Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot brightness?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Rather than keep stepping on MT's thread, I'll ask here. Are some brands of 3MOA red dots brighter than others, or is this a relative constant?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some brands feature adjustable brightness which comes in handy with changing light conditions.

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks MAH. I have talked with several users and some say they have found the red dots they have tried to be nearly worthless in bright sun in spite of brightness adjustments. Others report their red dots work fine in all light conditions.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Bill,

My Doctor Optic 3moa has different brightness settings that come in handy.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I think my RMR is a 3.25 dot size and it does well in sunlight. I think you need to test the real thing, precisely, that you want to buy. The better ones are expensive. What is the one Whitworth uses a lot of? They are a tube with dot inside. My memory doesn't do as well as I'd like. Ask him as they are on some of his really hard hitters. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Ultradot 30MM is what I was thinking earlier. Ask Whitworth if you want to talk to someone whom I know to have used it. It was on some heavy hitters if I remember correctly. Maybe our Moderator has used them. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brightness or lack of is exactly why I quit using my older Optima 2000 on my Ruger Mk II pistol. Works great in the shade.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, I had that same issue with an older Bushnell red dot -- only useful in the shade.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Following earlier threads on red dots, I put an Ultradot 30 on my Bisley SBH. I have no issues in bright light, the dot can be turned up plenty to compensate.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think my RMR is a 3.25 dot size and it does well in sunlight

The RMRs that I use are battery operated, have a 3.25 dot size and have worked exceptionally well for me. Big Grin tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looking at these again. I find I simply cannot see the factory rear sight on the SBH with enough clarity for hunting purposes.

– John Green, author