Notify
Tools

S&W 629 Vs Ruger Redhawk
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
Smiths are machined from a solid hammer forged billet. Rugers are machined from an investment casting.

Do some reading on metallurgy to see the difference. Advantage to the hammer forged billet.

Thats why the Rugers are heavier.. compensating for the metallurgical weaknesses of a casting.

That being said, I own both, and enjoy them both. My Rugers get used far more than do my Smiths, but If I was gonna do something serious, I'd choose the Smiths.

and if you have a change at a S&W 625 for reasonable money, thats the one I'd go for..

Forgings are only directionally stronger. Rugers are heavier and beefier, but you will turn a Smith to junk with loads the Ruger will digest for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Here's some input from a Brit. Here in Europeland ALL firearms must be proof tested.

That involves firing in a revolver a greased cartridge through each cylinder. The cartridge is a deliberate 50% overload of the accepted CIP/SAAMI service pressure for the cartridge.

I have never heard of any S & W Model 29 or Model 629 fail. I have heard of Ruger Super Blackhawk Single Actions fail...usually one or more cylinders swell. I don't know about Ruger Redhawks.

Personally I consider the S & W frame characteristics, its cylinder release operation and its grip profile superior in function to any Ruger Redhawk. No gunsmith can alter those properties of any Ruger to make them equal to any S & W 'N' Frame.

Actually, Ruger proof tests every single firearm. Every revolver gets a cylinder full of high-pressure abuse. Smith & Wesson does not. Here is a pictures of one of the cabinets in the proof testing cell at the Ruger plant in New Hampshire.

Rugers are exponentially stronger. There are Ruger-only loadings in most loading manuals that would turn a Smith to rubble.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I owned a S&W 629 in .44 Mag. Great gun, but a little heavy for regular packing around IMO.

I sold it, and now carry a Taurus 44 Tracker in .44 Mag. It is a bitch to shoot, but a joy to carry.

I had some friends compare it to a S&W .460 Mag. They all agreed the Tracker had more felt recoil!

BH63

I don't run full house 44s in my tracker just like I don't run in my full house 357 in my 20oz 2.5 in 357.

Some things are just to much of a good thing.

I don't run full house 460's in my BFR. I know my tolerance level.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
Smiths are machined from a solid hammer forged billet. Rugers are machined from an investment casting.

Do some reading on metallurgy to see the difference. Advantage to the hammer forged billet.

Thats why the Rugers are heavier.. compensating for the metallurgical weaknesses of a casting.

That being said, I own both, and enjoy them both. My Rugers get used far more than do my Smiths, but If I was gonna do something serious, I'd choose the Smiths.

and if you have a change at a S&W 625 for reasonable money, thats the one I'd go for..

Forgings are only directionally stronger. Rugers are heavier and beefier, but you will turn a Smith to junk with loads the Ruger will digest for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I really like my S&W revolvers. But, the S&W 44's get moderate loads. Heavy loads are dedicated to the Rugers.
As much as I like my S&W's, I believe the Super Redhawk and Redhawk are just a more substantially built revolver for heavy use and sometimes non-planned abuse.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Since the original post was asking about a woods gun and not a dedicated hunting gun I would choose the Smith. Lighter, smaller, better trigger and more packable. It will work just fine.

I've had a model 29 for 25-30 years. I won't be trading it for anything else. Now I admit I don't care for Redhawks much, too clunky and terrible trigger for my taste though I admit they are a better platform for building a hunting gun. Yes I have owned one in the past. For me I'd choose a Blackhawk instead to hunt with.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
had to do a small amount of tinkering to get the SRH to be as pleasing in double action as the S&W

Ruger revolvers are some of the easiest to do trigger jobs on.

Smiths don't need a trigger job.

They ALL need trigger jobs, especially if the single-action pull is over two pounds.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can't believe we still have those who think that investment castings are inferior to forgings. And even if a Redhawk cylinder blew completely apart, that has nothing to do with castings; cylinders are machined from solid bar stock.
I own both makes; Rugers are much stronger and will last longer. Don't forget that the S&W is based on a design from the 19th Century.
But for carrying; yes the S&Ws are lighter.
True story; I had a friend blow a Ruger framed, 500 Linebaugh cylinder with some load experimenting; bent the top strap up 3/16th inch. I straightened the frame, put a new cylinder in it, and he is still shooting it today. Try that with a Smith.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I can't believe we still have those who think that investment castings are inferior to forgings. And even if a Redhawk cylinder blew completely apart, that has nothing to do with castings; cylinders are machined from solid bar stock.
I own both makes; Rugers are much stronger and will last longer. Don't forget that the S&W is based on a design from the 19th Century.
But for carrying; yes the S&Ws are lighter.
True story; I had a friend blow a Ruger framed, 500 Linebaugh cylinder with some load experimenting; bent the top strap up 3/16th inch. I straightened the frame, put a new cylinder in it, and he is still shooting it today. Try that with a Smith.

Amen brother!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the cylinder release as a button the best, and the push slide of the Smith second.

Nothing to do with strength, but just an aspect of the Ruger I prefer. But I also like how well the Ruger’s trigger stages. Which I suspect was on purpose with an eye toward hunters. At least, that is how I use it.

Posts: 10823 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my pistol hunting as been with a S&W 41 magnum 6", and a lesser amount of hunting with a S&W mod 58 4"...Ive shot some hot loads thru both with no ill effects..I think much is being made of nothing unless your just a real hot rod loader on the prod, then the heavier gun is your ticket..To me the ideal pistol is a S&W, with a double action trigger job, at least for hunting..For self protection I'll take a 4" Combat magnum 357 with 125 gr HP ammo or a Browning HI POwer 9MM, both have served me well.

The most important thing is buy the one that feels right to you and load it properly, that extra 100 FPS is Hooey, bullet placement with rifle or pistol is about all that really counts.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote