THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    400 or 420 gr. for Cape Buffalo in .480 Ruger?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 or 420 gr. for Cape Buffalo in .480 Ruger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ip address from my phone.came.up.as banned. Any idea why or what that means

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
None whatsoever. That is a DRG question once you get to a computer.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use punch bullets in my SW .500 and CEB solids in my desert eagle .50AE. I started off using factory ammo and hard cast bullets. They worked great but I felt there was more performance to be gained with the punch bullets when it comes to greater velocity/penetration. I shot a wild boar with my Smith and Wesson .500 right between the eyes with a 420 grain punch bullet and it traveled threw the skull and two feet down the spinal column before it stopped in tact.
My brother performed the same shot with a 540 grain garret hard cast bullet from a 45-70 rifle and the bullet deformed and never made it past the back of the skull. Both died but it was an interesting test of performance.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also used punch bullets on a bison and water buffalo to great effect. I will post pictures of the recovered bullet and animals on my next day off. If I went on a cape buffalo hunt I would only use punch bullets. If for what ever reason you need to shoot from an awkward angle with an animal that can do you harm there is no such thing as to much penetration. plus what a few extra bucks for added insurance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
steel--If you don't mind, what was the velocity of the 540 grain Garret out of the 45-70? Thanks.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1550 fps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since then my brother bought some punch bullets for his 45-70.