New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson Performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm interested in buying a Dan Wesson revolver because of its ability to swap out barrels of different lengths. This way I can carry one with a 4" barrel for backup while fishing and hunting and swap out the barrel for an 8" one for strictly handgun hunting. My question is have any of you bought one and fired .44 Magnum rounds through it? If so, how acccurately did it shoot em? I'm not really interested in the .445 Supermag caliber, I just want one that will accurately shoot .44 Magnum rounds. I emailed CZ/Dan Wesson yesterday asking them if they were going to manufacture revolvers chambered specifically for .44 Magnum and they responded back this morning with "not at this time". Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated, Thanks,

Sep

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 10" stainless model 744 .44 Mag. in the late 1980's or perhaps very early 1990's. It was adequately accurate, and like all DW .44's, a bit heavy-much heavier than a Smith or a Ruger SBH. I used it for a while Silhouette shooting, then sold it, and continued using SBH's One interesting characteristic with all the large frame DW's in those days is that they were extremely hard cocking. I don't know if the later Wessons or the new CZ's have that characteristic or not.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a 744 about the same time as Ken and it shot well. I sold it though and got a .445 SuperMag.

Most any .44 Mag revolver with a barrel length of 4 to 6" should serve you well for the uses you want it.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

posted Hide Post
I currently own a 744 and it is very accurate. It was purchased used and was very hard to cock but since the barrel can be removed, it can also become to close to the cylinder, this was the problem with mine and after buying the barrel wrench and adjusting the barrel cylinder gap it was quite easy to cock and now I just keep a check on the barrel nut to insure it is tight and have no problems. I only have the 8" barrel and have added a Pride Fowler 1.25x4 scope to it but it is a bit heavy. Was thinking of ordering a 6" barrel for off season carry but believe my RV with it's 4 5/8" barrel would be better and much lighter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 10" Dan Wesson out shoots my S&W 10 1/2" silouette model, 90 % of the time. It is very accurate. Being able to change barrel lengths was a good idea in the 80's and is still a great idea today. The Dan Wessons are a little bulkier than a S&W or a Ruger, but there are very accurate shooters.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have changed hands so many times you have to be careful. The real early ones were fantastic but they had periods when the guns were junk. I would expect any new ones to be very good if they make any. I would not buy a used one unless I could inspect it completely and shoot it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the replies. I'll probably wait til summer to see if CZ/Dan Wesson reintroduces their pistol packs in .44 magnum and if not, I'll buy an S&W 629 with a 6 1/2" ported barrel. Thanks, again,

Sep

Posts: 444 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are still a few NIB ones around, I believe. I bought a 744 w/6" barrel last spring. It was one of just a couple revolvers Garrett ammo recomended for their heaviest loads. I shoot 320 gr. hard cast at just over 1200 fps with mine. Because it is a big, heavy gun it handles heavy recoil well. In addition to changeable barrels, their system of attachment is said to be an asset to accuracy. I don't know how well mine shoots, but it is better than me. I have shot a number of 3" groups at 100 yds with open sights. I used it this fall to shoot a 22 3/16" black bear that was estimated by DOW to weigh around 500#. It has never been hard to cock, and a slightly gritty trigger has smoothed out with use. I found mine on Gunbroker.com, NIB. I am completely happy with this gun.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cobrad,
Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for some used ones. Thanks,

Sep

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a 744 8"VH, great revolver. I only wish I had gotten a pack so I could have a 4" bbl. as well. I used mine quite a bit for met.sil. matches. Amazing accuracy all the way out to 200m. On good days w/ open sights I could stay on a 12"sq. target.Eeker If you run across a 4"bbl. & shroud, drop me a note.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 7 Dan Wessons from .22 to .445 Supermag. I have 3 Of the Supermags they made.
My last hold out is a .414 Supermag hard to find.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson SS 44mag I bought used. After reaming the cylinder throats to the correct size the groups went from 12+ inches to 2- inches at 25 yards. It is a nice revolver but quite heavy especially with the 10 inch vent heavy shroud. Dan Wesson has made some very fine revolvers and many that should have been used for a boat anchor. There quality control seemed to be non existant. Good luck with your choice.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pistol pack in 357 that was purchased new in 1976 (came w. the sales receipt.) It's a wonderful gun -- I wish modern revolvers were still built this well, stock.

My suggestion would be do a bit of research, and try to find an older one, from a high quality era, in 44 mag.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a 445 for just 44 mag. As it is accurate but not near the 445 supermag in its designed gun. If all you want is a 44 mag then go look at gunsamerica or the like and get a nice used one. Lots of deals out there to be had and Dan Wesson doesn't hold its value well do to lots of different owners which is to your advantage. They are fantastic guns incredably strong and more accurate then 95% of the guns out there. I could go on but my 19 month old daughter doesn't want me on the puter any more. LOL

Best of luck Brian

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
445_supermag -- by your handle I can assume that you have one. Can you tell me what kind of ballistics you get from this round (.445)? I can't seem to find any info on the ballistics, and I'm very interested.

Sorry for the thread hi-jacking!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whitworth,

I love the gun first and formost. It is very accurate with most loads fired. For me so far it is most accurate with Barnes x 225gr going about 1776 FPS and about 1.5 to 2 inches at 60 yards.

Cast bullets of 320 GR at about 1450 fps and 300gr in the 1500 fps + range. Accuracy is so so but I need more reloading time. Best is about 3 inch groups at 60 or 70 yards. But I was mostly going for Speed and not accuracy so If I was and slowed them down I know I could do better in the accuracy department. For now and only now the lighter bullets show more accuracy for me but like I said the heavier ones when mostly shot for speed just to see where I can go. As for the interchangeable barrels its the best thing since sliced bread. The only down fall of the Dan wesson 445 is it should have a 5 shot cylinder. And if anyone says it would do anything they are NUTS. Look at John linebaugh he has a 6 inch custom 445 the shoots a 300 gr at 1700 fps and 240 at 2000 fps and that is smoking.

Let me know details that you want and I will see what I can answer.

Brian

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Brian. I think it would make a hell-of-a hunting cartridge, particularly with heavy bullets. Dan Wessons strike me as being very accurate from everything I have heard.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, yes they are very accurate. I am sure they are more than I can do. I used to talk to another DW 445 supermag shooter and he said if I was having trouble getting groups that its NOT the gun rotflmo but the goof ball behind it. Which I kind of agree with WIth the same loads I first started with I did ok with grouping but with the same loads shot after more practice my groups shrunk. So I know a lot of it is me but I am going to try to sand bag it better to see where I really am with regards to accuracy.

Brian

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
445_supermag:
Have you tried a scope to see if your group size would shrink?

I have the base and rings for my 10" DW SS 44mag but no scope at this time.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If any of you have trouble with the barrel nut, put a hose on the end of a funnel, put the hose in the forcing cone and pour boiling water through the barrel. The nut will turn right off. It is a good way to tighten the nut too and will give better accuracy. Just snug it when the barrel is hot.
Dan Wesson has had a lot of problems over the years but the design is great. Management can make or break a company.
My friend has a recent .45 auto and it is amazing. I shot a 1/2" group with it at 50 yd's.
It's sad that their reputation was tarnished by bad management, shooters are afraid of them now but I think the new owners are doing their best.
Some of the poor ones were very bad. I seen barrels screwed so crooked into the frames that you would need a 2" extension on the rear sight to hit a target. The front of the cylinders were so crooked, the gap would change with every rotation. I seen internal parts that did not work at all. There was such a vast difference between good and bad that I would be very careful buying an older one and would never buy sight unseen from the net. There are a lot of clunker, boat anchors around, along with some fantastic ones.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
swede. Yes I have it scoped. I have a burris 2x7. I know the gun can do more than I can at this point. Like I posed before I loaded up a bunch of 300gr CP at 1500fps and shot fair with them but with the same load after a lot of practice and trigger control they shrunk so I know its me. When I shoot at 25 yards most times I just make a big hole in the target then when I back up a bit they open up so ITs me behind the gun. Hey I may only be a 3 inch shooter at 100 yards now but with practice they will go down. I am figureing that with more practice I will do better. I am going to just start close like 30 to 40 yards and move back at 10 yards incremants till I hit a 100.

BFR. You are right with some of the older DW as they were like night and day. You could get a good one or a bad one.but I have to say that the new ones are awesome in every way. As for buying over the net I wouldnt buy any gun over the net for me personally. Except for the likes of a new Freedom arms 500 WE which I am drooling over. and a price tag of 3500.00. That is with everything I want as in brass dies case scope octagon 7.5 inch barrel. Its on my next to get list.

Best of luck

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/mrmichals/DW8.jpg
This is my Dan Wesson Kit and it shoots as accurate as these old eyes can see the sites. I'd part with it for the right price but, alas it is a .357 not a .44 mag.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MikeM that is a fine looking kit. Looks like really nice wood in those grips. I prefer a .44 for hunting, but with heavy cast bullet loads would still not hesitate to hunt big game with the .357. Nice gun.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote