a new barrel with regular land/groove rifling and a chamber that isn't sloppy near the case head. Note I did not say *unsupported*, I said sloppy. You don't get Glock smiles with the 20 like the 22, you do get slightly ballooned brass though. You will understand what I mean when you resize them.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there are better options than Kimber. I do not sell Kimber in my gun store, I have sold many 10mm's of other brands. No complaints so far. Find one that fits your hand, go forth and burn up ammo.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,I will take a pass on the Kimber.I guess their handguns are no better than their rifles.All show and no go.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Olbiker,

That's a real good way to describe Kimbers!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with my Stainless Target model in 10MM. I picked it up in 2005 though so maybe some of the complaints are of newer runs.

I agree with the statement on the recoil spring not being enough for anything other than the weak factory loaded stuff that isn't much more than 40S&W.
Once I replaced the spring to a 20# it helped quite a bit. I tried the 22# but settled on the 20#.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll agreee on the Dan Wesson recommendation. I have a Dan Wesson Bruin 6 inch pistol for hunting and woods carry in 10mm. I have just under 600 rounds through it so far with zero malfunctions. Excellent fit & finish.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just read that Springfield will be making XD pistols in 10MM and also are thinking of a 10MM on an 1911 platform.I have an XD 9MM and 40 from them already and really like them.I also have a couple 1911A1`s that I have shot thousands of rounds through with no hassles.OB Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Sig P220 in 10MM. The P220 is pretty close to a 1911 style handgun without being a 1911.

I sure did like my friends P220 in 45ACP. It was quite accurate.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have just read that Springfield will be making XD pistols in 10MM

A long slide XD in 10mm would be nice I like my XDM 5.25

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EAA also makes a 10mm in their Hunter model. If this is for hunting I would also check into the availability of a mount for a reflex sight before choosing a gun.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the Sig 1911 Tacops in 10mm. I have had just about every model of 10mm pistols and revolvers. I had a Dan Wesson CBob and it was a great gun. The prices on DWs are getting crazy. The only one I have had problems with was a Rock Island Armory 1911. Here is my Sig:

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fine old thread. Bump to resurrect it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger has a 10mm out 1911 out now.

That would be my choice

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lost me at "kimber"

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the Sig TacOps I tried the Kimber Camp Guard and really wanted to like it since it is a bobtail but it didn't feed well so it went down the road so I added a Springfield RO Elite and a Fusion Pro-Series that I just paid off the layaway. It will be going back to Fusion to have it milled for a Holosun reflex sight and a bobtail.

Kimber Camp Guard

Springfield Armory RO Elite

Fusion Firearms Pro-Series

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A trio of mighty handsome 1911s you have there Pacecars.
I am on a beer budget, so I am looking closely at the Rock Island 10mms. I hear generally good reports.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I love 10mms as you can tell. I have only had one RIA and it was basically a single shot or when I got lucky it could double tap. I tried every brand of magazine that were known to feed well and still it jammed. I know I could have sent it back and they probably would have fixed it but someone wanted to buy it from me with full knowledge of the feeding issues. A friend of mine had the exact same pistol and it too would jam but it would sometimes go 4 shots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take a serious look at the Ruger 1911 10mm. I have not got one yet but have a couple of friends that have them and they have run flawlessly so far

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pace, I have heard good things about the Ruger, too. Had the Ruger Commander in .45 and it ran well with the right magazines.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Don't forget about the Sig 1911 Tacops in 10mm. I have had just about every model of 10mm pistols and revolvers. I had a Dan Wesson CBob and it was a great gun. The prices on DWs are getting crazy. The only one I have had problems with was a Rock Island Armory 1911. Here is my Sig:

I prefer my Sig to my Les Baer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two STIIs...one in .38 Super that I've had the since 2003 area and the other a 10mm about 4 years ago...

Complete story on the guns and how many different rounds they will now shoot is below...

http://singleactions.proboards...hread/24056/all-1911

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote