New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRH 454 Range Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hit the range on Friday to break in the SRH. Boy what a beast!

Started out with 45lc for a little bit, then stepped up to 335gr WLNGC 454 Casull. There was a huge difference in power, although no where near as bad as I thought. It's definitely not an all day shooting round, but it's something I could manage. The Hogue grips made a big difference, along with the weight of the gun in reducing felt recoil. This thing is such a tank, I can barely hold it steady for long. I need to start working out.

Out of box the SRH is super accurate- more than I can currently shoot unsurprisingly. Although it was my first time shooting a revolver in at least 2 years. I was shooting to the right a little, but consistently- which leads me to believe I need to work on my trigger control. At around 7-9 yards, my best was around 3'' groups. Not great- but I felt good about it considering my last experience with a revolver. I know for a fact I can easily bring it down. Shooting out to 25 yards, I was getting 6'' groups off hand with the open sights. I'm sure this is also something I could dial in with more practice.

The 45Colt was extremely pleasant to shoot, with little recoil- I could shoot this all day. These were HPR 250gr TMJ rounds, very accurate- and went where I pointed every time. I did notice a lot of flash between the cylinder and barrel with this round, if I remember correctly, this is normal? The front of the cylinder is also discolored now, although it doesn't bother me- it looks like heat burn. Doesn't come off with any scrubbing.

Stepping up to 454 Casull Grizzly Cartridge 335gr WLNGC, I immediately felt a huge difference in recoil. Gave my hand a bit of sting, but still manageable. It actually wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. It's not a round I can shoot all day by any means, but it's manageable.

Stepping up further to the Double Tap 400gr 454 Casull. These rounds were a big step up in felt recoil, so much so that I could only shoot 4 rounds before having to take a break. Considerable stinging in my hand without a glove- two days later and my hand is still sore. I'm confident my shooting will improve with a glove using this specific round. It was fun, and a big boomer. Definitely something to stay focused with.

My next trip to the range, I will bring a shooting bag to dial in the site. Two other people shot my SRH, both pulled to the right as well. Hoping to add a Ultradot 30 red dot sight in the future for hunting. Looking forward to hunting with this beast.

Video and a few photos to follow later today.

Posts: 25 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 28 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Vedak! Sounds like you are off to a great start. That 400 Grain Double Tap load is pretty serious business. I shot a wild hog with that load years ago, and it really did a lot of damage. We were able to gently tug one of the front legs off when we skinned it -- lots of damage.

I think you'll like the Ultradot 30. Keep us posted!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Whitworth.

I must admit that I am in love with this thing, might have been due to it being my first new firearm in a long time. But the SRH was a blast to shoot, I shot my Glock 22 little bit, but quickly forgot about it after picking up the revolver.

Everything being so robust really made me appreciate the gun. I'm a sucker for beefy tools, and this one is impressive.

The DT 400gr is a serious round for sure. Can't wait to try and hunt with it. The 335gr grizzly cartridge was a comfortable round, I can see myself using that one a lot once I get proficient enough with my accuracy to start hunting.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Me too. There is comfort in knowing that you really more than likely can't hurt an SRH. The one I have in .454 is one of the most accurate revolvers I havce ever had the pleasure of shooting.

Here is a picture of the hog carcass and the spot where the leg used to be -- courtesy of the Double Tap's 400 grain load.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is some damage for sure!

What weight range do you find yourself hunting with most for the 454?

Although it's early to say, I can't say enough how happy I am that I went with the 454 over a 44M. It's really not as bad as I pictured in my head.

Your book didn't help either, as it opened my eyes to so many beautiful revolvers out there. I also hadn't realized how easy it was to get custom work done. For some reason I had imagined extensive hunting for a good gunsmith, and going through a lot of loops to get it done.

I see many customized SRH in my future. One of which would likely be a 5.5 magna-ported variant.

Something that I may do myself- is smooth the serrations in a bit on the hammer. The outer corners where it begins are very sharp, and hurt my thumb when cocking back for SA shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some stills from video.
Glock 22

SRH

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
AT this point I can only dream. I have a 44 M SRH. But I think a 454 would be the minimum on my next one. Can always use the 45 LC like you did. Maybe a (training round) warmup. Could consider a 50 in a 5 round cylinder from Bowen. What does the SRH retail for these days Vedak?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
AT this point I can only dream. I have a 44 M SRH. But I think a 454 would be the minimum on my next one. Can always use the 45 LC like you did. Maybe a (training round) warmup. Could consider a 50 in a 5 round cylinder from Bowen. What does the SRH retail for these days Vedak?

Paid $827

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Could consider a 50 in a 5 round cylinder from Bowen.

Here is my .500 Linebaugh SRH by Huntington. It was accurate to the extreme and very effective from a terminal standpoint.

Nicely done, Vedak! Keep it up and keep us posted.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THERE'S an Alaskan sidearm! :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Whitworth, you always have the nicest revolvers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They both look like a blast, Wink I like the longer barrel for a hunting gun only for the longer sight radius. I believe if I were to do it I would have to go with the .480. Nice revolvers both of them.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
They both look like a blast, Wink I like the longer barrel for a hunting gun only for the longer sight radius. I believe if I were to do it I would have to go with the .480. Nice revolvers both of them.

Yes I'm thinking the same. I don't see this being my last SRH, and the .480 REALLY has my interest. However I'm also debating on a 45-70 BFR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dwheels, if you mount a red dot or similar sight then you won't need the longer sight radius gun.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Dwheels, if you mount a red dot or similar sight then you won't need the longer sight radius gun.
Peter

Exactly.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dhwheels, here is a picture of my 475 Linebaugh. It is VERY accurate out to 50 yards, where I have it sighted in.

Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered two Ultradot 30's from Optics planet. With 10% off, I paid only 144 for each. An excellent price if you ask me!

Didn't even need the second one, but for the price- I figured it would be worth it. Since I'm trying to decide on my next purchase being either a Super Blackhawk or BFR. Debating on whether or not the BFR is worth the extra cost. A lot of the comments I've seen on the BFR is 50/50 on quality.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I like BFRs a whole lot. The fit and finish isn't FA quality, but who cares when they shoot as well as they do. Most I have shot have been extremely accurate. They are well put together, have a premium barrel, and they are hell for strong. Great revolver!

Vedak -- that is a GREAT price for the Ultradot 30s! You've done well!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Whitworth.

I'm keeping my eye out for a 475 Linebaugh BFR. You spoken well of the caliber, and peaked my interest with the 480 ruger. The BFR happens to chamber both, so that will be on my watch list.
I must admit though, the stock grips on the BFR is quite hideous. But if it shoots as well as you say- that's what matters most. The second UD30 will be perfect for this.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
The rubber grip, though hideous, goes a long way to correcting the grip shape by giving it a more vertical and "Bisley-esque" profile (see photo). The best fix is the set of grip modifications Jack Huntington does to these grip frames. It's my favorite grip profile of them all. It's the best $325.00 you will spend which includes a custom set of grips made for your hand, which is not only functional but aesthetically pleasing as well.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea Whitworth. I keep forgetting how easy it is to send something off for custom work.

I plan to get some work done on the SRH as well.

You sure do a good job of convincing me I need more revolvers. Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vedak:
That's a great idea Whitworth. I keep forgetting how easy it is to send something off for custom work.

I plan to get some work done on the SRH as well.

You sure do a good job of convincing me I need more revolvers. Big Grin

Haha! Glad I can "help!" Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is recoil on the 475 vs 454 Whitworth?

I loved my SRH with 335gr, stepping up to 400gr though it was really rough. Although I'm sure it's something I can adjust to with more practice, as this is my first experience with 454.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the Ultradots, still waiting on rings from Ruger.
Must be delays from the holidays and new years.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Keep us posted!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rings finally came in!
Can't wait to get it sighted in, I got my first hunters license last week. Everything is falling into place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
since you are talking SRH what is one's opinion on Ruger's Tokalat? A 5" SRH in 454 Cas

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i love the toklat. great gun and prolly the best single all around gun out imho. for the 454 i like 300 to 325gr a frames, though the 250 barnes is a great bullet and hard to beat. for hardcast 335-360 is the perfect range.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vedak: Did you get a shift of impact when shooting with or without gloves? I do and it is noticeable, as in requiring a new sight setting.